AAP - Brian Omogrosso

Brian Omogrosso has made four appearances, all out of the pen, for Kannapolis since joining the club on June 24. In 2 1/3 IP, he has allowed 3 ER with 4 BBs. He had his first positive outing of his short season Sunday, pitching 1 shutout inning and getting 2 Ks during a 15-5 loss to Greensboro.

In his '06 season at ISU, Omogrosso had a 1.51 ERA in 22 appearances, all in relief. He had 4 saves (but ISU was crappy this year, the whole team only had 6 saves and the record was 19-34). In 41.2 IP, he allowed 35 hits (with 3 2Bs, 0 3Bs and 0 HRs allowed) and had 37 Ks. It seems that having tough stuff to hit is his strength (96 mph according to this article), but control is his problem. He had 16 BBs (not bad, but not good either) and 11 WP and 10 HBP (both terrible).

Brian is also a Freddy Garcia, Jose Contreras, Bobby Jenks sized pitcher, he's 6'3" 230 lbs and in a couple pics of him in action on the ISU website, I'd say the 230 was awhile ago.

Here's a story from the Terre Haute paper about Brian and another ISU Sycamore taken on the first day of the draft.

By Todd Golden

The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — The phone rang twice for Indiana State’s potential Major League Baseball draftees Tuesday — about 10 minutes apart.

Nevin Ashley and Brian Omogrosso didn’t have to wait long, or wait on each other for very long, before they knew their professional fates.

ISU’s standout catcher and relief pitcher for all intents and purposes bookended the sixth round of Tuesday’s Major League Baseball draft. Ashley was picked 169th overall by the Devil Rays, Omogrosso went 195th overall to the Chicago White Sox.

The Devil Rays had the third pick of the round, the White Sox had the second-to-last pick of the round.

The ISU pair were both picked higher than any Sycamore since Jason Frome was selected in the third round of the 2001 draft.

Also drafted Tuesday was ex-Terre Haute North standout Blake Holler, who now pitches for Stanford. He was chosen 402nd overall in the 13th round by the Los Angeles Angels.

Ashley — who hit .382 with 10 home runs and 42 RBI for the Sycamores — was in an ironic location when he was told of his selection. He was taking batting practice at Carson Park in Eau Claire, Wis., where his Northwoods League Eau Claire Express team plays. That was where Hank Aaron made his minor league debut.

“I was sitting in the dugout, waiting to take BP, when I got the call,” said Ashley, a Bruceville native who played at North Knox. “Wow. Top 10? I can’t believe it, I’m just beside myself.”

Ashley thought he’d go on the first day, but he admitted he didn’t expect the sixth round.

“I'm overwhelmed. To be honest, I was hoping to be picked anywhere from the seventh to the 12th round, that's where a lot of people thought it I'd go. This is a real bonus,” Ashley said.

Omogrosso — who had a 1.51 ERA, four saves and 37 strikeouts in 41 2/3 innings for the Sycamores — thought he might be selected a bit higher, given that he’s thrown 96-miles-per-hour from a sidearm motion, but he was still thrilled with the realization of a dream.

“From what I heard, I thought I was going earlier, but I'm not going to complain. Honestly, I'm honored to get a chance to show what I can do at a higher level,” said Omogrosso, who thought his signability might be an issue.

Retired ISU Coach Bob Warn thought Omogrosso might have been victimized by some struggles late in the year.

“Brian’s stock went down the last two or three times we put him in save situations,” Warn said. “We had a lot of front office brass here, and when their advance scouts pick and choose someone for them to see themselves, it’s like they’re expecting to be seeing a future 12-year veteran out there. That’s kind of unfair to the players, I think the fact that he struggled surprised them a bit. There were some folks that were talking second or third round for a while.

“I’m excited for them. I’m not surprised. I thought Nevin would go from the fifth to the 12th round,” Warn added. “It’s a good opportunity for both. Once they get the offer from the team, they need to find out whether they return to school. They can always return, they have the bargaining power.”

Both players were a little surprised at who selected them. Ashley said he’s only talked to Tampa Bay five or six times during his ISU career. Omogrosso thought he was destined for Cleveland or Cincinnati.

Both were happy to be joined by their teammate in the same round.

“Nevin deserves everything he got, he’s the hardest worker on the team. He’s going to work harder than anyone to do well, you can count on it,” Omogrosso said.

“Brian is a great prospect, a great player and a great teammate,” Ashley said.

Stats through 7/16 for Brian

0-1, 4.91 ERA, 8 games, 7.1 IP, 7 BBs, 4 Ks, only 4 hits allowed...seems to be an extension of his college tendency, definitely has tough stuff to hit, but can he hit the strike zone enough?

Outings for the week:

7/10 - (8-3 W vs. Greenville) - 1 IP (the 7th inning) and all 0's

7/14 - (6-3 W vs. Augusta) - 1 IP (8th), 1 R, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 K

• 3 weeks later...

Brian Omogrosso

Stats through 8/1 -

13 G, 1-1, 18 IP, 3.50 ERA (going down), 10 BB, 11 K, 2 HBP, 2 holds, 3 games finished

Brian got his first win on July 27 (4-0 Kann W vs. Hagerstown). He went 3 innings, 5 through 7, with 0 hits, 0 runs 0 BBs and 2 Ks.

Overall, Brian has been being used more often to pitch 2 or 3 innings per outing for Kannapolis. Since his rough start, his ERA has been steadily falling and his walks have been going down as well.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Brian Omogrosso is still in the Sox system - at Charlotte, for his 7th year in the organization. His injury in 2009/2010 throw off this development, and the now-28-year-old is just doing mop-up work at AAA. He's got a 5.74 ERA this year, his walk numbers are OK and he has struck out quite a few (6 BB, 19 K in 15.2 IP). Anyone in AAA can't be fully counted out, but his chances of being a major leaguer probably went out the window after his surgery.