AAP: Donny Lucy

CWSGuy406

Per the Official Stanford Cardinal Website (Link to Page)

Hometown:

Fallbrook, CA

High School:

Fallbrook HS

Height / Weight:

6-3 / 210

Position:

C

Birthdate:

08/08/1982

Bats/Throws:

R/R

General - An extremely talented and athletic catcher • Has great arm strength and is an excellent receiver defensively, as well as a potent bat offensively • Handles pitchers well • Has an excellent attitude • Became Stanford's everyday catcher for the first time in 2004 • Performed well when he had a chance during his first two years (2002-03) but was forced to play a lot of either first base or designated hitter while behind First Team All-American Ryan Garko at the catcher position • Has increased the rate of his improvement while he gets a chance to play behind the plate consistently • One of the team's fastest players and top baserunners • Selected by the Chicago White Sox in the second as the 59th pick overall in the 2004 MLB First-Year Player Draft.

Cardinal Career - All-Pac-10 selection in 2004 • Has a career .298 batting average with 17 homers and 94 RBI, while stealing 17 bases in 21 attempts • Has added 100 runs scored, 137 hits, 25 doubles and one triple in 141 games and 115 starts • Has 25 career multiple-hit games, including eight with three hits and one with four • Has 22 career multiple-RBI contests, including eight with thee • Has a .345 career average in postseason action with 10 hits in 29 at bats • Opened his collegiate career strong with at least one RBI in each of the first 12 starts (2/8/02-3/2/02) during his freshman season • Helped the Cardinal to one of the most memorable wins in school history when he led off the bottom of the 13th inning with a double and scored the game-winning run in a 3-2 win over Cal State Fullerton in the 2002 NCAA Regional opener (5/31/02) • Also had a memorable moment when he hit a walkoff homer to lead off the bottom of the 10th inning to beat UCLA 9-8 and clinch the outright 2003 Pac-10 title for the Cardinal (5/18/03) • Named an honorable mention Freshman All-American by Collegiate Baseball in 2002.

High School - A 2001 graduate of Fallbrook High School • Named a 2001 Preseason Second Team All-American by Baseball America • 2001 San Diego County Male Athlete of the Year • A two-sport standout as a catcher and utility player in baseball, and as a running back and linebacker in football • Was a four-time All-Avocado League selection and a three-time All-CIF choice • Selected All-State and was named Avocado League Player of the Year in his senior campaign • Batted .415 with 10 homers and 46 RBI in his junior year prior to hitting .380 with 10 homers and 35 RBI in his senior season • Led his team to two Avocado League championships (1999, 2001) • Was selected twice to the All-Avocado League Team in football • Named All-CIF and All-State on the gridiron as a senior while also earning Avocado League and CIF Defensive Player of the Year honors • Football team won league and CIF championships in his senior season • Four-year member of the Principal's Honor Roll • Coached in baseball by Jay Craven.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's also a pretty good article on Lucy about how he struggled to grab the starting spot through his first two years at Stanford, but eventually, after struggling through adversity, was able to grab the job and hasn't looked back since (this article being written early in 2004). Here's the Link.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donny Lucy got off to a bit of a slow start last year in the Pioneer League with Great Falls, but hopefully he'll be able to rebound.

Per Minorleaguebaseball.com:

AVG G AB R H RBI 2B 3B HR BB SO SB CS

.239 50 176 19 42 26 7 1 1 17 36 13 1

Pretty good speed though for a catcher -- 13 SB, only one caught stealing. Also, showed some pretty good discipline at the plate. Then again, this is an awfully small sample size to take anything from it.

I don't know if other members are supposed to add to this. But I'd like to mention he was a sleeper pick and didn't have much college experience so he's a little raw.

He quite possibly has the best athletic talent of the draft though (catching wise) and shows good power potential as well. Has a good catching body too.

But like I said very "raw" for a college player.

I don't know if other members are supposed to add to this.  But I'd like to mention he was a sleeper pick and didn't have much college experience so he's a little raw.

He quite possibly has the best athletic talent of the draft though (catching wise) and shows good power potential as well.  Has a good catching body too.

But like I said very "raw" for a college player.

Go right ahead, Jason. Hell, most of you guys know more about Lucy (and other prospects in general) than I do, so feel free to add anything you'd like...

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

JPTiLCYA.jpg

Donny Lucy, C, 24

Full Name: Donald John Lucy

Born: August 8, 1982

Height: 6-3 Weight: 210 Bats: R Throws: R

High School: Fallbrook (Fallbrook, CA)

College: Stanford University (2004)

OVERVIEW...

Donny Lucy was drafted by the Sox in 2004 after 3 strong years at Stanford, and has been making his way up the line since. After playing 50 games with the Rookie League Great Falls team in 2004, he played a full year at A- Kannapolis, then spent most of last year at A+ Winston Salem, and finished the season at AA Birmingham. Lucy has a history of hitting for solid average and showed flashes of power in college, and brings some speed to the table as well. His defense has been described as solid overall and even excellent with the glove, but his arm is not great (threw out only 29% of runners in 2005) and needs improvement (Lucy was coming off a throwing hand injury that year as well, which may have been a factor). He has stolen double digits in bases both of the last two seasons, which is unusual for a catcher. His handling of pitchers has been described favorably as well. Given his lack of C-position play in college and still-young MILB career, along with the scouting reports out there on Lucy, there seems a good chance he will improve and could turn into a productive C at the MLB level. But he'll need to add some power and improve his arm if he wants to start at that level.

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS...

--Graduated from Fallbrook High School (CA) in 2001, where he played football and baseball

--2001: Named San Diego County male athlete of the year, playing as both a catcher and infielder in baseball and running back and linebacker in football.

--2002-2004: Played baseball for Stanford Cardinal

--2004: Named All PAC-10 Catcher

--2004: One of 15 finalists for Johnny Bench Award

--2004: Selected in 2nd round (59th overall) by Chicago White Sox

--2004: 50 games with Great Falls ®

--2005: Invited to Spring Training with White Sox but suffered a fractured right (throwing) finger, didn't come off DL until 6/6

--2005: 54 games with Kannapolis (A-), after coming off DL

--2006: 97 games with Winston-Salem (A+), then promoted and played 18 games with Birmingham (AA)

--2007: Invited to Spring Training with White Sox

NOTES...

--Played his first 2 years at Stanford landlocked behind Ryan Garko, now of the Cleveland Indians, and played much of that time at 1B and DH

STATS...

Baseball Cube

Spring Training 2007 Stats for all AL catchers

CURRENTLY...

--Lucy got his first Spring Training invite this year, and thus far (as of 3/6) he's 1 for 3 (.333 BA) plus a walk (.500 OBP) at the plate in three games of action.

--He played most of 2006 at W-S, then 18 games at Birmingham. I'd guess he'll be at AA Birmingham in 2007, but its hard to say at this point. He is listed on Birmingham's roster at this point.

OTHER SOURCES...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/playe...layer_id=455113

http://gostanford.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl...cy_donny00.html

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 7, 2007 -> 05:32 PM)
I'm shocked about the scouting report on his throwing. I saw him last year in spring training and he had by far the strongest arm amoungst the catchers in the drills I saw. Either he was having a real good day, or the other guys are just pathetic.

I'd venture a guess that the scouting report is based on 2005, his first year above Rookie ball, and he was coming off a finger injury on his throwing hand. That might explain the report, and the less-than-stellar throw-out rate. I cannot find any reports on him more recent than that, regarding his arm. If you find anything, please add it to the thread! If his arm is better than written up, I'd say the only major tool he's missing at this point is power.

• 4 weeks later...

Donny Lucy is starting the year in B-Ham as expected. Looks like he is the starting guy there, which is probably better for him than playing backup to Wiki in Charlotte - more playing time. And so far, here is his line in the first 4 games of the season...

AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS

.455 4 11 4 5 3 0 0 1 8 3 1 0 0 .571 .727 1.299

Can't complain too much about that. I still believe this kid is the best catching prospect in the system (which admitedly isn't saying a lot), and if he continues to hit well added to his already-solid defensive play, he'll probably be in Charlotte before the season is out.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 17, 2007 -> 09:32 PM)
Lucy >>>>> Molina, in just about every aspect of the game, except in Gustavo-ness.

I think that Gustavo moved up quickly out of sheer luck more than anything. His numbers offensively have been terrible pretty much every stop in his career, and his defense is not spectacular (but solid). But, the Sox org had zero catchers the last few years worth noting, and moved up behind Stewart, who then departed. Yes, I think Lucy is immensely more valuable in almost every way than Molina. And if Hall can't come back and if Donny continues to hit well, I think Lucy should be moved up to Charlotte, and he should get some serious consideration for the backup catcher's role (since Wiki is sucking at Charlotte anyway).

Unfortunately, I think Lucy is not being considered ready for the big time just yet. But if Lucy, Wiki and Molina keep doing what they are doing, I think that might change.

• 2 weeks later...

Since we've now completed April play, it seems a good time for an update. I'll try to do monthly updates on Donny...

Through the first month of the season, Lucy has put up some impressive offensive numbers. He was already considered a strong defensive catcher and game caller, so having a hot start at the plate was just what he needed. Some highlights (ranks in parens)...

.317 AVG (8th in league, 1st on team)

.397 OBP (10th in league, 1st on team)

.889 OPS (12th in league, 1st on team)

8 Doubles (4th in league, 2nd on team)

8 Walks (T-3rd on team)

3 SB (T-4th on team), and no CS.

Defensive stats are hard to come by. The only official stat I found on Lucy's MILB page is errors, of which he has one. Not much value in that stat. But I was able to find something else interesting... Lucy started the season terribly against would-be base stealers - he allowed the first 14 straight to reach safely, culminating in 4 SB against him on April 20th. He was given the day off on 4/21, and since that awful game, he has now thrown out 4 of 6 attempting to steal. I am not sure if someone helped him out in some way, or maybe just gave him a talking to, but his throw-out rate has changed dramatically. Let's hope that keeps up.

Overall, great month for D Lucy!

• 1 month later...

Well, Lucy had a downright lousy May, offensively. Here are his May numbers:

AVG: .213

OBP: .284

OPS: .559

2B: 2

HR: 1

BB: 8

K: 17

SB/ATT: 2/3

And after that, here are his overalls through the end of May:

AVG: .259

OBP: .338

OPS: .709

2B: 10

HR: 2

BB: 17

K: 131

SB/ATT: 5/6

The one bright spot - defesively, Lucy's has continued to excel at throwing our runners attempting to steal. Since April 20th, Lucy has thrown out 26 out of 41 (63.4% CS) attempted base stealers. At least with his offensive woes, his defense seems uneffected.

June is a big month for Donny. His defense and pitcher handling are solid, so if he can put together a solid June at the plate, he'll still be on track for a possible callup to AAA this year. This year as a whole is critical to how Lucy will be seen by the organization - a serious candidate as a future MLB catcher, or another in the pool of mediocre catchers in the Sox system.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 08:49 PM)
Make me #2. Suzuki was sick at Fullerton. Is he still a catcher though? Everybody knew his bat would be good, but some didn't think he could stick at catcher.

He's still a catcher, but I know that is still a concern (whether he is good enough defensively to stick there). He's solid at best behind the plate. Lucy is far superior defensively, but hey, you also have to be able to hit and Suzuki can rake plus he's a tremendous leader and that leadership helps him behind the plate.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 09:16 PM)
One of them was me.

One of them was me.

Alot of people know I was definitely one of them. I am still pissed till this day and always say as far as Lucy to "prove me wrong" kinda point.

• 3 weeks later...

Time for the June report...

D Lucy had a very solid June, a big improvement over his May stats. Here are his offensive numbers for the month:

AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS

.296 20 71 9 21 4 0 2 9 4 7 1 0 .333 .437 .770

So as of now, his season numbers (this includes 7/1):

AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS

.272 65 217 31 59 14 0 4 16 20 39 7 1 .335 .392 .726

He's having a good offensive season, especially when he has made the A+ to AA jump that has dumbfounded so many Sox offensive prospects before (the ballpark is a factor). His power numbers need to go up I think, but that will be a tough thing to do in B-Ham. He did actually double his HR total for the season (from 2 to 4) within the past 10 games, and he is hitting .333 during that period.

If Lucy's July can be similar to his June offensively, I'd say its time to think about promoting him to Charlotte - especially since Molina and Gonzalez are doing nothing special there.