The "I was wrong about Grossman" thread

I can admit it. I had this funny notion about continuity and what it means to an NFL offense. I thought to myself "Kyyle23, Grossman really has only had 6 games of experience. What is it about him that makes everyone say 'pull the plug on Orton while this season is still going good!'?"(yes, I really refer to myself as Kyyle23 in the real world. It makes me feel like a double agent ;) ) I didnt know. I fought it. I defended Orton a few times on game threads, but I thought moreso because the team was winning, and to that point he hadnt been hurting the team with his play. Then he steadily started regressing, and you could tell the defensive side of the team, while fantastically adept and strong, could not shoulder the load of the offense too. In Ortons defense, the past 5 games he has faced some very good defenses, in fact most of them top 10 units. But this was a season that couldnt be spoiled by a rookie hitting his wall(and bouncing off of it, hard), when the first choice as a starter was (supposedly)healthy on the bench. Orton was given the shot at keeping his job. I thought this was the correct move, and I think it will go a long way in keeping Orton progressing.

Last night my wife asked me if Grossman was coming in at the beginning of the game. I thought that was very odd, she doesnt really like sports at all and she brought it up out of the blue. I said "if Orton does bad, then I think Grossman will come in." After the first series. it was just obvious to me that Grossman was coming in. And I embraced it. This is right. You dont lose your job to injury(unless you are Drew Bledsoe). And I f***ing love Lovie Smith. The guy is not afraid to make a change if something isnt working. And what happens when Grossman comes in? A f***ing 22 yard laserbeam to Muhammed. Hey White Sox Josh, I know you saw that. Now that was a Dan Marino type throw. Grossman eclipsed Ortons entire yard total of the first half, in one throw.

So now I will say it. I apologize for defending Ortons right to stay at first string quarterback, I was misguided and didnt know what I was talking about. Grossman is obviously the better product.

Yea! Awesome post Kyyle.

I definitely understood your point of view. Winning is the most important thing and the Bears did win with Orton behind center. But after the last 4-5 weeks of diminishing offensive statistics it became more and more obvious that a change could do nothing but improve this team. My big reason for wanting to see Grossman is the simple fact that we were getting NOTHING out of our passing game. I honestly don't know how good Grossman is, but he can't be any worse than a QB with a 60 rating. Good to see the change was made, and I now feel we have a legitimate chance of doing some serious damage in the playoffs.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
I can admit it.  I had this funny notion about continuity and what it means to an NFL offense.  I thought to myself "Kyyle23, Grossman really has only had 6 games of experience.  What is it about him that makes everyone say 'pull the plug on Orton while this season is still going good!'?"(yes, I really refer to myself as Kyyle23 in the real world.  It makes me feel like a double agent ;) ) I didnt know.  I fought it.  I defended Orton a few times on game threads, but I thought moreso because the team was winning, and to that point he hadnt been hurting the team with his play.  Then he steadily started regressing, and you could tell the defensive side of the team, while fantastically adept and strong, could not shoulder the load of the offense too.  In Ortons defense, the past 5 games he has faced some very good defenses, in fact most of them top  10 units.  But this was a season that couldnt be spoiled by a rookie hitting his wall(and bouncing off of it, hard), when the first choice as a starter was (supposedly)healthy on the bench.  Orton was given the shot at keeping his job.  I thought this was the correct move, and I think it will go a long way in keeping Orton progressing.

Last night my wife asked me if Grossman was coming in at the beginning of the game.  I thought that was very odd, she doesnt really like sports at all and she brought it up out of the blue.  I said "if Orton does bad, then I think Grossman will come in."  After the first series. it was just obvious to me that Grossman was coming in.  And I embraced it.  This is right.  You dont lose your job to injury(unless you are Drew Bledsoe).  And I f***ing love Lovie Smith.  The guy is not afraid to make a change if something isnt working.  And what happens when Grossman comes in?  A f***ing 22 yard laserbeam to Muhammed.  Hey White Sox Josh, I know you saw that.  Now that was a Dan Marino type throw.  Grossman eclipsed Ortons entire yard total of the first half, in one throw. 

So now I will say it.  I apologize for defending Ortons right to stay at first string quarterback, I was misguided and didnt know what I was talking about.  Grossman is obviously the better product.

How about the intercception?

Kyle didn't turn the ball over...

QUOTE(NYSox35 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)

I want to say there were two times that the ball was in the defenders hands and they dropped it. Orton was having serious problems with indecision and pressure yesterday, it was obvious. Grossman may have thrown an INT, but he still moved the chains very quickly in that drive. It was a positive drive despite the INT.

QUOTE(NYSox35 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)

I seriously hope this is a joke.......some of Orton's passes the last few weeks have been so inaccurate both the Bear WR and the defensive player had no chance to catch the ball.

Kyle Orton has one of the most loyal fanclubs that I have ever seen...It is amazing how many people are in his corner when his production has been close to zero.

But Atlanta defensive end Patrick Kerney said it should be an easy decision: "There is no doubt that he is a stronger quarterback and more of a threat to throw. It makes them a little more multidimensional than they were with Orton in there."

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 03:56 PM)
Let us know when you getting around to pointing out the difference between Rex and Kyle.

- Every single player on the Bears believes in Rex.....you can bet your ass that's not true about Orton.

- Rex can create something, even if the pocket collapses around him. Unlike Orton, who just takes the sack or throws it 20 yards out of bounds, Rex showed a hell of a lot more poise in moving around a little and not giving up on the play.

- I seriously can't believe that some people think there's not a big difference. Watching the difference between the 1st half and 2nd half was likely watching a college QB and then a pro QB.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 05:34 PM)
The thing the Orton defenders seem to not get.....is most of us Sexy Rexy fans still think Orton is going to end up being a good NFL QB.  Hell, he may end up being better than Rex.....but right now, Rex is CLEARLY better and it's an easy choice.

Put me in the category of those who don't think Orton will ever be a good NFL QB.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 03:56 PM)
Let us know when you getting around to pointing out the difference between Rex and Kyle.

:lolhitting

I don't think that people even bothered checking the quote that Middle Buffalo responded to.

Here is the difference between Rex and Kyle IMHO.

Rex can win the game at QB. Kyle could win the game.

Come on, fellas.

I was wrong about Grossman :(

I thought he would be an upgrade over Orton, but I didn't think it should be a move that was done in the middle of a game, or a winning streak.

But now that he's the starter, I must say, its nice to have an offense that moves the ball.

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 07:54 PM)
I thought Grossman would be an upgrade over Orton, but I didn't think it should be a move that was done in the middle of a game, or a winning streak.

So, do you subscribe to the Troy Aikman football philosophy?

Troy Aikman:

Under no circumstances can you remove your starting QB when you are winning the vast majority of your games.

By the way, I don't think the Bears are going to win a game in the playoffs because Orton isn't a good QB.

This logic, clearly on display in every Bears thread for about two months now, borders on insanely retarded.

But we all smoke crack from time to time. Some of us smoke a hell of a lot more than others, though.

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 06:54 AM)
but I didn't think it should be a move that was done in the middle of a game

I disagree with that completely. Orton had thrown for 12 yards in the 1st half. Grossman comes in, and with his 1st throw connects and beats Orton's total yards for the 1st half.

It's much better to make this move now, instead of a playoff game when you're behind and it's far too late. Now the Bears offense can start to get comfortable with Rex behind center.

Oh and we're STILL waiting for the person to who this thread was started for to address the issue. :P