Opening Night Rip-Off

boltsrus

Subjecting paying fans to lousy weather in order to make more TV money is nothing new... but MLB shafted the fans watching on TV Opening Night. Baseball can't get the little things right... There is a good plan to restore tradition, make gobs of money, and not play until 1am in a storm.

http://kutv.com/davidjames/local_story_094013523.html

Forward this plan to your friends, your neighbors and any baseball executives you know. If we don't help them they will continue to do stupid things like.... play the first game of the season after midnight in front of nobody.

If I were Commissioner, I'd try to take 40 games off of the regular season. But that's not going to happen.

Blaming MLB for a 3-hour rain delay is beyond stupid. The fact that this moron didn't even know that the Sox sold out the game tells you everything.

Edited by WCSox

That article is just stupid. You like eternal warm weather? Watch golf (although I guess it rains for golf too..). You don't want to watch a game in Chicago because it has Chicago weather? Don't then.

And yea, the game did sell out.. where the hell does one get the thought otherwise?

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 02:08 PM)
That article is just stupid.  You like eternal warm weather?  Watch golf (although I guess it rains for golf too..).  You don't want to watch a game in Chicago because it has Chicago weather?  Don't then.

And yea, the game did sell out.. where the hell does one get the thought otherwise?

THE BOX SCORE AT ESPN.COM SEEMS TO INDICATE A FEW EMPTY SEATS.

Stadium: U.S. Cellular Field, Chicago, IL

Attendance: 38,802 (95.5% full)

Game Time: 2:59

Temperature: 57 degrees, cloudy

Wind: 15 mph

QUOTE(boltsrus @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)

That's full capacity now. ESPN hasn't updated the max for the Cell. They took out a few thousand seats in the UD, when they renovated.

QUOTE(boltsrus @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 09:01 PM)

That attendance figure does NOT include the comp tickets the Sox gave out for Opening Night so ESPN is wrong, again :chair

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 04:11 PM)
That's full capacity now.  ESPN hasn't updated the max for the Cell.  They took out a few thousand seats in the UD, when they renovated.

Actually, capacity is a little over 40,000, but every seat was taken. They don't count comps.

QUOTE(boltsrus @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)

That's what you get for reading the box score. The game was a sellout from even just season ticket sales. There were so few ticket available that the general public never had a chance to purchase them.

cavemen.jpg

Next time try doing a little research.

QUOTE(boltsrus @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 07:40 PM)
Subjecting paying fans to lousy weather in order to make more TV money is nothing new... but MLB shafted the fans watching on TV Opening Night.  Baseball can't get the little things right...  There is a good plan to restore tradition, make gobs of money, and not play until 1am in a storm.

http://kutv.com/davidjames/local_story_094013523.html

Forward this plan to your friends, your neighbors and any baseball executives you know.  If we don't help them they will continue to do stupid things like.... play the first game of the season after midnight in front of nobody.

Well I am an hour behind central time, but I was glad they still played it...I got myself pumped all weekend and I would have been pissed to have to goto sleep with the game not finished.

QUOTE(boltsrus @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)

Did you.. *gasp*.. watch the actual game, and see the entire crowd? Or did you just read the box score?