AAP: Brandon Allen

Brandon Allen is a 6'2 235 pound left handed power project drafted in the 5th round in 2004 for the White Sox. Brandon was sited by Baseball America in 2004 as being the Sox biggest raw power prospect in their draft that year.

Allen's debut in pro ball was a little rough, as an 18 year old straight out of high school he was sent to the half season advanced rookie ball team at Bristol were he only hit .205 with 3 homers and 23 driven in. In 58 games he drew 16 walks and struck out 60 times, while playing mostly 1B and a little OF.

2005 was much better for Allen as he appeared in 66 games for the Great Falls White Sox, where he led the half season Pioneer League with 11 homers and finished second with 42 RBI. He finished by hitting .264 for the season, including a .366 OBP courtesty of his 32 walks, along with a .472 SLG, and a .838 OPS overall.

Outlook-Brandon Allen qualifies as the highest ceiling power prospect that the White Sox have in the minor leagues today. Allen is at best a few years away from the majors, especially with Jim Thome signed for 3 more years, and Paul Konerko for 5 at DH and 1B respectively. Allen did play OF some in the minors and in HS which might hasten his approach to the majors, but he definately is behind some key guys even in the outfield, such as Ryan Sweeney and Jerry Owens. Allen is raw, but with the big jump he made from his first season of pro ball to his second, he may well be worth waiting for, looking at an ETA of late 2008 to 2009.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Allen is repeated Kannapolis of the SAL. He really needs to cut down on his strikeouts if he is going to start to climb the ladder in the Sox system. The one thing he has going for him is that he is still only 21 years old, and has time to learn and still make it.

• 2 weeks later...

Brandon is indeed repeating Kannapolis, at least to start this season. He is off to a nice start so far hitting .283 in twelve games, with 10 RBIs and no homers to go along with a nice .346 OBP. The SLG and OPS are still working their way up, but they are going to rebound as the power numbers come around.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=450315

• 5 months later...

Brandon had a much better year this time in Kannapolis after repeating this team.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats...r.php?id=450315

He his .283 with 18 Hrs and 93 RBIs, plus 39 doubles. He had an .819 OPS, .483 SLG, and a .337 OBP'

He scored 84 runs, but still had a problem with the strikeouts totalling 124 Ks in 516 ABs. Allen still is only 21 years old.

• 6 months later...

Allen is off to a slow start in Winston Salem after his promotion from Kanny last year.

He is hitting only .237 with 3 HRs and 10 RBIs. He is slugging .461 with an OPS .753. The strikeouts are still a problem with 24 Ks in 76 ABs and only 4 walks.

• 2 weeks later...

Brandon hit for the cycle last night, and has been mosterously hot.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/r...ses/?id=3640666

WINSTON-SALEM, NC - Warthogs first baseman Brandon Allen went 5-for-5 including the rare feat of hitting for the cycle, but it was not enough as the Lynchburg Hillcats outslugged Winston-Salem 12-11 on Wednesday afternoon with the wind blowing out at Ernie Shore Field. Allen raced for a triple to lead off the ninth inning to complete his monstrous day that included a solo home run in the second inning, a single in the fourth and doubles in the fifth and seventh inning. He scored four runs, tallied two RBI and extended his hitting streak to 14 games.

The Hillcats roared to an early lead with five runs in the first inning off Warthogs starting pitcher Matt Long. The outburst was highlighted by a bases-clearing double by Tony Mansolino. Allen's solo home run in the second inning and three more runs in the third inning off Lynchburg starter Daniel Moskos brought Winston-Salem within a run at 5-4.

The Warthogs completed the comeback with a pair of runs in the fifth inning on back-to-back RBI doubles by Javier Colina and Allen to take a 6-5 lead. The advantage was short-lived as Lynchburg responded emphatically with four runs in the sixth inning and three more runs in the seventh to take a 12-6 lead.

Another RBI double by Cruz in the bottom of the seventh inning and a two-run home run by John Shelby II, who extended his hitting streak to 12 games, pulled Winston-Salem with three runs entering the ninth frame. Allen completed the cycle with a leadoff triple against Hillcats closer Adam Simon. An RBI ground out by C.J. Retherford brought Allen across the plate and a solo homer by Anderson Gomes with two outs cut the Warthogs deficit to one at 12-11, but Simon got Francisco Hernandez to fly out to end the game.

The teams combined for 25 hits with 19 extra-base hits. Lynchburg tallied eight doubles and a home run, while the Warthogs smacked six doubles, a triple and three home runs. Moskos allowed six runs in 4 1/3 innings, but didn't factor in the decision as Kyle Pearson tossed 2/3 of inning of relief to collect the win. Long took the loss for the Warthogs after surrendering eight runs in five innings.

These two teams will conclude their four-game series on Thursday night at Ernie Shore Field. Winston-Salem will send RHP John Ely (1-4, 3.51) to the mound, while Lynchburg will counter with LHP Brian Holliday (1-1, 3.21). The first pitch is scheduled for 7 p.m.

• 1 month later...

I've never seen him, and just based on stats and his age, it doesn't look like he has even all that great of a shot at making it to the pros, but due to the fact Allen is a big strong lefty, I think he might eventually make it one day as a bench player. He's K's far too much and doesn't walk nearly as much as he needs to, but he has great raw power (or so I've read) and shows good athleticism with 9 stolen bases already on the season.

Just look at him:

brandonallennm2.jpg

He looks like a linebacker.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 06:30 PM)
Yeah, he's a beast. Good to see him mashing the ball. It took him a while to adjust to pro ball, but he's doing ok.

He looks just like Willie Harris in the face. Thank god he hits the ball a little harder!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 07:56 AM)
He looks just like Willie Harris in the face. Thank god he hits the ball a little harder!

To me, he's a cross between Ryan Howard and Quentin "Rampage" Jackson.

I like him. I'm very encouraged by his increase in walks this year. IMO it suggests he is improving his plate discipline and batting eye. And with his power, that is a very good thing. The result isn't just a nice bump in OBP (up to .354), it's showing up in a nice increase in doubles (on pace for 40+) and homeruns (on pace for around 25) as well. The combination of increases in both power and OBP is a very good sign. So far, it has translated into a 75pt increase in OPS this year (.894) over last year (.819).

He's a young 22 (turned in February). I don't see any reason to write him off as "only a bench player". Way too early to make a determination like that when he's performing well, at an appropriate age, in high A-ball. (He was selected for the Carolina League all-star team.) Next year, at Birmingham, should tell us alot more about his chances.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 09:40 AM)
I like him. I'm very encouraged by his increase in walks this year. IMO it suggests he is improving his plate discipline and batting eye. And with his power, that is a very good thing. The result isn't just a nice bump in OBP (up to .354), it's showing up in a nice increase in doubles (on pace for 40+) and homeruns (on pace for around 25) as well. The combination of increases in both power and OBP is a very good sign. So far, it has translated into a 75pt increase in OPS this year (.894) over last year (.819).

He's a young 22 (turned in February). I don't see any reason to write him off as "only a bench player". Way too early to make a determination like that when he's performing well, at an appropriate age, in high A-ball. (He was selected for the Carolina League all-star team.) Next year, at Birmingham, should tell us alot more about his chances.

I think the fact that he was picked for the Futures Game this year also suggests other people think he has better than reserve potential.

Was he? I thought it was just Richard and Getz.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 12:12 PM)
Was he? I thought it was just Richard and Getz.

Thanks maggs. You're right. Crossed up my all-star and futures game notes. Fixed.

Edited by scenario

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2008/9/17/6...rospect-brandon

Brandon Allen was drafted by the White Sox in the fifth round of the 2004 draft, out of high school in Montgomery, Texas. He was a power-hitting slugger with questions about polish and defense. HIs pro debut was unimpressive: .205/.280/.314 for Bristol in the Appy League, with 16 walks and 60 strikeouts in 185 at-bats. He'd get a Grade C based on power potential and draft status, but with the need for a great deal of refinement.

Moved up to Great Falls in the Pioneer League in 2005, Allen hit .263/.366/.472, much better production. HIs BB/K was 32/69 in 231 at-bats, as he improved his plate discipline, cutting down on strikeouts and boosting walks. I gave him a Grade C in the 2006 book, noting comparisons being made to Fred McGriff and Ryan Howard, but also noting it would take time for him to develop.

Allen stumbled in 2006, hitting .213/.257/.382 for Kannapolis in the Sally League, with 22 walks and 126 strikeouts in 395 at-bats. He did hit 15 homers, but the strike zone got away from him most of the time and he struggled. I did not put him in the 2007 book as a result, though perhaps I should have as a Grade C who was still young enough to improve despite his issues with the zone.

2008 was a rebound season: .283/.337/.483 for Kannapolis, with 18 homers, 39 walks, and 124 strikeouts in 516 at-bats. His discipline still needed work, but the strikeout rate was down. I did not put him in the 2008 book but should have done so, as a Grade C/C+ but still young enough at age 21, the equivalent of a college junior, to develop in an interesting way.

He has been very interesting this year, hitting .279/.372/.527 in 89 games for Winston-Salem in the Carolina League, then .275/.358/.614 in 41 games for Birmingham in the Southern League, combining for 32 doubles, 29 homers, 60 walks, and 124 strikeouts in 472 at-bats. He even stole 17 bases in 21 attempts.

Is this a real breakthrough? Allen's ratios didn't slip much at all after being promoted. His strikeout rate went up a little, but the walks remained the same, and he continued to provide plenty of power. He's got issues against left-handed pitching, hitting just .211 against them in Double-A, though he still slugged .544 against them. He murdered right-handers to a .313/.389/.656 mark. His home/road splits were unremarkable. He's just 22, so I think the improvement this year was for real.

His defense needs work (15 errors this year), and I don't think he's ever going to hit for much of an average, which will make it important for him to draw walks to keep his OBP at decent levels. If I were the White Sox, I'd be willling to push him to Triple-A to begin 2009, to see how much of this can be sustained against better pitching. I would rate him a Grade B- prospect right now. Is that too high? Too low? Or just right?

• 6 months later...

Allen got a lot of time in camp with the big league White Sox during Spring Training this year. He did get 13 ABs for the Sox this spring, getting 4 hits and scoring 4 runs. He did pound a triple and a homer in his plate appearences and drove in 6 runs in those 13 times up.

Brandon will begin this season in the middle of the very nasty Birmingham Barons line up for his first full season there.

• 1 month later...

Brandon Allen is f***ing awesome.

Through 152 AB, he only has 27 (!) K's. That is an average of 5.63 AB/K which is just remarkable improvement. Last year he was averaging 3.81 AB/K.

Compare that to Chris Carter. Carter is one year younger and in AA is averaging 3.6 AB/K. Not only was the Carter for Quentin deal a steal, but the Sox made a terrific decision between the two powerful young 1B.

At this point, I wouldn't deal Brandon Allen anything less than a young future HOF type of hitter. I loved watching this kid in ST and it appears he's going to be the real deal. Best power prospect since the Maggs/CLee days? I think so...

The way this kid has improved his contact rate is f***ing amazing, and from watching him in ST, he also appears to have a little bit of old school Big Frank in him where he'll have no problem drawing a walk or dunking a little soft single into short CF. Definitely a far cry from the Nick Swishers of the world.

PS, here's his K/AB rate throughout his minor league career, along with BA, OBP, and SLG%:

2004: 3.08 AB/K; .205/.280/.314

2005: 3.34 AB/K; .264/.366/.472

2006: 3.13 AB/K; .213/.257/.382

2007: 4.16 AB/K; .283/.337/.483

2008: 3.81 AB/K; .279/.372/.527 @ A+; .275/.358/.614 @ AA

2009: 5.63 AB/K; .303/.371/.520

At the pace Brandon is currently on, if Brandon gets 550 AB this year he'll K only 98 times, walk 58 times, hit 22 HR and drive in 98 runs. And even though he hasn't been running, he's still capable of stealing 10+ bases. If he keeps up at this current pace, there's no reason for him to go to AAA.

Allen is currently putting up his most consistant performance at any stop in the minors hitting in the middle of the Birmingham murders row.

Allen is checking in at .292 with 6 homers and 27 RBI through 42 games played this year. He only has 28 strike outs this year in 161 ABs which is only one every 5.75 ABs, by far a career low rate in his time in the minors. His 18 walks average out to one every 8.94 ABs. Those two things average out to a K/BB ratio of 1.56, which is also by far the best he has seen so far. The power numbers are a bit lower, but he is also in the worst park to hit homers in the entire Sox system.

This OBP is up to .365, with a slug of .497 for an OPS of .862. Most publications, including FutureSox are rating Allen as a borderline top 5 prospect in the White Sox system currently. The upside of Allen is that as we speak he is only 23 years old and close to completing one whole year in AA. He has plenty of time to finish developing what has been projected by most to be 30 homer power at the major league level.

From the most recent BA Prospect Chat:

Max (Florida): What has happened to Brandon Allen's power? Do you think he will turn out to be the Brandon Allen of last year or this year when he makes it to the majors?

Ben Badler: He's another guy in a park that suppresses home runs. He's hitting nearly .300 with a SLG near .500, so I don't think there are any Big Papi power outages there. He's been one of the most improved players in the minor leagues over the last couple of years.