Ross Gload Question

Wedge

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 08:41 AM)
Gload is getting healthy, it sounds like and hopefully will join the team soon.  My question: can he play 3B to spell Crede sometimes?

fyi: from baseball 101 for idiots: players who throw lefthanded play 1b or OF, and never 3b, SS, 2b, C"

fyi: from baseball 101 for idiots: players who throw lefthanded play 1b or OF, and never 3b, SS, 2b, C"

:lol:

Not trying to be mean to wedge, but this was my first good laugh-out-loud for the week, thanks daa.

was I serious? you'll never know ;)

EDIT: Honestly, I forgot about the throwing lefty thing. You see a lot of lefties playing infield, but I forgot that they had to throw righty. Also, haven't seen Gload play in a long time. Oops.

Edited by Wedge

Why does this question keep getting asked? There is no logical reason to think Gload could play 3B and one very logical reason to know that is not an option. Yet, from time to time, somebody will float this "idea".

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 08:55 AM)
was I serious?  you'll never know ;)

EDIT: Honestly, I forgot about the throwing lefty thing.  You see a lot of lefties playing infield, but I forgot that they had to throw righty.  Also, haven't seen Gload play in a long time.  Oops.

no worries, sorry if my first post was a little on the harsh side, it was meant to be funny, and apparently jimh thought so. its not a bad idea, having another player being able to perhaps spell or play 3rd, but gload isnt the right player. too bad konerko can't anymore, he used to be able to (as well as catch). even still if a guy like konerko, assuming he still could, defense i think is way too critical for this ball team to have such a significant dropoff

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 09:55 AM)
Why does this question keep getting asked?  There is no logical reason to think Gload could play 3B and one very logical reason to know that is not an option.  Yet, from time to time, somebody will float this "idea".

I ended up letting Ross Gload catch the 9th inning of a game in MVP. :bang

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 09:33 AM)
And why is it that a lefty can't catch?

Simple: Large majority of hitters are right handed. A left-handed catchers throw would be obstructed more often by the batter than would a normal right-handed catchers would.

Glad I could help....

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 09:50 AM)
Simple: Large majority of hitters are right handed. A left-handed catchers throw would be obstructed more often by the batter than would a normal right-handed catchers would.

Glad I could help....

Yup. That's just elementary. You can go back in history and count the successful left-handed catchers on one hand.

It's little league stuff.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 03:50 PM)

Glad I could help....

Ah, that would explain why there's no right handed pitchers since their back is to the runner on first and their pickoff throw is obstructed.

Thanks for the help.

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 11:17 AM)
Ah, that would explain why there's no right handed pitchers since their back is to the runner on first and their pickoff throw is obstructed.

Thanks for the help.

But ... since the majority of hitters are RH, then RH pitchers are needed because they are generally better at getting them out. You may not agree with reasons that there are no LH catchers, but I'd say 100+ years of baseball history with the only LH catchers being publicity stunts or whatever pretty well closes that argument.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 04:51 PM)
But ... since the majority of hitters are RH, then RH pitchers are needed because they are generally better at getting them out.  You may not agree with reasons that there are no LH catchers, but I'd say 100+ years of baseball history with the only LH catchers being publicity stunts or whatever pretty well closes that argument.

The relative scarcity of lefties over the 100+ yrs, Bias by coaches, the proclivity to put a lefty with the gun to be a catcher onto the mound instead, and maybe the heart of the matter the near non-existence of lefty catchers mitts at the little league level. All of these may be valid reasons given for the dearth of lefty catchers but some excuse about being obstructed for throws when no such thing happens for righty catchers with lefty hitters is as lame as it gets.

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)
The relative scarcity of lefties over the 100+ yrs, Bias by coaches, the proclivity to put a lefty with the gun to be a catcher onto the mound instead, and maybe the heart of the matter the near non-existence of lefty catchers mitts at the little league level. All of these may be valid reasons given for the dearth of lefty catchers but some excuse about being obstructed for throws when no such thing happens for righty catchers with lefty hitters is as lame as it gets.

I'll still bank on the knowledge of thousands of professionals for over a hundred years. Players, managers, coaches. Minor league players, managers, coaches. College and high school coaches. If having a LH catcher was actaully doable .. it would have been done.

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 10:17 AM)

Thanks for the help.

Wow, I didn't know someone could lay on apparent sarcasm as thick as their own skull. :headshake

I give you the correct, blatantly obvious, and widely known answer to the question and you give me this horses*** back? Unlike another poster who says it's little league, basic knowledge I simply answered your question. I didn't ridicule you...

The fact you can't accept the correct answer is your own problem. There is no coach bias, lack of lefty catcher mitts or any other conspiracy involved. It is what is... :bang

Lefties that threw left handed at the catching position.

1,073 Clements, Jack

272 Trott, Sam

202 Tate, Pop

186 Sutcliffe, Sy

128 Harbridge, Bill

99 Hines, Mike

75 Humphries, John

71 Tenney, Fred

52 Twineham, Art

50 Baker, Phil

45 Donahue, Jiggs

35 Oldfield, Dave

34 Householder, Charlie

21 Malone, Fergy

16 McMahon, Jack

12 Krehmeyer, Charlie

7 WallL, Joe

5 Foster, Elmer

3 DiStefano, Benny

3 Hillebrand, Homer

2 Egan, Jim

2 Long, Dale

2 Squires, Mike

1 Cassidy, John

1 Eden, Charlie

1 Marr, Lefty

1 Mullen, John

1 Powell, Martin

1 Redmon, Billy

1 Short, Chris

Babe ruth was also a left handed catcher...

Perhaps most interesting was our discovery that the game's greatest player, Babe Ruth, was a left-handed catcher. At the National Sports Gallery, we learned that a young Babe caught left-handed, despite the lack of equipment. In his own words:

"We had no catcher's mitt built for left handers, of course. We were lucky to have any kind of mitt. I'd used the regular catcher's mitt on my left hand, received the throw from the pitcher, take off the glove and throw it back to him left handed. When I had to throw to a base, trying to catch a runner, I'd toss the glove away, grab the ball with my left hand and heave it with everything I had."

Edited by qwerty