Fence Approved

Steff

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/05/17/imm...n.ap/index.html

Senate endorses citizenship plan, calls for border fence

Senators also votes to exclude convicts from immigration plan

Wednesday, May 17, 2006; Posted: 3:47 p.m. EDT (19:47 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Senate endorsed a chance at citizenship for millions of illegal immigrants Wednesday but also voted to build 370 miles of triple-layered fencing along the Mexican border in increasingly emotional debate over election-year immigration legislation.

Taken together, the votes gave fresh momentum to legislation that closely follows President Bush's call for a major overhaul of the nation's troubled immigration system.

The vote was 66-33 against a proposal that would have removed provisions giving an eventual chance at citizenship to illegal immigrants who have been in the country more than two years.

A few minutes earlier, the Senate had voted 83-16 in favor of construction of the fence and 500 miles of vehicle barriers, the first significant victory in two days for conservatives seeking to place their stamp on the measure.

So I'm having difficulty understanding what the actual vote was here. Are these just amendments to the Senate bill which has been stalled because Mr. Frist won't bring up anything for a vote without unanimous conservative support? Are these just those "Sense of the Senate" resolution type thingies? Or are these actual bills which are being passed individually which will go back to the House?

If it's the latter, the House will just kill off the citizenship part, if it's the first then the citizenship part will probably get stripped out in conference, and if it's the 2nd, then these would be meaningless.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 17, 2006 -> 03:45 PM)
So I'm having difficulty understanding what the actual vote was here. Are these just amendments to the Senate bill which has been stalled because Mr. Frist won't bring up anything for a vote without unanimous conservative support? Are these just those "Sense of the Senate" resolution type thingies? Or are these actual bills which are being passed individually which will go back to the House?

If it's the latter, the House will just kill off the citizenship part, if it's the first then the citizenship part will probably get stripped out in conference, and if it's the 2nd, then these would be meaningless.

I think these are amendments which are going into the overall immigration bill working its way through the Senate.

I think once this goes to conference we'll get a guest worker program, more fencing and a little less amnesty.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 17, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
I think these are amendments which are going into the overall immigration bill working its way through the Senate.

I think once this goes to conference we'll get a guest worker program, more fencing and a little less amnesty.

Ok, then the big questions will be whether or not Frist ever allows the actual bill to come up to a vote and what happens in Conference, which has been where the Republicans have really done a lot of their nasty stuff the last few years. There and in the middle of the night, take your pick.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 17, 2006 -> 08:47 PM)
Ok, then the big questions will be whether or not Frist ever allows the actual bill to come up to a vote and what happens in Conference, which has been where the Republicans have really done a lot of their nasty stuff the last few years. There and in the middle of the night, take your pick.

The bill is gonna get a vote and its gonna pass. The real fun begins when conference kicks off.