We got Politte!

Loaiza21

From MLB.com....FINALLY

CHICAGO -- There were a number of bonuses for Cliff Politte to derive by signing a contract with the Chicago White Sox.

For starters, the 29-year-old right-hander could return to a setup role after struggling as the closer for Toronto at the end of the 2003 season. He also will be playing only five or six hours from home, currently residing with his family in St. Louis.

But as an individual who makes his living throwing the baseball by some of the game’s toughest hitters with the final outcome on the line, the biggest plus for Politte might be switching divisions from the American League East to the Central. He now avoids facing the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox 18 or 19 times per season.

“The biggest key is not seeing Boston and New York once per week,” said Politte after signing a one-year contract worth $800,000 Wednesday with a club option set at $1.3 million for 2005. “That can ruin anyone’s career.

“I’ve been in a tough division with Boston and New York, and you can throw in Baltimore -- especially if they sign (Vladimir) Guerrero. It’s pretty tough from top to bottom.

“You look at the papers (last season) and you also see how well Minnesota, Chicago and Kansas City played in the Central,” Politte added. “It’s intriguing and should be a fun year. I’m excited to make a fresh start with the White Sox and be part of a good team.”

Politte was in Chicago on Wednesday afternoon taking his physical and the signing was announced later in the day. The seven-year veteran, who has also played for St. Louis and Philadelphia, mentioned that four or five other teams had expressed interest to his Chicago-based agent, Barry Meister, with the Colorado Rockies making a late push.

Most of the teams were looking to use Politte as a seventh- or eighth-inning reliever, where he excelled for the Phillies and Blue Jays in 2002. Politte struck out 72 and allowed 57 hits in 73 2/3 innings between the two teams, posting a 3-3 record and a 3.67 earned run average.

When Kelvim Escobar was moved into the Toronto starting rotation on May 2 of last season, Politte assumed the closer’s role and converted nine of his first 10 save opportunities. But he had a 13.03 ERA in June, a 9.64 ERA in September and finished 12-for-18 closing out games. Politte’s final numbers for 2003 were a 1-5 record with a 5.66 ERA.

The chance to work in front of Damaso Marte and Billy Koch in the late innings, in a role that he excelled, helped seal the deal with the White Sox.

“That had a lot to do with it,” said Politte of getting the chance to move back into a setup slot. “They have a good closer in Billy, and I’m excited to get into a role where they will rely on me setting up again.”

Politte relates to the closing struggles suffered in 2003 by Koch, who went from 44 saves and 11 victories with Oakland in 2002 to 11 saves and a 5.77 ERA with the White Sox. Politte mentioned that there’s a completely different mindset between pitching in the eighth and the ninth, as different as a hitter taking a first-pitch fastball in the eighth in an attempt to get on base vs. swinging at that same pitch in a possible last at-bat situation in the ninth, trying to tie or win a game.

During his struggles as the Toronto closer, Politte picked up a reputation as being too emotional or taking losses too hard. The well-spoken Politte agreed with the tag on a competitive level but disputed the label as more germane to his switch in roles.

“It’s kind of hard to say exactly, but it (stinks) to get that label,” Politte said. “I’m not emotional. I want to win, and when I fail, I beat myself up. That’s not necessarily a bad thing.

“That never put my career in jeopardy, and I didn’t have that problem in 2002. I tried to let people understand that my reaction was better than an approach of, ‘Oh, well. I’ll get them tomorrow.’”

Politte, who is 13-17 lifetime with a 4.52 ERA, has held right-handed hitters to a .238 career average. He earned $845,000 last season, but Toronto non-tendered him for 2004.

There was some concern over inflammation in his right shoulder that put Politte on the disabled list from June 29 to July 25. But Politte feels healthy now and ready to go.

“The right shoulder is great,” Politte said. “I had a little tendinitis and was weak in that area and probably went on the disabled list for too long.

“But I’ve been throwing since one week before Thanksgiving, and the shoulder has no problems. I’m looking forward to getting off the mound at the end of the week or the beginning of next week.”

Politte’s career experience at U.S. Cellular covers two innings, including a blown save on May 21 in a 6-5 loss to the White Sox last season when Carlos Lee launched a two-out, two-run, game-winning home run in the eighth inning. Politte took that loss in stride, although he did point out that Lee appeared to strike out on a checked swing with the two-strike pitch before the home run.

Now, Politte will only face Lee during intrasquad games in Tucson in February. It’s another bonus earned by signing with the White Sox.

“From my understanding, the White Sox were interested from the first day when they found out I was not tendered a contract,” Politte said. “It makes you feel good when you know a team is pushing to get you on the team.”

Scouting Report from ESPN.com:

Pitching & Defense

Politte could mature into a closer. He has excellent command of an overpowering four-seam fastball that is clocked regularly at 96 MPH and goes up to 98. He hits both sides of the plate, up and down. His slider runs 88-90 MPH, and he works in a two-seam fastball and a changeup. In his few chances, he showed well as a fielder. He is quick to the plate with a simple delivery and can get the ball home in 1.2 seconds, which should make him difficult to run on.

Hopefully this will work out. If he can regain his form and stay healthy and I have a feeling he will. Koch in my opinion will return to pitching like he did in oakland. The sox will have a pretty good bullpen, and hopefully santiago can continue to pitch like he did in cleveland, we should be ok. Heck Gordon had some shoulder problems and he returned from a bad season also. hopefully the same will happen this year.

I'm pretty sure Santiago was signed to a minor league deal worth 550,000 if he makes the team. I can't find a press release or anything for it though, so I may be mis-remembering.

Also, for those that were worried about Politte when the rumor first started, in the two months he wasn't closer his ERA's were 3.65 and 3.86 (very similar to 2002). Maybe he just couldn't handle the ninth inning pressure...I think it's a good pickup by the Sox. Good job Kenny.

Am I reading in between the lines too much, or did Politte just say that the AL Central blows?

He says that he is happy getting out of the AL East because it can "ruin a guy's career." So guys can make a living with better stats then they'd normally get in the AL Central, therefore making more money in the end? Or does this suggest that he was a little indimidated by New York and Boston, and if he were put into a real crucial spot in a game during the season that he would throw down his glove and put both hands around his neck and squeeze tightly?

Or am I just reading into this too much?

Anyways, I like the signing. Low-risk, high-reward type of signing. I'm hoping for a strong year from Politte.

This is a solid signing, then again I thought the same thing about Rick White last year so what do I know.

In my opinion, Rick White was a solid signing in theory, as is this one. White just pitched worse than anyone could have expected. Hopefully Politte can balance that out.

Good ol Cliff Polite eh.... the guy that served up Carlos's game winning 2 run homer in the bottom of the 8th back in May of last year.... I have the at bat on my computer, i bust it out every once in a while. Good times!

Anyway, i think this is a solid pickup, Would have liked to grab Hawkins instead, but since the mangy cubs got him, Politte will have to do... We need to get Ponson dammit!

Go Sox 2004 + #45!