High Stakes: Williams Should Be Let Go . . .

Wealz

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What did Williams do wrong?

The team he put together had a 15 game lead.

The team he put together has given the White Sox the best record in a few years.

No one that was traded would have stopped what has happened.

There was no one available for a reasonable price.

Lets fire some one just to fire them though because there has to be a scape goat right?

Kenny did his job.

He gave the White Sox a chance to win.

Now it is up to the coaches and players to execute

SB

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)
Nice try.  But he won't be.

Next, Fire Ozzie.

Next, GET A BAT.

Nice try.  And that will probably happen.

If they do choke completely, somebody should and will be fired. It would be KW before Ozzie, even though Ozzie deserves to be fired more. Also, someone like Walker would be fired.

A collapse of that magnitude would positively result in someone losing their job, and it wouldn't just be players.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)

Next, Fire Ozzie.

Next, GET A BAT.

Nice try.  And that will probably happen.

The hangover effect from a collapse would be so severe that I think you'd be best served to blow this entire thing up and start over. Yep, Ozzie'd be a candidate to lose his job, but given the contract extension he got that won't happen. Kenny Williams is next in line and since his 2003 team also flopped it would make perfect sense for him to be the one to pay.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
If the Sox pull the historic collapse Kenny Williams has to lose his job.

And go back to Schueler and Manuel? HELL NO!

We are very close now. Two more good bats (3B & DH) and a reliever during this offseason will do wonder for the team next year.

If we are going to fire someone for the sake of firing, Walker is the one.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 02:03 PM)
If they do choke completely, somebody should and will be fired.  It would be KW before Ozzie, even though Ozzie deserves to be fired more.  Also, someone like Walker would be fired.

A collapse of that magnitude would positively result in someone losing their job, and it wouldn't just be players.

Yep. There will be no way that KW or JR or Ozzie can spin this would-be collapse off and be able to convince the fans that this is the right ship to ride. The only way fans could possibly be attracted back, in my opinion, would be through change. And firing the players is not a viable option...

By doing absolutely nothing you mean completely changed the dynamic of the team from being focused on winning games by outscoring, to winning games by pitching and defense?

Not to mention that most of the players are resigned for next year, meaning if we get rid of Williams, then the next GM will either have to try and win with Kenny's team, or will have to scrap it and start over.

Williams takes chances, some times they pan out, some times they dont. But when people sit here and slam him for not making a trade this year, it just is ignorance. It was not like Griffey was traded for a bag of balls and we made no offer. Its not like there were all these great players that moved teams.

Most of the trades were for bench players and the White Sox would have to have over paid for something that might have been worthless.

Williams did the job.

He put his team in position to win, and he did not sell the farm to do it. That way if we do come up short, we still have the firepower to compete again next year, and the next few years.

SB

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
By doing absolutely nothing you mean completely changed the dynamic of the team from being focused on winning games by outscoring, to winning games by pitching and defense?

Success is not measured by the number of changes a GM makes. Success is measure by the number of rings, playoff games won, playoff series' reached...Show me KW's mantle of success. Empty! 5 years...

QUOTE(S720 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
And go back to Schueler and Manuel?  HELL NO!

We are very close now.  Two more good bats (3B & DH) and a reliever during this offseason will do wonder for the team next year. 

If we are going to fire someone for the sake of firing, Walker is the one.

Firing a hitting coach should an historic collapse occur? You have to give me more, much more, than that.

What did Williams do wrong?

The team he put together had a 15 game lead.

The team he put together has given the White Sox the best record in a few years.

No one that was traded would have stopped what has happened.

There was no one available for a reasonable price.

Lets fire some one just to fire them though because there has to be a scape goat right?

Kenny did his job.

He gave the White Sox a chance to win.

Now it is up to the coaches and players to execute

SB

Not to mention that most of the players are resigned for next year, meaning if we get rid of Williams, then the next GM will either have to try and win with Kenny's team, or will have to scrap it and start over.

Williams takes chances, some times they pan out, some times they dont. But when people sit here and slam him for not making a trade this year, it just is ignorance. It was not like Griffey was traded for a bag of balls and we made no offer. Its not like there were all these great players that moved teams.

Most of the trades were for bench players and the White Sox would have to have over paid for something that might have been worthless.

Williams did the job.

He put his team in position to win, and he did not sell the farm to do it. That way if we do come up short, we still have the firepower to compete again next year, and the next few years.

SB

I agree 1 million % on everything you said, you hit it on the head

They need to do something about the ease of the ball flying out of the park at the cell.

Either move the fences back or something. They moved the fences in when they had the team that mashed the ball to death, now we completely change our formula and having the fences so close is a bad thing. It makes our hitters stupid at times.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 03:19 PM)
They need to do something about the ease of the ball flying out of the park at the cell.

Either move the fences back or something.  They moved the fences in when they had the team that mashed the ball to death, now we completely change our formula and having the fences so close is a bad thing.  It makes our hitters stupid at times.

Can teams legally do that? Move the fences in and out to their discretion.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)
Success is not measured by the number of changes a GM makes.  Success is measure by the number of rings, playoff games won, playoff series' reached...Show me KW's mantle of success.  Empty!  5 years...

Exactly. For all those saying it wasn't KW's fault there was nothing of significance done at the deadline because the price was too high, KW's options were to overpay and improve the team's chances, or acquire Geoff Blum and hope the Sox got real lucky. Its beginning to look like he made the wrong decision. I'm sick of waiting till next year, JR should be too. If the collapse occurs and the Sox miss the playoffs, KW and OG should be sent packing. They won't obviously, but if this season turns into failure, it won't bode well on the White Sox immediate future. Also FWIW,KW has been given the luxury of the highest payroll in the division, so money isn't an excuse

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)
Exactly. For all those saying it wasn't KW's fault there was nothing of significance done at the deadline because the price was too high, KW's options were to overpay and improve the team's chances, or acquire Geoff Blum and hope the Sox got real lucky. Its beginning to look like he made the wrong decision. I'm sick of waiting till next year, JR should be too. If the collapse occurs and the Sox miss the playoffs, KW and OG should be sent packing. They won't obviously, but if this season turns into failure, it won't bode well on the White Sox immediate future. Also FWIW,KW has been given the luxury of the highest payroll in the division, so money isn't an excuse

Think of the revenue that the Injuns will bring in after having a 41 million dollar payroll this year and making the playoffs.

Trust me Shapiro will spend to add more to that team. The indians used to have one of the highest payrolls in baseball.

OK now THIS is extreme. If the Sox flame out we fire KW. I was no fan of his until this year.

I look at it this way: what they did, everybody hated. Oh, you guys are doomed by giving away Lee and Mags! Small ball will never work!

And lo and behold we were the best team in baseball and in first place all year until at least the last two weeks.

Sounds like they got it half right: pitching/defense, check. Offense--ouch!

But what do you do? Crede is a great 3B but his bat sucks? Uribe is an awesome SS but he's been underwhelming. Rowand was his own ESPN highlight reel in CF but his bat has been awful. So do you dump the solid defenders in hope of better bats? That's a tough call.

How many of you honestly thought we'd turn it around this fast? I thought it'd be a couple of years for the "Ozzie ball" to take hold. I didn't think we would dominate like we did until we started to run out of gas.

I won't be calling for anybody's head until after next season, if nothing changes.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 02:25 PM)
OK now THIS is extreme.  If the Sox flame out we fire KW.  I was no fan of his until this year. 

I look at it this way: what they did, everybody hated.  Oh, you guys are doomed by giving away Lee and Mags!  Small ball will never work!

And lo and behold we were the best team in baseball and in first place all year until at least the last two weeks.

Sounds like they got it half right: pitching/defense, check.  Offense--ouch!

But what do you do?  Crede is a great 3B but his bat sucks?  Uribe is an awesome SS but he's been underwhelming.  Rowand was his own ESPN highlight reel in CF but his bat has been awful.  So do you dump the solid defenders in hope of better bats?  That's a tough call.

How many of you honestly thought we'd turn it around this fast?  I thought it'd be a couple of years for the "Ozzie ball" to take hold.  I didn't think we would dominate like we did until we started to run out of gas.

I won't be calling for anybody's head until after next season, if nothing changes.

We lost over the last few years because of a lack of an option at the 5 starter and problems in the bullpen.

If you take this pitching staff and insert them on those teams 2003, 2004 they run away with the division.

I don't know whether the meaning of this thread is that KW should be fired, or that KW will be fired, so I'm just going to say it this way.

KW put together a good team and was very shrewd in doing so. But, if this collapse occurs, he almost definitely WILL be fired. Maybe it doesn't sound fair, but someone has to pay. That's just how things work. Also, it's not as if KW has done anything in his tenure as GM to earn his job. He's failed every year, and this would be just another failure. He may not deserve to be fired, but he likely would be, and he hasn't done enough to ensure job safety.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
Think of the revenue that the Injuns will bring in after having a 41 million dollar payroll this year and making the playoffs.

Trust me Shapiro will spend to add more to that team.  The indians used to have one of the highest payrolls in baseball.

they rank near the bottom of the MLB in attendance however. I dont think their payroll will increase significantly.

Secondly, we still have the best record in the AL, how many times has a GM or Manager been fired over that? If we were in our division last year with this record, would you still be calling for the same thing?