Mets Get Wagner

G&T

THat is a lot of money but if I was goign to give that money to a closer in baseball, Wagner would be among my first three choices. Also, given BJ Ryan's deal, this isn't as bad as it would have seemed a week ago. I respect the Mets for going for it all, even if it blows up in their faces( I will likely pick them to win the East though if they add a good catcher and a set-up man)

You know, despite these signings and the Delgado move and such, I still don't look at Omar and call him one of the better general managers in baseball. With tons of money to work with in a situation where your team hasn't really developed any expectations, these moves don't scream "great baseball moves" at me.

I dunno.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 01:22 PM)
THat is a lot of money but if I was goign to give that money to a closer in baseball, Wagner would be among my first three choices. Also, given BJ Ryan's deal, this isn't as bad as it would have seemed a week ago. I respect the Mets for going for it all, even if it blows up in their faces( I will likely pick them to win the East though if they add a good catcher and a set-up man)

I don't know if that would have seemed like that bad of a deal a week ago either...the numbers "4 and $40 mil" kept floating around Wagner, and this is still pretty close to that.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
You know, despite these signings and the Delgado move and such, I still don't look at Omar and call him one of the better general managers in baseball.  With tons of money to work with in a situation where your team hasn't really developed any expectations, these moves don't scream "great baseball moves" at me.

I dunno.

the mets have always been about throwing money around and never really getting alot done.

see: mo vaughn.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 04:31 PM)
Bobby Jenks' value is through the roof.  He probably can't wait until he becomes a free agent.  Of course, he will have to earn a bunch of saves until then.

By the time he is a free agent the contract are going to be 15 years 215 million.

I still cannot see paying a guy who pitches 80 innings over $10 Million a year.

So what is the better deal.  I say neither, but if I had to pick one I guess you go with the guy who is proven.

Wagner for 4yr / $43  or  Ryan for 5yr / $47?

I would say Ryan. At least he's still young. Wagner is 34 years old and he will be 38 by the time his contract is up.