Picture of Charles Haeger

farmteam

QUOTE(farmteam @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 04:07 PM)
Uh, is there something wrong if I like a name?

Not at all, its how I stumbled upon Fabio Castro a few years back. I saw the name, had no idea who he was and started laughing, than looked at the numbers and was like holy hell this guy is kicking butt.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 12:14 AM)
Not at all, its how I stumbled upon Fabio Castro a few years back.  I saw the name, had no idea who he was and started laughing, than looked at the numbers and was like holy hell this guy is kicking butt.

lol same with me, Im like that name is awesome than I realized he was a legitimate prospect so It made it twice as awesome.

Guest JimH

I think we should definitely do an interview with The Haegermeister. In fact I will volunteer to do it, who can put me in touch with the Barons people?

It's a cool human interest story, actually I think he may have been away from baseball for a year, or maybe injured. He resurfaced and he's throwing the knuckler, and quite successfully. He was such a longshot to make it and now he's definitely on the map. Let's learn more about this guy, I cannot be the guy who coined The Haegermeister, his teammates must've hung that on him long ago.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 04:37 PM)
I think we should definitely do an interview with The Haegermeister.  In fact I will volunteer to do it, who can put me in touch with the Barons people?

It's a cool human interest story, actually I think he may have been away from baseball for a year, or maybe injured.  He resurfaced and he's throwing the knuckler, and quite successfully.  He was such a longshot to make it and now he's definitely on the map.  Let's learn more about this guy, I cannot be the guy who coined The Haegermeister, his teammates must've hung that on him long ago.

Hey Jim

Not sure, but the Wilder interview should be happening in the next day or two. He's been busy the two times I called him and than I got stuck with training and have pretty much had zero time for FS. Cerb is going to be doing it now.

I'll get in contact with the Barons people tonight after I get home from the Angel game.

Here is a story on Charlie from Saturday's Birmingham Post-Herald....

The same place but different directions

Commentary by PAUL BEAUDRY

BIRMINGHAM POST-HERALD

The last time I saw Charlie Haeger, we were in the same place heading in different directions.

It was in Detroit Metropolitan Airport in 2002; I was headed to Birmingham for a weekend date, he was headed to Arizona for spring training.

The Chicago White Sox selected him in the 25th round of the 2001 draft. After covering him for two seasons at Detroit Catholic Central High School, truth be told, I was surprised he was taken so high.

That he joined the Birmingham Barons this week shows why I'm not a scout.

Haeger had a solid 6-0 record as a sophomore at CC helping the Shamrocks to a state title — a team lead by Michigan's Mr. Baseball that year, current Barons first baseman Casey Rogowski. But arm trouble kept him off the mound until the state playoffs as a junior as CC returned to the state finals. His senior year saw a solid 7-2 record with scouts clocking him at 84-87 mph — but more of a sneaky spot pitcher than overpowering.

I thought he had a better long-term future playing at Central Michigan University. Haeger, a 17-year-old pup who headed to Arizona hours after his high school graduation party, thought differently.

"I think I went on what my brother (Greg, the baseball coach at Michigan's Madonna University) said," said Charlie, who discovered the arm trouble was actually caused by a growth plate. "He was drafted by the (Detroit) Tigers and went to college instead. He said if he had a chance to do it again, he would have gone straight into baseball."

It might have been the case with Greg, but maybe not for Charlie. He struggled in his first two seasons, with a 1-7 record in Rookie League ball and an ERA three times higher than my high school GPA.

After two seasons, he walked away.

"I don't think I was mature enough yet," said Haeger. "I think I was a little young and I don't think I was ready to play ball with 19 and 23 year olds when I was 17. I was falling out of love with baseball. I thought I'd try something else."

Haeger returned to Michigan, helped his brother coach baseball and took a spot on Madonna's golf team. He began to think he quit too soon. And that a pitch he'd dabbled with all his life might be his ticket back.

"When I helped out Greg, I started missing the game again and realized I still had so much ahead of me," said Haeger. "When I left, I always had the opportunity to come back from (assistant player development director) Brian Porter. So I did."

In the process, he became a very dangerous pitcher.

"I had the velocity back to where I was before, about 88 mph," said Haeger. "But I had started to throw the knuckleball before I quit and developed it. Now I throw it 80-85 percent of the time."

The knuckleball's penchant for driving hitters crazy, of course, makes his current pitching coach very happy.

"Yeah, the days he's pitched I've been able to just sit back and watch him," said Rich Dotson, who dabbled with his own knuckler toward the end of his playing career in Kansas City. "It's a nice way to mix it up because when you throw a 65-68 mph knuckler and you come in with an 84 mph fastball, it looks like its 94-95 mph. There isn't a lot for me to do other than see if he's rushing or dropping his arm a bit."

Baseball has become fun again. Haeger didn't have a great record at 2-9 in 2004 at Rookie League Bristol and low-A Kannapolis, but his ERA dove four runs at Kannapolis. An 8-2 start at Winston-Salem this season gave the Sox a reason to move him to Birmingham.

"The biggest thing is I'm just keeping it as a game. Before there was a lot of pressure on myself to succeed," said Haeger, who won his first Barons' start and will go again Monday at Huntsville.

So here we are again. He's trying to move up the baseball ladder and part of my job is to write about it.

We're in the same place again, heading in different directions.

Yeah, I saw the one from the Barons site, but I couldn't figure out how to copy it. When I right clicked it, it didn't do anything. If someone can find a way to get it to a state where one of the wizards here can use it in a sig, I would be forever greatful.

• 3 weeks later...

:gosox3:

Hello, I'm Stephanie, Charlie's cousin. I can do my best to try to get you a photo..we havenm't seen him in awhile, but when I do, I can try to get a pic, and send it to you. I also have one of his baseball cards where he is dressed in his White socks gear. Let me know...

QUOTE(Chuck's cuz @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 08:30 AM)

Hello, I'm Stephanie, Charlie's cousin. I can do my best to try to get you a photo..we havenm't seen him in awhile, but when I do, I can try to get a pic, and send it to you. I also have one of his baseball cards where he is dressed in his White socks gear. Let me know...

Welcome to SoxTalk! :cheers

QUOTE(Chuck's cuz @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 08:30 AM)

White socks gear? :huh:

QUOTE(Chuck's cuz @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 11:58 AM)

Yeah, it was from when he was with the Bristol White Sox. I may have spoke wrong, sorry. I was in a hurry to go somewhere...

Well if you are interested in keeping up with our cuz, you are in the right place :). If you find a pic and need some help you can PM me and I will help you out.

Welcome to Soxtalk :cheers

Really nice pic!!!! I don't really have any of him because I haven't been privilaged enough to go watch him play. If I give you my address, and send you some money, could you send me one??? It would be great..thanks

Stephanie :) (Charlie' cousin)

QUOTE(Chuck's cuz @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)
Really nice pic!!!! I don't really have any of him because I haven't been privilaged enough to go watch him play. If I give you my address, and send you some money, could you send me one??? It would be great..thanks

Stephanie :)  (Charlie' cousin)

Sure I have that one and of him down in the Bullpen warming up