Gay baseball players

Gregory Pratt

Are there any openly gay players in baseball?

I'm just curious because we all know what Carl's said about not wanting to be near gay players on his team, and so did Smoltz. A friend of mine was telling me that Barry Zito was gay and sleeps with a pink pillow or something. I wasn't sure if that was true, but I was curious what players are gay, and openly so.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know of any major league player that is openly gay, but I'd assume there are some that won't tell it and I'm not about to speculate on it.

Its there business and they are entitled to do what they want.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 08:23 PM)
I don't know of any major league player that is openly gay, but I'd assume there are some that won't tell it and I'm not about to speculate on it.

Its there business and they are entitled to do what they want.

Well, yeah, I agree.

I'm not saying that you accused me of it -- you didn't -- but I wasn't trying to get people to speculate. I was just curious if there were any. ::shrug::

QUOTE(Brian @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 08:26 PM)
I'm sure there are a lot of happy guys in baseball.

:D

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 09:04 PM)
There's gotta be. I mean, with that many people, at least a few must be.

And I've heard that about what Felix said. But, I think that was a popular rumor.

There isn't a single player in baseball whom is still playing that has come out of the closet. It would be an impossible situation. I'm sure there's more than a few who are gay but none of them show it openly.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 09:08 PM)
There isn't a single player in baseball whom is still playing that has come out of the closet. It would be an impossible situation. I'm sure there's more than a few who are gay but none of them show it openly.

I didn't mean there has to be some that are openly gay. I meant that there has to be some that are just gay.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 10:04 PM)
And I've heard that about what Felix said. But, I think that was a popular rumor.

Well, he did come out to the media and said "I'm not gay. I'm heterosexual" a few years ago, thats the only reason I mentioned it. I don't really have any idea whether or not he really is gay.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
I don't care if someone is gay as long as he can hit the ball, field the ball, or pitch the ball and do it well. I have a teacher who is openly gay, and no one cares

And if he can stroke a long one every once in a while, that's even better.

:lol:

I don't care if someone is gay as long as he can hit the ball, field the ball, or pitch the ball and do it well. I have a teacher who is openly gay, and no one cares

Good for him. :)

(And no, that's not sarcasm or meant to be derisive.)

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 10:59 PM)
Piazza is married....

Wasn't Elton John married too? I mean, doesn't prove anything, but I don't think the marriage claim really proves anything definitively.

That being said, just from a hunch, I don't think Piazza is gay.

I seriously couldn't care less. f*** all the gossip and who's dating who s***. The entertainment business and Hollywood can have that. It should just be their business and their business alone.

I won't ever concern myself with that with baseball.

Good for you, but there's a lot of people that do. Anyone who comes out is open to all sorts of s*** from fans and other players. In most cases, it just wouldn't be worth it.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 11:15 PM)
Good for you, but there's a lot of people that do. Anyone who comes out is open to all sorts of s*** from fans and other players. In most cases, it just wouldn't be worth it.

Yeah.

you've got some players, like Carl Everett and John Smoltz, who are on record as saying they'd hate to play on the same team as homosexuals. Indeed, I believe Smoltz said he wouldn't, and Carl promised to convert them to Jesus, so...

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 09:33 PM)
Yeah.

you've got some players, like Carl Everett and John Smoltz, who are on record as saying they'd hate to play on the same team as homosexuals. Indeed, I believe Smoltz said he wouldn't, and Carl promised to convert them to Jesus, so...

Thats there problem, but players like that (mixed with a vast number of people that feel the same way) are the reason you won't have an openly gay player for a while (unless he's really ballsy).

I'm with whoever said as long as they hit and play good baseball who gives a crap.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 10:49 PM)
Wasn't Elton John married too? I mean, doesn't prove anything, but I don't think the marriage claim really proves anything definitively.

He's married to a man though... :lol:

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 06:13 AM)
He's married to a man though... :lol:

He was married to a woman :P

Elton John disclosed his bisexuality in 1976 in a Rolling Stone magazine interview. He married German recording engineer Renate Blauel on Valentine's Day, 1984, but they divorced four years later. John later renounced the bisexual claim and announced he was gay.

Wiki