Bob Nightengale: Sox Tell Phills They Want Thome

Wealz

"High-ranking club officials revealed that the White Sox have informed the Phillies that they want first baseman Jim Thome.

And, yes, the Phillies replied, Thome is very much available. Trading Thome would clear room for Rookie of the Year Ryan Howard.

The Phillies have several suitors for Thome, but with $43.5 remaining in his contract, they will likely have to swallow nearly half of his salary. The Phillies also realize that their offseason options could be severely limited by Thome, who has a no-trade clause.

And guess where he'd love to play next year? On the South Side of Chicago.

The White Sox believe that Thome can help bring them another World Series championship. He not only provides insurance in case free agent first baseman Paul Konerko flees for a potential five-year, $65 million contract offer from the Angels, but he becomes the finest DH in the game if Konerko returns."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/columni...16-majors_x.htm

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nightengale is the man. I tend to agree that Thome/Delgado are probably the Sox #1 targets. I'd lean to Thome being the main target because he actually has a desire to come back home and play in Chicago (well, at least more so than Delgado who hates Chicago).

The only thing I wonder is what type of package Philly would want. If it was centered around Marte, El Duque and great prospects I'd make the deal (as well as the Sox taking on the contract). However if we start talking about Chris Young and Bmac or some starting pitching (or even Aaron Rowand), I'd be less inclined.

However, I do wonder about Jason Michaels and if he could come in a deal (with the Sox including Aaron Rowand). Thats about the only way I'd include Aaron in the package. I do think Ryan Sweeney would be a definate part of this package.

Jim Thome and Paul Konerko would look damn good. Plus wasn't Thome's injury an elbow one (and unrelated to his back). I think he'll be able to recover from the elbow and he's been able to play through his back for most of his career.

I'd love to take this chance. The Sox are defending World Champs and have a little leeway to take a chance like this.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 03:57 PM)
Also.. I'm gonna get some details on his work ethic, clubhouse persona, etc.  just in case this holds some water.

Sounds good, from what I've heard throuhout his whole career is that he's one of the best guys in the majors, he's supposed to be a real class act.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
Good grief.. soon the entire Indians squad will have passed through our doors.

Also.. I'm gonna get some details on his work ethic, clubhouse persona, etc.  just in case this holds some water.

Everything I've ever heard is that he's a great teammate. A good guy in the clubhouse and a hard worker. But thats just what I've read and seen quoted by some of his teammates.

The entire article is interesting. It implies the Sox were the most agressive team that the winter meetings (or one of the most) and that they are very much interested in Bill Mueller.

I'm a Mueller fan but I love Crede and the way he plays. My guess is Mueller will get a decent size contract and I assume Boston is not interested in resigning him (Youkalis or Hanley will supplant him???). That said I'd still think he could get 4-5 million a year and thats too much for a backup. At 2 million I'd definately take him because he could play 3rd and 2nd. Hell, I got to be honest, I'd take him over Iguchi, but the Sox aren't going to be moving Tadahito (although I must say, of any of the Sox everyday infielders, the most likely I'd see them replace is Iguchi, well Konerko too, but thats only if he gets a ridiculous offer).

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
Whats Thome's health issues like, not just last year but lifetime. Seems to me he has been pretty durable throughout his career....

Missed most of this season with an elbow injury. Aside from that he's had some flareups with his back, but has been able to play through them. Prior to 05, he had 4 straight 40+ HR seasons and 6 straight 100 RBI seasons.

His avg season is .281 AVG, .408 OBP, 40 HR, 111 RBI. He's 35 years old and turns 36 in August next year.

Realistically thome seems to be too big of a crap shoot unless they eat two thirds of the entire contract... not just half. I still really don't see delgado getting moved this season. Makes little sense to me. Just have a hunch neither thome or delgado will ever be on the white sox.

Ummmm something i dont think anyone has pointed out yet. But I DO believe that Thome is the most dangerous opposing team hitter who has ever played at the Cell. At least one of the most dangerous, I think he has hit the most Hr's there by an opposing hitter, i could be wrong, and im not going to look it up but I think its around 18

Nightengale has been fairly good with his predictions. At least, he seems to have good sources, which is more than I can say for most. I have read that the Phillies may have to eat closer to 2/3rds of his contract in order to get decent players in return.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 09:57 PM)

Well, from the people I know, he's possibly the best clubhouse leader in baseball.

Alright, let's pull it in just a little bit.

Do NOT expect to see both Konerko and Thome etched in the same 2006 lineup together on the Southside of Chicago.

Thome would be a member of the Pale Hose, if, and only if, Konerko's contract demand can not be met, or the Sox wish to part ways with Paulie. You will not be seeing both in the same lineup...at least not in Black and Silver.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 05:28 PM)

Do NOT expect to see both Konerko and Thome etched in the same 2006 lineup together on the Southside of Chicago.

Thome would be a member of the Pale Hose, if, and only if, Konerko's contract demand can not be met, or the Sox wish to part ways with Paulie.  You will not be seeing both in the same lineup...at least not in Black and Silver.

If you erase Thome from last year, he is the better player.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)

Thome would be a member of the Pale Hose, if, and only if, Konerko's contract demand can not be met, or the Sox wish to part ways with Paulie.  You will not be seeing both in the same lineup...at least not in Black and Silver.

From the sounds of it the Sox aren't waiting on Thome. They'd jump on him and hope the Konerko situation worked itself out. The last thing the white Sox want to do is have Konerko walk and have zero options at 1st and DH. If that happens opposing GM's have all the bargaining power because they know the Sox are desperate.

Kenny acts now and he gets better value and based on the quotes thats exactly what he plans to do. I expect the Sox to make a large move by the end of the Winter meetings.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 10:28 PM)

I think there's a solid chance we could afford both. This is a much different scenario that the PK/Delgado pipe dream.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)

A Baseball Digest article I found:

Jim Thome: blue-collar slugger

Jim Thome: An Underrated Good Guy

WHEN JIM THOME WAS ADDED TO THE NATIONAL LEAGUE ALL-STAR TEAM LAST JULY, PITCHER RANDY WOLF CALLED the first baseman at home to offer congratulations. As soon as the Phillies reported to Citizens Bank Park the next afternoon, Thome walked over to Wolf's locker and thanked him for his thoughtfulness.

"I bet everybody on the team called him," Wolf said, "and I bet he thanked everybody individually. He's the most genuine guy I've ever met."

If not universal, that assessment of Thome is as far-reaching as relationships in baseball allow. In e survey conducted among all major league teams by reporters for Tribune Co., the slugger was judged the best teammate in the game. His 14 votes were culled from members of four different clubs who played alongside him in either Cleveland or Philadelphia and almost tripled the total of three players who shared second place with five votes.

"That's a pretty neat honor," Thome said. "Maybe you understand what another guy is going through and try to support him. It's similar to having a brother. You care about him. You want hire to do well."

When the Phillies signed the free agent to a six-year contract in December 2002, they got more than the most productive home run hitter in the big leagues over the last two-plus seasons. They also got less, thanks to an ego no bigger than his glove.

"He has that superstar status because of his personal success," veteran outfielder Doug Glanville said. "But he doesn't see himself above others. He embraces everybody. He plays like an extra just trying to make the team. He respects the game."

It took some of the Phillies a few weeks to realize that the man was as good as the vibes he gave out, as real as the hearty handshake he offered. They found that he was just as approachable after an O-for-4 day as after a multi-homer game, that he cared more about the team than individual honors.

"He's never moody," catcher Mike Lieberthal said. "He's the same guy every day. What's impressive is the way he carries himself on the field when things aren't going well--and when they are."

Thome didn't have to sell himself to his new teammates. Nor did he consider the possibility.

"You are who you are," the man said. "I was blessed to have good teammates in Cleveland. When you're around good people, it rubs off on you."

There's no doubt that Thome has rubbed off on the Phillies.

"He's so positive," Wolf said. "He'll call you during the off-season just to see how you're doing. And for all he's accomplished, he's actually underrated as a player."

The pitcher pointed to the All-Star fan voting in which Thome finished fourth among N.L. first basemen despite having hit 27 homers in his team's first 82 games up to that point in the season.

"That's because he doesn't draw a lot of attention to himself," Wolf said. "He doesn't put on a TV face. He just plays the game the right way."

--by Joe Gergen

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
Ummmm something i dont think anyone has pointed out yet.  But I DO believe that Thome is the most dangerous opposing team hitter who has ever played at the Cell.  At least one of the most dangerous, I think he has hit the most Hr's there by an opposing hitter, i could be wrong, and im not going to look it up but I think its around 18

I think youre right and you know KW likes to get former Sox killers ie: A.J. and Jermaine. I would not be shocked at all if he was wearing a Sox uni next year.