Gload

knightni

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 12:36 AM)
I know Paulie's been hurt...

But, Gload has certainly been looking deserving of a starting 1b job on an MLB non-contender of late.

Perhaps he'd be part of a trade for a cf or rp before the deadline.

:huh

Its funny that you name two of the most set positions, CF and RP, IMO. Brian is not going anywhere. We need a LF or SS, I think. Brian ANderson is here, for the present, and the future.

Edited by TitoMB345

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 12:45 AM)
What teams would be interested in him for a starting spot?

Most non - contenders like Pittsburgh have the likes of Sean Casey anyways.

pitt is likely to package casey or burnitz with hernandez in a trade

QUOTE(toasty @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
pitt is likely to package casey or burnitz with hernandez in a trade

Yeah but even if they did that, why would they then want to acquire someone like Gload who's over 30 and doesn't fit into their rebuilding plans?

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 12:36 AM)
I know Paulie's been hurt...

But, Gload has certainly been looking deserving of a starting 1b job on an MLB non-contender of late.

Perhaps he'd be part of a trade for a cf or rp before the deadline.

:huh

The bullpen is pretty solid now, and so is our centerfielder. If I could have it my way, the Sox would make one more trade to get a backup outfielder that can play center, when Anderson gets days off. That's it, because this team is solid all around.

Ross isn't ever going to get a chance to play everyday. I honestly do believe Ross could be an everyday first baseman(a Sean Casey type) in this league but because of his age and lack of power for a 1b, unfortunately I think he'll never get a shot.

I thought maybe Kenny was trying to sell him to the Pirates as part of a deal for one of their relievers in the event the Pirates dealt Casey (which they now have), but I can't imagine he would have much worth at all to a team like Pittsuburgh which needs to go young.

I like gload and what he brings to this team, but i would like to see him starting someplace else. He only plays first base with us (his outfield sucks) and we have thome for that too. I would love to see him trade to the rockies, pirates, or royals for a starting job and get some prospects in return.

QUOTE(zygoat @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 12:41 PM)
I like gload and what he brings to this team, but i would like to see him starting someplace else. He only plays first base with us (his outfield sucks) and we have thome for that too. I would love to see him trade to the rockies, pirates, or royals for a starting job and get some prospects in return.

Helton and Shealy say that won't work.

QUOTE(zygoat @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 12:41 PM)

ph_115732.jpgph_434626.jpg

I think if someone like the Royals actually offered us enough for Gload to give him up, and genuinely let him have a starting job, he'd surprise a lot of people with the numbers he'd put up. We've seen him hit .300 with at least some power for month-long stretches in the past, and I think he could do that for a full season if he was given the shot. That said, I doubt there's a GM out there who would give us enough to really prove it, at least not before Gload gets too old to do that. Sort of sad for him really, I think he could at least have had himself a decent few years if the cards had fallen right.

QUOTE(rowand @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 06:11 PM)
let's let him play 2-3 games a week with us since he is hitting well. pick our spots with thome and give konerko a day off once a week for pete's sake.

Or how about we let him play in LF more? His D is bad out there, but so is everyone else we've put out there this season. There's no reason to keep PK and Thome on the bench once a week if they're healthy.

QUOTE(rowand @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 01:11 PM)
let's let him play 2-3 games a week with us since he is hitting well. pick our spots with thome and give konerko a day off once a week for pete's sake.

i.e., the Mackowiak effect

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 01:13 PM)
Or how about we let him play in LF more? His D is bad out there, but so is everyone else we've put out there this season. There's no reason to keep PK and Thome on the bench once a week if they're healthy.

I sensed sarcasm in his post.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 06:13 PM)
I sensed sarcasm in his post.

No, not at all. Gload is just as good of an option, if not better, at the leadoff position as Pods now. Hell, Gload is a better bunter, and he has more infield hits this season than Pods.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 02:13 PM)

If you look at the overall package, Pods >> Gload in LF. I know you hate Pods with a passion, but his defense hasn't been nearly as bad as you'd like to believe it is recently (last month or so).

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
No, not at all. Gload is just as good of an option, if not better, at the leadoff position as Pods now. Hell, Gload is a better bunter, and he has more infield hits this season than Pods.

No, I meant sarcasm in the post you were replying to. I don't disagree with your assessment though.

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 06:20 PM)
If you look at the overall package, Pods >> Gload in LF. I know you hate Pods with a passion, but his defense hasn't been nearly as bad as you'd like to believe it is recently (last month or so).

His defense all season has been atrocious. He has one of the worst arms in the majors, is terrible at judging bloopers, he plays entirely too deep, and his lack of focus in actually catching fly balls is pathetic. I'll be the first to admit I hate him, but even some of the most optimistic, least critical people on this site have seen enough of his defense to be sickened.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 01:28 PM)
His defense all season has been atrocious. He has one of the worst arms in the majors, is terrible at judging bloopers, he plays entirely too deep, and his lack of focus in actually catching fly balls is pathetic. I'll be the first to admit I hate him, but even some of the most optimistic, least critical people on this site have seen enough of his defense to be sickened.

I was a huge fan of Pods last season. This year is another story. He has provided no spark to this team at all. He doesn't steal, doesn't bunt, causes no distractions to the pitcher once he gets on, has a weak arm, and plays below average defense. If there are positives for keeping him in the lineup I am definitely not seeing them.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 02:28 PM)

Yea, his defense has been pretty bad this year. Most of that is from one specific period however, where he just couldn't catch the balls. As of late, his defense has been better. Yes, he still has a crap arm and plays deep, but what makes that any different than last year?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 02:31 PM)
I was a huge fan of Pods last season. This year is another story. He has provided no spark to this team at all. He doesn't steal, doesn't bunt, causes no distractions to the pitcher once he gets on, has a weak arm, and plays below average defense. If there are positives for keeping him in the lineup I am definitely not seeing them.

If you can prove either of those, I'm listening.

Also, I consider the fact that he isn't running as much a positive rather than a negative. It keeps him on the basepaths, and gives the heart of the order a chance to drive in more runs, since if he isn't stealing, he isn't getting thrown out.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 01:36 PM)
I

He is without a doubt my least favorite player in all of baseball. .370 Avg. @ home in his career only .295 on the road also his Home OPS is 240 points higher than his road for his career. In other words he's a pretty decent 1B on the road but one of the greatest players in the history of baseball at home, odd.

Jeffrey Hammonds 2000