NL Cy Young Vote

Here is a challenge for objective and knowledgable fans (couldn't find any, so figured it couldn't hurt to put it here) ;) The following are 10 candidates for the NL Cy Young Award. Rate them 1-10 with 1 being the best as if you were a writer. In the spirit of this, please do not try to put names with the players. Some will be obvious, but try and do this based on only the information given, with no outside bias. Lastly, won-loss records are not given here, but most other stats are. Evaluate however you would like, based on the information provided only. This will not be easy. Enjoy!

Untitled Document

Player  ERA  IP  BB  CG  SV  WHIP 
1.29  69.2  36  21  62  47  0.82 
2.98  214.1  169  79  218  1.16 
2.19  82.1  53  22  114  45  0.91 
2.60  245.2  177  44  290  0.90 
3.49  237  233  62  206  1.24 
3.00  222.1  212  49  139  1.17 
2.98  196  145  81  239  1.15 
3.20  225  165  77  251  1.08 
2.70  237  201  32  264  0.98 
2.75  209.2  174  81  188  1.22 

Ok I'll play along -- You should have included Peavy though.  He backed his way into the ERA title.

1) D

2) I

3) G

4) H

5) J

6) B

7) A

8) F

9) C

10) E

I tried to be as unbiased as possible, even though I know who most of them are just by the numbers.

The way you have it is the way it should be in my opinion. I agree that peavy needs to be on the list even probally within the top 3-5. Also Doug davis was just as good as E era wise but did not have the run support to back him up.

I thought about Peavy, but he had 30 less IP than any of the other starters and I wanted to include a couple of relievers. I also wanted to limit the list to 10. Davis would have had the 2nd highest ERA and highest WHIP.

Cheat, our lists are pretty similar. I'll post my full list after others have had a chance to look at it.

Whichever is Roger Clemens I would vote for...I'm too damn lazy to research his exact stats.

Christ people! Why even post in this thread??? That was totally the opposite of the point of this. Learn to think outside the box a little bit and not be brainwashed by names or even won-loss records. How hard is it to follow the rules of this discussion or just not post at all??

I am not saying wins and losses don't have a place, but the previous posts just show you guys can't think outside the box. f***, give it a little effort, why don't you?

Christ people!  Why even post in this thread???  That was totally the opposite of the point of this.  Learn to think outside the box a little bit and not be brainwashed by names or even won-loss records.  How hard is it to follow the rules of this discussion or just not post at all??

I am not saying wins and losses don't have a place, but the previous posts just show you guys can't think outside the box.  f***, give it a little effort, why don't you?

Wait, so your saying that Roger Clemens is pitcher C?

:lolhitting

Seriously awesome post Rex...and you'll get my answer to this who should win by the numbers shortly :headbang

Christ people!  Why even post in this thread???  That was totally the opposite of the point of this.  Learn to think outside the box a little bit and not be brainwashed by names or even won-loss records.  How hard is it to follow the rules of this discussion or just not post at all??

I am not saying wins and losses don't have a place, but the previous posts just show you guys can't think outside the box.  f***, give it a little effort, why don't you?

Wow Rex... touchy touchy. Take it easy killer, you'll give yourself an ulser. f***ing hell. I am not very good at playing well with others anyway. I will take D by the numbers alone.

Wow Rex... touchy touchy. Take it easy killer, you'll give yourself an ulser. f***ing hell. I am not very good at playing well with others anyway. I will take D by the numbers alone.

I'm just fine. No ulcers here, trust me.

I was just a little insulted that you can't either play along or stay the f*** out it. I put an hour into putting that together last night and you piss on it because it is too hard to think for yourself.

Do what you want to do, but if I want to get pissy based on the way you handle it, then I feel I am in my rights to do so.

I'd say D, with I being the runner-up.  I'm interested to know who I voted for, because I honestly don't know the stats by heart.  I'm thinking it's two out of these four - Oswalt, Clemens, Johnson, Schmidt - but I'm not positive...

Good thread, Rex...  :cheers

I'll update the table with won-loss records and names after more people have had a chance to look at it, and perhaps even put a little thought into it.

Out of curiousity, are you of the camp that believes W/L and team position shouldn't be part of Cy Young/ MVP voting?

I know i am part of that group because the pitcher honestly can't do anything about what the offense does. He can only go out there and pitch and hope for the best offensive output possible.

I thought about Peavy, but he had 30 less IP than any of the other starters and I wanted to include a couple of relievers.  I also wanted to limit the list to 10.  Davis would have had the 2nd highest ERA and highest WHIP. 

Cheat, our lists are pretty similar.  I'll post my full list after others have had a chance to look at it.

I probally shouldn't have said davis should be on the list but i am sure he will get 1 or 2 votes out of the real cy young voting.

Out of curiousity, are you of the camp that believes W/L and team position shouldn't be part of Cy Young/ MVP voting?

No, I think it does matter. But I think too much emphasis is placed on it at times. I just wanted to try and get people to think beyond those for things for now.

FWIW, based on the numbers presented, I had Oswalt ranked 10th. In reality, I would probably rank him higher, somewhere in the middle of the pack. But looking at it this way, made me wonder why so many people are talking about him as being one of the favorites to win it. I didn't have to wonder long. They are biased based on one number - wins.

Don't get me wrong, wins are important. Good starting pitchers keep their teams in games, giving them a chance to win. But starting pitchers often have no control over wins either. Note I am talking about evaluating starting pitchers, not teams.

look at brandon webb as a good case of wins not showing his true value i know last year he was around .500 but with a sub 3 ERA IIRC, this year he finished like 7-16 or so with 3.4 ERA but aside from a few bad starts he would give up 2-3 runs and lose but maybe im being biased with webb