***NEWS-Sox trade for Juan Uribe

bulokis

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good hopefully it means Jose is on the move, preferable with Paul Konerko to LA for Perez and, hmmm, well now I don't know before I would have said Izturis, but I don't know, I'd take any of that relief corp of the Dodgers though.

This is what Baseball Prospectus said about Uribe before the season began.

"Too thick-headed to be a star? Uribe hasn't taken the time to learn English and it's hindering his progress. He's supporting a huge extended family on his minimum salary, and on the trip to Shea last year he'd bought tickets for dozens of friends and family members, and then spent the series trying to prove he could hit 600 foot homers. He wound up hitting 3 for 20 with no extra base hits. He's fast enough to steal a lot more bases than this. Hurdle stuck by him at first, but started to lose patience by season's end. They're done screwing around with him. They forced him to train all winter and had him report to Denver in January to work on "the mental and physical aspects of the game" with the new coaching staff. Not that anyone noticed but he doubled his walk rate last year. Espy can work with that. Now that Rey Sanchez and Orlando Cabrera have their historic seasons behind them, Uribe's the best fielding shortstop in the National Leage."

Last year's Scouting Notebook said in part "The biggest questionn he faces is whether he'll hit enough to play every day. he has a 2 piece swing, bringing his bat back, stopping, and starting over again. He has a problem with breaking balls, which is compounded by the fact he doesn't force pitchers to throw strikes. He is a good bunter...Uribe has spectacular defensive skills. Scouts rate his arm, range and hands near the top of the scale. He reads the ball very well off the bat, but has to concentrate better. All but a handful of his errors come on routine plays, as he tends to get a little lackadaisical."

You gotta think Ozzie will help him. I think it's a fine trade, moreso if it frees up Valentin to leave. I figure Jose is gone.

This is what Baseball Prospectus said about Uribe before the season began.

"Too thick-headed to be a star? Uribe hasn't taken the time to learn English and it's hindering his progress. He's supporting a huge extended family on his minimum salary, and on the trip to Shea last year he'd bought tickets for dozens of friends and family members, and then spent the series trying to prove he could hit 600 foot homers. He wound up hitting 3 for 20 with no extra base hits. He's fast enough to steal a lot more bases than this. Hurdle stuck by him at first, but started to lose patience by season's end. They're done screwing around with him. They forced him to train all winter and had him report to Denver in January to work on "the mental and physical aspects of the game" with the new coaching staff. Not that anyone noticed but he doubled his walk rate last year. Espy can work with that. Now that Rey Sanchez and Orlando Cabrera have their historic seasons behind them, Uribe's the best fielding shortstop in the National Leage."

Last year's Scouting Notebook said in part "The biggest questionn he faces is whether he'll hit enough to play every day. he has a 2 piece swing, bringing his bat back, stopping, and starting over again. He has a problem with breaking balls, which is compounded by the fact he doesn't force pitchers to throw strikes. He is a good bunter...Uribe has spectacular defensive skills. Scouts rate his arm, range and hands near the top of the scale. He reads the ball very well off the bat, but has to concentrate better. All but a handful of his errors come on routine plays, as he tends to get a little lackadaisical."

You gotta think Ozzie will help him. I think it's a fine trade, moreso if it frees up Valentin to leave. I figure Jose is gone.

Thanks for the info.

I've been high on Uribe since 2002. He hit .300 his rookie year, was the Rockies #1 SS prospect/hitting prospect. He's just 24. It'll be awesome if he plays full time. He beats up on the AL Central pitchers. He's just the guy we need. I think it's a steal. He's got some power too!