AAP: Lucas Harrell

• 3 weeks later...

I just commented that Lumsden is one of the best in our minors at getting the ball on the ground. Harrell is a notch better than him in this regard.... Here's his start tonight, where he was a bit wild to start each inning, but carried a no-hitter into the 6th where lost his control and was pulled.

Ground out

Walk

Fly out (Center)

Ground out

-----------

K

Pop out (Second)

Ground out

----------

Walk

Ground out FC

Ground out FC

Ground out FC

--------------

K

K

Ground out

-------------

Walk

GIDP

K

--------------

Walk

GIDP

HR (Trevor Crowe)

HBP

Walk

Double -- 1 run scores -- According to the log, the double was a ground ball too.

Pitching change

Trevor Crowe is the 22 year old first round pick (14th overall) of the Indians last year. Harrell is significantly less heralded, and about 19 months younger. His outing tonight raised his ERA to 2.06. He's only allowed 23 hits this season in 48 innings pitched. He's struggled with his control in each of his last two outings, raising his walk rate to around 4.5 BB/9, which is too high. But he's also got 40Ks in his 48IP.

At just 20 years old, with his GBing ways and the decent K-rate, he's flying up the White Sox prospect depth chart. He's definitely still raw, and I still don't realy have much of a scouting report on him, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Harrell atop the White Sox top 10 prospects at this time next year.

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

He wouldn't look out of place at B-Ham right now, and I guess if he keeps pitching the way he has so far, he may end up there at the end of the season, especially if someone like Lumsden moves up to Charlotte.

He has 23BB's in 48IP though, so that's something that he could improve on in the future. But being a groundball pitcher is only going to improve his chances of making the Sox's rotation in the future, although there's a lot of guys fighting it a spot for a couple of future spots right now.

My new favorite prospect does it again.... Carries a no-hitter into the 7th.

7IP 1H 0R 2BB 6K ERA down to 1.80

Tons of groundballs again. 11-2 GB/FB for the game. Two balls left the infield.

Backwards K

Ground out

Ground out

--------

Ground out

Ground out

Ground out

--------

Fly out

Walk

Walk -- CS

CS -- Dony Lucy gets credit for this inning

--------

Ground out

K

Pop out (1B)

--------

K

Backwards K

Ground out

--------

K

Ground out

Double

Ground out

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 02:15 PM)
can anyone tell me about what he throws and everything and just a scouting report in general.... also whats his GB/FB ratio for the season?

A few weeks ago Cheat did some research and the G/F ratio was around 2. We're not totally sure on his pitch repertoire, but with the extreme G/F ratio it probably includes a splitty. Think he has a curve and change as well. I can tell you his current batting average against is .163, which is nutty for a starting pitcher. He's given up more walks than you'd like but the control isn't bad. Birmingham awaits.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 03:13 PM)
The WS notes that their media director had sent out say FB, slider, change.

He has really good sinking action on that FB and his slider gets him a lot of GB's. Changeup has improved with time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I think he was down at extended spring and was able to throw a bit but the Sox were being cautious. Last I knew he was expected to be back in the minors next season. I'd imagine if all goes well he will start in A ball and work his way back up to the AA level when he got his groove back.

Hopefully he can get better because prior to having surgery that cost him the year he was moving up the on the Sox prospect board.

• 1 year later...

BA's Jim Callis commenting on Harrell... February 3rd, 2009

Lucas Harrell, rhp, White Sox

Born: June 3, 1985. B-T: B-R. Ht.: 6-2. Wt.: 200. Drafted: HS—Ozark, Mo., 2004 (4th round). Signed by: Alex Slattery.

Harrell ranked as the White Sox's No. 9 prospect after the 2006 season, but he had shoulder surgery that offseason and missed all of 2007. He started to return to form in the second half of 2008, holding his own in a playoff rotation at Double-A Birmingham and following with a promising stint in the Arizona Fall League. His AFL numbers weren't good but that was largely the result of two bad outings, not an overall struggle. At times he shows better velocity (93-95 mph) than before his injury (90-92 mph), giving him a power fastball to go with a good sinker, and his changeup remains a plus pitch. He still needs to improve his slider, but he did Boldmake strides with his control last season. The White Sox have been patient in keeping him on the 40-man roster but he needs a solid wire-to-wire performance in 2009 to make himself more than a possible trade chip.

• 8 months later...

Here's an excerpt from a BA article written by Phil Rogers on October 19th, 2009...

Following two down seasons dealing with an injured shoulder, the 24-year-old righthander re-established himself as a prospect by going a combined 12-4, 3.27 between Double-A Birmingham and Triple-A Charlotte. But he didn't stop there. Harrell followed up on his success by throwing 10 scoreless innings for Team USA in the World Cup, including four against Cuba. He allowed only two hits in his 10 innings.

"Real impressive," said Kirk Champion, the White Sox's minor league pitching coordinator who also served as Team USA's pitching coach. "He really embraced the whole experience, and it showed."

Harrell has three effective pitches, the best of which is his sinker. He gets a lot of ground balls—his groundout-to-air out ratio this year was 2.3-to-1—which is no small thing for a team based at U.S. Cellular Field, one of the better home run hitter's parks in the majors.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 02:31 AM)
Here's an excerpt from a BA article written by Phil Rogers on October 19th, 2009...

Following two down seasons dealing with an injured shoulder, the 24-year-old righthander re-established himself as a prospect by going a combined 12-4, 3.27 between Double-A Birmingham and Triple-A Charlotte. But he didn't stop there. Harrell followed up on his success by throwing 10 scoreless innings for Team USA in the World Cup, including four against Cuba. He allowed only two hits in his 10 innings.

"Real impressive," said Kirk Champion, the White Sox's minor league pitching coordinator who also served as Team USA's pitching coach. "He really embraced the whole experience, and it showed."

Harrell has three effective pitches, the best of which is his sinker. He gets a lot of ground balls—his groundout-to-air out ratio this year was 2.3-to-1—which is no small thing for a team based at U.S. Cellular Field, one of the better home run hitter's parks in the majors.

Great to read something that is very positive about him thanks .