14. Brad Radke 1.06 WHIP

15. Bronson Arroyo 1.07 WHIP

16. Jeremy Bonderman 1.10 WHIP

17. Josh Towers 1.10 WHIP

18. Odalis Perez 1.12 WHIP

19. Zack Greinke 1.12 WHIP

20. Bartolo Colon 1.15 WHIP

*Matt Morris has a 1.12 WHIP in 36 IP

Myers had a career 1.50 WHIP coming into this season, and Mike Hampton had a 1.53 WHIP in 2004. Before this season started, I'd have told you that both of them were suckers, but you can't argue with these numbers. I'm just trying to figure out what I'm missing.

Bonderman continues to impress...it appears as though all of the experts were correct.

Bartolo Colon with a 1.15 WHIP...who'd have thought that he'd actually be motivated to pitch up to his abilities this year. :huh

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Minimum: 55 IP

1. Pedro Martinez 0.71 WHIP

2. Roger Clemens 0.86 WHIP

3. Jake Peavy 0.92 WHIP

4. Brett Myers 0.94 WHIP

5. Johan Santana 0.94 WHIP

6. Roy Halladay 0.97 WHIP

7. Mark Prior 1.03 WHIP

8. Mark Buehrle 1.04 WHIP

9. Erik Bedard 1.04 WHIP

10. Carlos Zambrano 1.05 WHIP

11. Dontrelle Willis 1.06 WHIP

12. Mike Hampton 1.07 WHIP

13. Jon Garland 1.09 WHIP

14. Mike Redman 1.10 WHIP

15. Aaron Harang 1.11 WHIP

16. Roy Oswalt 1.13 WHIP

17. Brad Radke 1.13 WHIP

18. Bartolo Colon 1.13 WHIP

19. Jose Contreras 1.14 WHIP

20. Josh Beckett 1.15 WHIP

20. Kenny Rogers 1.15 WHIP

20. Javier Vazquez 1.15 WHIP

Newcomers in the Top 20: Carlos Zambrano, Mike Redman, Aaron Harang, Roy Oswalt, Jose Contreras, Josh Beckett, Kenny Rogers, Javier Vazquez.

Randy Johnson fell from #11 overall to #33 overall with the quickness. There are no Yankees on this list right now.

The White Sox have three starters in the Top 20...no other team has that many. The Twins, Cubs, Marlins, and Astros have two apiece.

I am still dumbfounded by what Brett Myers has done this year.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
Update

Minimum: 55 IP

1. Pedro Martinez 0.71 WHIP

2. Roger Clemens 0.86 WHIP

3. Jake Peavy 0.92 WHIP

4. Brett Myers 0.94 WHIP

5. Johan Santana 0.94 WHIP

6. Roy Halladay 0.97 WHIP

7. Mark Prior 1.03 WHIP

8. Mark Buehrle 1.04 WHIP

9. Erik Bedard 1.04 WHIP

10. Carlos Zambrano 1.05 WHIP

11. Dontrelle Willis 1.06 WHIP

12. Mike Hampton 1.07 WHIP

13. Jon Garland 1.09 WHIP

14. Mike Redman 1.10 WHIP

15. Aaron Harang 1.11 WHIP

16. Roy Oswalt 1.13 WHIP

17. Brad Radke 1.13 WHIP

18. Bartolo Colon 1.13 WHIP

19. Jose Contreras 1.14 WHIP

20. Josh Beckett 1.15 WHIP

20. Kenny Rogers 1.15 WHIP

20. Javier Vazquez 1.15 WHIP

Newcomers in the Top 20: Carlos Zambrano, Mike Redman, Aaron Harang, Roy Oswalt, Jose Contreras, Josh Beckett, Kenny Rogers, Javier Vazquez.

Randy Johnson fell from #11 overall to #33 overall with the quickness.  There are no Yankees on this list right now.

The White Sox have three starters in the Top 20...no other team has that many.  The Twins, Cubs, Marlins, and Astros have two apiece.

I am still dumbfounded by what Brett Myers has done this year.

Who woulda thunk that Jose would be up there. Obviously he's very hard to hit but with the amount of walks he usually issues you'd think there would be no chance for that. Well, he's been absolutely fantastic this year, hopefully it continues.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)
Obviously he's very hard to hit but with the amount of walks he usually issues you'd think there would be no chance for that. 

That is why

He has a BB/9 of 3.68, which is, I believe, the lowest of his career; at the very least, it is much lower than it was last year. His H/BB(a virtually useless stat that I just made up off the top of my head) is 1.78, meaning he walks a lot, but that he is also hard to hit...or it could mean that he is really really bad and that he has walked a s***potful and have given up that many more hits too. It could also mean that he has walked very few, given up very few hits, but that s*** doesn't happen, especially with Jose.

What I am trying to figure out is WTF is with all these pitchers breaking through? Steroid use actually was that widely used by the rest of the MLB? Harang, Bonderman, Myers, Garland, Capuano, Rogers, Bedard, Chen, Silva, Young, Santos...I never remember this many guys pitching much better than their career numbers this late into the season. It's almost ridiculous. Offenses all around are down, and do to direct cause/effect, pitching staffs are incredibly better.

Jose Canseco was right apparently?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 07:50 PM)
What I am trying to figure out is WTF is with all these pitchers breaking through?  Steroid use actually was that widely used by the rest of the MLB?  Harang, Bonderman, Myers, Garland, Capuano, Rogers, Bedard, Chen, Silva, Young, Santos...I never remember this many guys pitching much better than their career numbers this late into the season.  It's almost ridiculous.  Offenses all around are down, and do to direct cause/effect, pitching staffs are incredibly better. 

Jose Canseco was right apparently?

Tell me about it. When Bedard went on the DL, I added Chris Capuano to my squad. Since then, the guy has been amazing. I didn't know who he was even a month ago.

On the other hand, what's going on with relievers this year? I guess that we'll just save that discussion for another thread. :ph34r:

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
Tell me about it.  When Bedard went on the DL, I added Chris Capuano to my squad.  Since then, the guy has been amazing.  I didn't know who he was even a month ago. 

On the other hand, what's going on with relievers this year?  I guess that we'll just save that discussion for another thread. :ph34r:

Well, a lot of people said that relievers are (or were) big steroid users. So, maybe that's it :huh

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)
Well, a lot of people said that relievers are (or were) big steroid users.  So, maybe that's it :huh

I'll buy that if we're talking about closers beyond the age of 32 (whose skills have deteriorated somewhat, to the point where they need to cheat), but guys in the 26 to 29 age bracket just ain't turning out as they have in the past. So far, through 1/3 of the season, we have Lyon, Turnbow, and Brazoban. Hermanson is 33. Guys are failing to get the job done left and right. Teams like Atlanta and San Francisco are absolutely f***ed this year, as nobody can step up and close out games.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 08:12 PM)
I heard Viz has lost some speed on his pitches, think he was on the juice?

Look at Milwaukee's team pitching numbers:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/mil/stat...Pitching&type=0

Then look at what guys have done since they've left Milwaukee (Viz, Kolb).

Miller is one crazy motherf***ing pitchers park.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
Look at Milwaukee's team pitching numbers:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/mil/stat...Pitching&type=0

Then look at what guys have done since they've left Milwaukee (Viz, Kolb). 

Miller is one crazy motherf***ing pitchers park.

Or that whole pitching staff is on the juice.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
I heard Viz has lost some speed on his pitches, think he was on the juice?

Problem with Viz is he's just got slider happy, his fastball still has a ton of movement and good velocity on it, he just has to use it more imo.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
Problem with Viz is he's just got slider happy, his fastball still has a ton of movement and good velocity on it, he just has to use it more imo.

He hits 91-92 now when he use to throw 95 consistently. Three miles is a huge difference unless you are extremely good which we cannot say that much for vizcaino. He is surely not trevor hoffman or anyone or that ilk that has lost velocity and was still as good as ever.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 02:39 PM)
He hits 91-92 now when he use to throw 95 consistently. Three miles is a huge difference unless you are extremely good which we cannot say that much for vizcaino. He is surely not trevor hoffman or anyone or that ilk that has lost velocity and was still as good as ever.

Yes but 91-92 is plenty because he has a ton of sink on his fastball he just has to use it more.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
Yes but 91-92 is plenty because he has a ton of sink on his fastball he just has to use it more.

Has any sox player of done bad in your eyes? Ton of sink on his fastball? He either sinks it right down the middle of the plate or way out of the strike zone. No in between with this guy.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 02:55 PM)
Has any sox player of done bad in your eyes? Ton of sink on his fastball? He either sinks it right down the middle of the plate or way out of the strike zone. No in between with this guy.

When did I say he's doing good?? He's been terrible, I'm saying his fastball still has a lot of sink on it but yes you're right when he's thrown it, it has been down the middle of the plate and that is one reason he's been getting hit, however he still needs to use it more to set up his slider which is his best pitch.