Garland For......

DBAHO

It looks like Jon's pretty much a very good chance to be moved before opening day 2006. But what do you want in return for him, if that's the way Kenny Williams decides to go, which all indications point to.

Here are some little pieces to get the ball rolling;

At some point before the start of the 2006 season, Garland is a near lock to be traded.

Sox general manager Kenny Williams would neither confirm nor deny such a move Wednesday. But he did indicate that Jose Contreras appears willing to accept a reasonable multiyear contract.

“Jose seems to understand the great opportunity he’s been given here,’’ Williams said. “And the bottom line is, I want to make sure I have the pitching to support all of the offense we’ve added. That remains the top priority.’’

According to a source, the Sox want at least two quality pitching prospects for Garland.

“It’s kind of a floating number, but we want to check in around $90 million,’’ Williams said of the final payroll.

The White Sox are expected to replace Luis Vizcaino, part of the package sent to Arizona for Vazquez, internally. Minor-leaguers Jeff Bajenaru and Sean Tracey are two of the top candidates for the bullpen opening.

So as for two quality pitching prospects, Baltimore has Chris Ray and Hayden Penn, but I'd definitely want more. Los Angeles would definitely be an interesting option, they've got plenty of good young arms in their farm system.

The Tejada and Abreu deals have been mentioned quite a few times on here over the past few days already. And Carl Crawford too. But would Jon Garland alone be enough to get those players? Maybe, but probably not (for the first two for sure).

What could a team like Cincinatti or Seattle that is desperate for good quality starting pitching be able to offer us?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this part of the column was most interesting:

The White Sox patiently stuck by Jon Garland’s side when the talented starting pitcher combined to go 36-36 from 2002-04.

They looked the other way when Garland publicly criticized negative fan reaction and blamed teammates following poor performances.

Now, the Sox think Garland is trying to stick it to them. More specifically, they think the 26-year-old right-hander is trying to stick them up at the pay window following his breakout 18-win season.

That is the overriding reason the White Sox acquired starting pitcher Javier Vazquez in a trade from the Arizona Diamondbacks.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 11:19 PM)

Yeah, it looks like the media is going to try and make it look like the Sox are airing it out with their dirty laundry again with Garland after what happened with Maggs and Lee.

And you'd think Jon could show a little loyalty from how the Sox actually stuck by him, but with the current market for FA SP's, it looks like he's going to test it. And that looks like it's going to cost his job with us.

In addition to trading Garland, Williams is shopping for a left-handed relief pitcher to replace Damaso Marte, who was traded to the Pirates for utility man Rob Mackowiak.

Williams did shoot down a rumor that the Sox are offering shortstop Juan Uribe and starting pitcher Brandon McCarthy to the Baltimore Orioles in a trade for shortstop Miguel Tejada.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 06:33 AM)
Yeah, it looks like the media is going to try and make it look like the Sox are airing it out with their dirty laundry again with Garland after what happened with Maggs and Lee.

And you'd think Jon could show a little loyalty from how the Sox actually stuck by him, but with the current market for FA SP's, it looks like he's going to test it. And that looks like it's going to cost his job with us.

This may be out of place, but since we are quoting local columnists today, this from jay mariotti....

Aaron Rowand is being ripped on Philadelphia talk radio for wearing Bears jerseys.

Damn Philly fans! They got a great guy who'll bust his ass for them, and they are already trying to tear him apart. BTW, good column from mariotti today.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 06:33 AM)

This is standard operating procedure.

Distancing themselves from soon to be ex sox player. Then the break.

Thanks Jon for the magical 2005. If you can get us impact pitching prospects, great.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 06:39 AM)
This is standard operating procedure.

Distancing themselves from soon to be ex sox player.  Then the break.

Thanks Jon for the magical 2005.  If you can get us impact pitching prospects,  great.

Whoa! This is the media. Not the Sox. There are no quotes from any Sox brass saying that.

Here's a crazy thought, Detroit offered Curtis Granderson and Joel Zumaya for Vazquez originally. We'd never trade with them because they're in our division, but if they offered that for Jon Garland would you take it, or would you ask for Justin Verlander to be included instead?

Either way, if the Sox are looking for quality SP prospects for Garland, looks like they're setting themselves up for Garcia or Buerhle leaving after 2007. B-Mac would still be under our control if we keep him, and Contreras will probably get about a 2 to 3 year deal (for after 2006) if we can re-sign him.

This may be out of place, but since we are quoting local columnists today, this from jay mariotti....

Damn Philly fans!  They got a great guy who'll bust his ass for them, and they are already trying to tear him apart.  BTW, good column from mariotti today.

Philly fans should be too embarrassed to wear their jerseys right now. Their team is the joke of the 2005 NFL season.

The Future: A full season at Double-A is the next step for Tracey. He has the arm strength to become an impact starter or power closer.

He is a quote from last year's prospect report from Baseball America for Tracey. So, he looks like he can be a power relivers with his power fastball, sinker and slider combo. HIs stuff have drawn Kevin Brown comparison. (just the stuff)

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 06:19 AM)

That quote is a broad over-simplification.

The Sox have done everything right RE: Garland and contracts throughout his career. He was considered and underachiever, the type of pitcher you would be more likely to non-tender rather than sign to a long term deal. They kept avoiding arbitration through one year deals, with the intention to sign him long-term should he ever break through. -- BUT, his breakthrough came at such a time -- when young free-agent pitchers are making gobs and gobs of money, and entering his final year of arbitration -- that the Sox have no leverage.

Garland is right to decline any offer of less than the 5 years/55M that Burnett got. If the Sox think that Garland is simply "taking it out on them," they're flat wrong. He has the upper-hand, and he will make a fair decision. Just like when the Sox had the upper hand in his first 5 years, they made the fair decision.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 11:45 PM)
The Rangers could offer Thomas Diamond and John Danks for Garland.

That would be interesting, but Jon Daniels is already getting a reputation for asking for too much in trades.

Plus Diamond and Danks didn't exactly do well when they jumped up a level in the minors in 2005.

That would be interesting, but Jon Daniels is already getting a reputation for asking for too much in trades.

Plus Diamond and Danks didn't exactly do well when they jumped up a level in the minors in 2005.

I just noticed that after looking at their respective numbers. It must feel pretty brutal to have both of your top pitching prospects stuggle mightily when they get bumped up from A to AA.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 06:51 AM)
I just noticed that after looking at their respective numbers.  It must feel pretty brutal to have both of your top pitching prospects stuggle mightily when they get bumped up from A to AA.

Check the league though too... I beleive that is the Texas League. Since there's no Sox affiliates there, I don't really pay too much attention, but I believe it's a heavily hitter friendly league..

I believe PCL and TEX league are well known for inflating offensive stats, and the FSL is well know for deflating ERAs.

Check the league though too... I beleive that is the Texas League. Since there's no Sox affiliates there, I don't really pay too much attention, but I believe it's a heavily hitter friendly league..

I believe PCL and TEX league are well known for inflating offensive stats, and the FSL is well know for deflating ERAs.

Yep, both were in the TEX league last season and both of their ERA's shot up to well over 5. :o

And I had to make a new avatar just because of this thread. :P

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 12:47 PM)

The Sox have done everything right RE: Garland and contracts throughout his career. He was considered and underachiever, the type of pitcher you would be more likely to non-tender rather than sign to a long term deal. They kept avoiding arbitration through one year deals, with the intention to sign him long-term should he ever break through. -- BUT, his breakthrough came at such a time -- when young free-agent pitchers are making gobs and gobs of money, and entering his final year of arbitration -- that the Sox have no leverage.

Garland is right to decline any offer of less than the 5 years/55M that Burnett got. If the Sox think that Garland is simply "taking it out on them," they're flat wrong. He has the upper-hand, and he will make a fair decision. Just like when the Sox had the upper hand in his first 5 years, they made the fair decision.

I agree. It's just a question of good timing for Jon

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 06:47 AM)

I agree. In no way do I fault either party for doing what they're doing. I can still remain a Sox fan and a Jon Garland fan. If he's gone, when he's gone, I'll still root for him until he goes up against the Black, White, and Silver.