Someone get this gal a sammich...

Steff

There is something about that too, this drive some women have to be absurdly, sickly skinny, that I just don't get. If the motivation is to look skinny for someone... who is it for? Because in my experience, most men prefer women with at least a little bit of curves. Something other than skin and bones. sure, some men like more or less of it, but its pretty rare to find a guy who likes the stick figure on the right (with one exception - the extreme control freaks).

So who are they doing it for?

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 04:12 PM)
Themselves. There body image perception isn't exactly very realistic.

Referencing Karen Carpenter -- this time on a serious note -- her initial bout with Anorexia was due to a review written in the Rolling Stone which, apparently, labeled her as "chubby." I doubt it solely contributed to the illiness, but more than likely became the proverbial "straw which broke the camels back." Friends, family, her own brother criticized her lax eating habits by continually reinforcing their position she was beautiful prior to the weight-loss. It didn't work. We're our own worse critics.

Walking across campus, I rarely observe women I'd suspect of an eating disorder. It's actually quite the opposite -- full and large figure women wear absurdly tight clothing. These people obviously didn't conform to the standards set forth by Cosmopolitan, or some walk-way fashion show in Milan. Even though I'm fairly skinny for my height (6'2, 170), I'd prefer a girl with "curves" over someone at risk of having a gentle breeze blow them into the atmosphere.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 04:51 PM)
Referencing Karen Carpenter -- this time on a serious note -- her initial bout with Anorexia was due to a review written in the Rolling Stone which, apparently, labeled her as "chubby." I doubt it solely contributed to the illiness, but more than likely became the proverbial "straw which broke the camels back." Friends, family, her own brother criticized her lax eating habits by continually reinforcing their position she was beautiful prior to the weight-loss. It didn't work. We're our own worse critics.

Walking across campus, I rarely observe women I'd suspect of an eating disorder. It's actually quite the opposite -- full and large figure women wear absurdly tight clothing. These people obviously didn't conform to the standards set forth by Cosmopolitan, or some walk-way fashion show in Milan. Even though I'm fairly skinny for my height (6'2, 170), I'd prefer a girl with "curves" over someone at risk of having a gentle breeze blow them into the atmosphere.

You and I have the same preferences. I'll take girls that look healthy over stick figures any day of the week.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 04:09 PM)
There is something about that too, this drive some women have to be absurdly, sickly skinny, that I just don't get. If the motivation is to look skinny for someone... who is it for? Because in my experience, most men prefer women with at least a little bit of curves. Something other than skin and bones. sure, some men like more or less of it, but its pretty rare to find a guy who likes the stick figure on the right (with one exception - the extreme control freaks).

So who are they doing it for?

It's a psychological issue. One that can dominate their lives. They don't see themselves as skinny, even if they are 20 lbs underweight.

It doesn't look good, and once they can step back and start recovering from the problem they can see that. But during their obession with weight, they simply cannot.

I think the culture of their professions also plays into it.

We've all seen how those craprag tabloids laugh it up when a celebrity gains a few pounds. They show the most unflattering photos they can find and come up with little jabs at them in print.

They make fun of the ultra-skinny, too, but not nearly as viciously as they tear into the "fat" celebrities.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 04:51 PM)
I'd prefer a girl with "curves" over someone at risk of having a gentle breeze blow them into the atmosphere.

One reason why todays fashion models can become rich so fast is because they NEVER have to spend any money on food!! A normal person may have ham and eggs for breakfast, but if you ask a fashion model if she would like some breakfast, her reply would be "No thank you!, I'm still full from the 2 corn flakes that I ate 3 days ago."