Home Run Derby Thread.

rangercal

I know we are a week away. This is still one of my favorite non-game events to call everyone over get a case of beer and we each cheer on our own guy. (of course we have a little $ on it. ;) )

Does anyone know who's in it so far?

I heard Clee, Andruw Jones, and Jason Bay so far. Plus they have to be from different countries.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 02:16 AM)
Guys who should be included;

Morgan Ensberg

Cliff Floyd

Adam Dunn

Possibles;

Ken Griffey Jr.

Jermaine Dye

Troy Glaus

Keivn Mench

Jose Guillen

I would love to see Ensberg there . He was the Biggest snub this year IMO.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 02:53 AM)
The new rules are atrocious. The all-star break as a whole is a farce in my opinion.

The NBA is doing the same s*** with the international marketing. Could the NFL be next? No talent overseas (so probably not, for a while)

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 04:01 AM)
Is it North America vs World in the Homerun Derby?

No, instead of 4 AL 4 NL representatives. Their will be 8 players ,each representing a different country. From what I understand no country could have more than 1 represenative.

That means out of Manny Ramirez, David Ortiz and Miguel Tejada (all of who are from the D.R. ) Can not face each other because, only one can go.

It really is crap.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 07:49 AM)
And DLee turned down invitation so the US spot is up for grabs.

Which IMO Konerko should be representing. He got robbed off of the HR Derby back in 02 by Jason Giambi. :puke

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 04:57 AM)
No, instead of 4 AL  4 NL representatives. Their will be 8 players ,each representing a different country. From what I understand no country could have more than 1 represenative.

That means out of Manny Ramirez, David Ortiz and Miguel Tejada (all of who are from the D.R. )  Can not face each other because, only one can go.

It really is crap.

Pujols can't be in it either.... :bang

Edited by TheBlackSox8

Since Derrek Lee turned it down, the only ones I could think of is Garret Anderson (I remember his showcase at Comiskey two years ago), Teixeira, Gary Sheffield, Konerko and/or Jim Edmonds. That is if they are only allowing the the All-Stars to participate.

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
Adam Dunn joke of the week.

"Dunn is so poor with LHPs, that, he couldn't hit a HR off a lefty pitching coach in the home run derby."

Dunn is so bad against LHP, he couldn't hit off of Kevin Walker!!!!!!!!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

But seriously folks, Walker sucks.

Players I know are in it so far:

Canada - Bay

Caracoa - Jones

Panama - CLee

DR - Ortiz

Venezuela - Abreu

Puerto Rico - Ivan Rodriguez

US -

Japan -

And DLee turned down the invitation so the US spot is up for grabs. Teixiera, Konerko, G.Anderson. Are all possibilities.

The Japanese particapant has yet to be announced. It will probably be Ichiro WHEN Matsui doesn't win the 32nd man voting.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
Players I know are in it so far:

Canada - Bay

Caracoa - Jones

Panama - CLee

DR - Ortiz

Venezuela - Abreu

Puerto Rico - Ivan Rodriguez

US -

Japan -

And DLee turned down the invitation so the US spot is up for grabs. Teixiera, Konerko, G.Anderson. Are all possibilities.

The Japanese particapant has yet to be announced. It will probably be Ichiro WHEN Matsui doesn't win the 32nd man voting.

Palmeiro was in the derby last year when he wasn't an all-star. So, it doesn't necessarily mean Matsui won't be in the derby.

f***ing Pudge? He has 5 homers. But I guess they have to cater to the hometown fans *ahem*FRANKTHOMAS*ahem* and put their guy out there. And it'll just be a mockery if both Pudge and Ichiro are in it.

I'm sure it'll be very cute to watch it, especially since you can pretty much write off half the participants before it even starts.