JUAN PIERRE

JUGGERNAUT

Ozzie makes the proclamation he wants a new #2 hitter. Did he have Pierre in mind?

Pierre might be growing to big for the Marlin's purse-strings. What would it take to pry him from the Marlins? What will it take to sign him to a multi-year?

A Pierre move would send Dye to either 1B or DH depending on whether Kong resigns.

Dye had DH does not exclude the possibility of re-signing Thomas for DH. Dye could play DH, backup 1B, & backup RF. With the way Ozzie likes to use his bench Dye would still see 400 AB's in such a role.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
Ozzie makes the proclamation he wants a new #2 hitter.  Did he have Pierre in mind?

Pierre might be growing to big for the Marlin's purse-strings.  What would it take to pry him from the Marlins?  What will it take to sign him to a multi-year?

A Pierre move would send Dye to either 1B or DH depending on whether Kong resigns.

Dye had DH does not exclude the possibility of re-signing Thomas for DH.  Dye could play DH, backup 1B, & backup RF.  With the way Ozzie likes to use his bench Dye would still see 400 AB's in such a role.

Rowand/ Marte for Pierre or Rowand/Marte/Gload/contreras for Delgado/Pierre

I can dream

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
Ozzie makes the proclamation he wants a new #2 hitter.  Did he have Pierre in mind?

Pierre might be growing to big for the Marlin's purse-strings.  What would it take to pry him from the Marlins?  What will it take to sign him to a multi-year?

Dye had DH does not exclude the possibility of re-signing Thomas for DH.  Dye could play DH, backup 1B, & backup RF.  With the way Ozzie likes to use his bench Dye would still see 400 AB's in such a role.

Jermaine isn't backing up anyone. If Pierre is the player Ozzie wants, KW will talk some sense into him.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 03:15 PM)
This guy is trash.  The other team in this city can have him.  Pass.

I welcome your statistics.

I agree, where would he play, why would we do that to ourselves, and whose idea was this.

All of a sudden there is a notion on this board to make our OF the lightest hitting bunch in the MLB, weird.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 02:15 PM)
This guy is trash.  The other team in this city can have him.  Pass.

I welcome your statistics.

Juan isn't trash at all, he's been a very good leadoff hitter for all of his career. That being said there really is no room for him on this team.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 03:55 PM)
Juan isn't trash at all, he's been a very good leadoff hitter for all of his career.  That being said there really is no room for him on this team.

He was one of the biggest disappointments in all of baseball last year.

Check out that on-base percentage. You want that, coupled with bad defensive play, as a member of your 2006 outfield?

You can have it.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)

Check out that on-base percentage.  You want that, coupled with bad defensive play, as a member of your 2006 outfield?

You can have it.

Bad defense means weak arm right? Does rowand have bad defense because of the s*** arm he had shown all last year? Pierre would be our second best outfielder.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 10:26 PM)
Bad defense means weak arm right? Does rowand have bad defense because of the s*** arm he had shown all last year? Pierre would be our second best outfielder.

Pierre is like Podsednik in terms of defense. Both have great speed, but you would expect them to have better instincts in the field. Considering that Pierre will make 6 million in his last season prior to FA, I'd definitely pass on him.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 05:26 PM)

You kidding? Pierre would be the worst defender in just about any outfielder (maybe, just maybe, Damon would be lower than him)

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(qwerty @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 04:26 PM)

Oh, bloody hell. Yes, weak arm. I didn't think that needed clarification.

EDIT: and from what I've seen...he has Podsednik-esq jumps. Poor defender given his fantastic speed. So, I'll stand by my statement.

Edited by AddisonStSox

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
You kidding?  Pierre would be the worst defender in just about any outfielder (maybe, just maybe, Damon would be lower than him)

LOLOLOLOLOL. You think a weak arm means you are automatically a bad defender. Amazing.

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 02:27 PM)
You kidding?  Pierre would be the worst defender in just about any outfielder (maybe, just maybe, Damon would be lower than him)

Ummm...Damon isn't what he once was, but for a long time he was an upper echelon defensive outfielder. There is no way Damon is the worse defender in all of baseball, nor is Juan Pierre.

Just because neither have good arms, doesn't mean they are bad defenders.

Check out that on-base percentage.  You want that, coupled with bad defensive play, as a member of your 2006 outfield?

You can have it.

Yeah, because 1 year makes a career. I guess the Sox should look back into acquiring Esteban Loaiza since he had a great 1 year.

You can have it.

According to this logic, the White Sox should have never traded for Jose Contreras, should have never signed AJ Pierzynski, and it also makes the Carlos Lee trade one of the worst in recent history.

Pierre is coming off a down year offensively, and is a FA after the '06 season IIRC, meaning his value is at an all-time low. You bring him in for a solid, but not spectacular pitcher(I could see perhaps a package of simply Marte and Harris working for Pierre, to be quite honest...in fact, I almost view that as overpriced, but it's doable. Obviously, you would not make just that trade without trading Rowand, because by trading for Pierre, you then really kill any value Rowand had...or perhaps you increase it, with multiple teams going after him knowing he is available). When the guy is right, he's a .310 hitter, putting up 40 XBHs a year, getting on at a .375 clip, and stealing 50-70 bases(though not always at the standard 75% productive rate).

I'm also not sure where you get this bad defensive play. His talent alone lets him catch up to balls he misreads, and while he has a noodle arm, a good arm is not a necessity out of a CFer. You just want excellent range, something Pierre does have.

Personally...I'd love Pierre in Chicago. I'd hate to see Rowand go, because I love the guy, but by bringing in Pierre, you are satisfying Ozzie's thirst for more speed. You can then look to build Rowand up as a good hitter with solid power with just great defense all-around, and you either get a hell of a good package for him, or you use him as a bigger part of a package for another hitter. You then look to resign PK and go from there.