Cubs sign Samardzija

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 05:56 PM)
I'll call it now... Kid will blow out his knee and never be heard from again...

You really don't like any type of prospects do you. :P

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 10:26 PM)
The money is impressive, but misleading. He only gets it if he sticks out all 5 years. Most of the money is at the very end of the contract. If he leaves the Cubs for football, he ends up being paid like a typical 2nd or 3rd rounder from the sounds of it.

I think it was according to Rotoworld the other day, he could very well end up being a 1st round pick if he decided to concentrate on football, so the talent level is obviously there.

And you've seen with cases like Drew Henson and Chad Hutchison, more often that not, if they don't succeed right off the bat, they'll go back to football.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 07:46 AM)
And you've seen with cases like Drew Henson and Chad Hutchison, more often that not, if they don't succeed right off the bat, they'll go back to football.

Too bad Borch couldn't get that hint.. :lol:

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 10:48 PM)
Too bad Borch couldn't get that hint.. :lol:

Well he ended up getting up a very nice bullpen piece in Matt Thornton, and he's doing ok for himself in Florida.

It is hard though for someone like that to make a decision on a sport, and then if they don't do well, there's always the pressure to go back to the other one, especially when $$$$ comes into play.

And Hutchison is now out of the league, while Henson ain't getting our of Parcells' doghouse anytime soon.

I think whats being lost here, is the fact this guy just made a WHOPPING $7 Million Bucks!

and he was drafted in the 5th ROUND! I see why now that Selig is upset about this. This "signing"

is a much bigger deal than it initially seems. This has the chance to change the way the draft is run now ....

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 09:13 AM)
I think whats being lost here, is the fact this guy just made a WHOPPING $7 Million Bucks!

and he was drafted in the 5th ROUND! I see why now that Selig is upset about this. This "signing"

is a much bigger deal than it initially seems. This has the chance to change the way the draft is run now ....

The Sox signing of Borchard was just as skewed.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 09:54 AM)
The Sox signing of Borchard was just as skewed.

For the love of God Yas... you know this is no place for common sense!! Bias - one sided misguided idiotic bias - is all that's allowed here. ;)

I still don't understand why the Player's Association and the league didn't make the slotting of signing bonuses an issue in collective bargaining.They should also allow trading of draft picks. Make it like the NBA. If you get picked in this slot your bonus is between this and this. It would make more money available to players who have already established themselves. It would prevent guys like Boras from ruining the draft. The draft would be more heavily based on talent, not signability. The Borchard signing obviously was ridiculous. This kid has nothing to lose either, as if he decides to play football a year from now he'll walk away with close to $1 million. Not a bad summer job.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 09:59 AM)
For the love of God Yas... you know this is no place for common sense!! Bias - one sided misguided idiotic bias - is all that's allowed here. ;)

Common sense? Bias-one sided, Misguided idiotic?

My statement regarding the cub picks signing bonus was all of that? How so?

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 10:20 AM)
Common sense? Bias-one sided, Misguided idiotic?

My statement regarding the cub picks signing bonus was all of that? How so?

Hangar says: Guy getting 5 million for being a 1st round pick, and another guy getting 7.25 Million for being a 5th round pick, is biased? Misguided? Idiotic? Its a legitimate question.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 10:33 AM)
Hangar says: Guy getting 5 million for being a 1st round pick, and another guy getting 7.25 Million for being a 5th round pick, is biased? Misguided? Idiotic? Its a legitimate question.

First, he's not guaranteed 7 million. When you start utilizing the facts as they are reported within your debates, you will warrant a response.

Until then, it's legitimate bulls***.

This has the chance to change the way the draft is run now ....

Actually no he hasn't Hangar.

It might be a good idea for you to check the facts before blurting out statements like this.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 08:33 AM)

Ya, he gets 7.25 mill if he pretty much gives up football. However, if he did that he'd have been a top of the line 1st round pick or at least that would have been a possibility.

At times this guy flashed plus plus stuff, however, he's very inconsistent and thats likely because he isn't fully focused on baseball. However, from what I've heard he's still very interested in football and would like to test those waters so he could be one of those two sport stars (think Brian Jordan and others).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 12:59 AM)
Ya, he gets 7.25 mill if he pretty much gives up football.

Or he can Cool Breeze it for a couple years and get his full 7.25 Million, which is what I think has Selig rightfully up in arms. The Cubs seem to be reinventing the draft process. This ND guy isnt going to leave 7.25 Million sitting on the table. Some of your are correct, this only arms Boras to continue to inflate contracts disguised as "bonuses"

Edited by Hangar18

The Cubs seem to be reinventing the draft process. This ND guy isnt going to leave 7.25 Million sitting on the table. Some of your are correct, this only arms Boras to continue to inflate contracts disguised as "bonuses"

Why is that, does Boras have the market cornered on two sport athletes?

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 07:58 AM)
Or he can Cool Breeze it for a couple years and get his full 7.25 Million, which is what I think has Selig rightfully up in arms. The Cubs seem to be reinventing the draft process. This ND guy isnt going to leave 7.25 Million sitting on the table. Some of your are correct, this only arms Boras to continue to inflate contracts disguised as "bonuses"

Umm...5 years is not cool breezing it. Considering he gets pretty much nothing more than the typical 5th round pick unless he stays all 5 years.