6/21 games

Cerbaho-WG

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...ox&did=milb

Floyd went 8.2 giving up just one earned run on six hits and two walks while striking out eight. June splits:

30.2 IP 21 H 5 ER 1 HR 7 BB 29 SO .188 BAA

Pods went 3-4 with a HR. Why steal bases when you can hit home runs?

Games that have not started yet

Barons @ Chatanooga - Gio pitching

W-S @ Potomac - Richard pitching

Kanny @ WV - No probables

Bristol @ Johnson City - No probables

Great Falls v. Billings - Johnnie Lowe pitching

FLoyd couldn't get out #27...

His line was 8.2IP 0R 4H 1BB 7K. But he gave up two "soft liners" which sounds like bloop hits to me. Then struck out terry tiffee, but he made it to first on what was ruled a wild pitch. Then he walked the next batter on 5 pitches. It was an even better outing than the line indicated.

At the time he was acquired, I wasn't a fan. But I qualified that by saying that if he didn't turn into something by April of '08 then he never would. Here's hoping that he's turning into something useful/valuable. Now seems like the perfect time to give him a try.

I hate to keep bringing this up, but how convinced are you all that Contreras will actually waive his NTC before this season ends? I'm pretty sure it's complete. Count strikes me as a guy particular about his environment, and he's made it clear that Chicago is comfortable to him.

Browsing through Kannapolis' game notes available on their official website, De Los Santos isn't projected to pitch any of the following three games (Fri./Sat./Sun). He hasn't started since June 13th. Either he's injured, the organization is forcing him to skip a start, or he's about to be promoted.

Concerning Floyd's stellar June, I'll have to commend Williams and company if he continues pitching well. I've criticized his inclusion in the Garcia trade since the beginning. His lack of prolonged success above AA, questions of his confidence, and success in the Arizona Fall League had me wondering whether Williams had merely traded for another man-crush.

As of late, whatever the Charlotte coaching staff has done with Floyd it's working. If he isn't in the rotation soon (via trade) or come September, he'll definitely be pitching in it come 2008.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 11:45 PM)
I hate to keep bringing this up, but how convinced are you all that Contreras will actually waive his NTC before this season ends? I'm pretty sure it's complete. Count strikes me as a guy particular about his environment, and he's made it clear that Chicago is comfortable to him.

The only reason I bring his name up is because I remember a quote from him immediately after he got traded to the Sox along the lines of, "if they [the Yankees] don't want me in their house anymore, then I don't want to be here".

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 04:45 PM)

It's fully possible to deal him after the season is over, first of all. Secondly, we don't know how things have developed in that locker room recently; he signed that deal before 06, and he's gone through another season and a half of personnel turnover, and Lord knows what else, since then. And third, it may well depend on who is doing the asking and whether or not Jose would want to pitch there. SI this morning was passing along rumors that JC may be available, so it's not out of the question

The Yankee quote sounds like bitterness to me. I mean to demand a complete NTC in his contract ensures that even if the White Sox do not want him, he can stay.

And I realize he can be traded after the season ends. But if he wanted to stay here in the slightest, he would be wise to invoke the clause and not concede an offseason trade. Because when the '07 year is over, all records will be equal and no GM hand would be forced nearly as much in the thick of a race. If his performance were to continue to decline the rest of '07, the Sox might find themselves hard-pressed to move a geriatric who's due $20 million over the course of two seasons.

Man I would love to have Count moved for help this deadline instead of Buehrle, but I cannot see it happening.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 06:47 PM)
Browsing through Kannapolis' game notes available on their official website, De Los Santos isn't projected to pitch any of the following three games (Fri./Sat./Sun). He hasn't started since June 13th. Either he's injured, the organization is forcing him to skip a start, or he's about to be promoted.

The All-star game was probably his day to pitch, and they just decided to keep him on rotation. (skip a start, but give him the 1IP in the All-Star game)

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 07:18 PM)
Man I would love to have Count moved for help this deadline instead of Buehrle, but I cannot see it happening.

I agree it's difficult to move Contreras, but not impossible. You can tell him that he'll be moved after 2007 due to salary considerations, at which time he'll have no control over where he goes. Now you can present him with a list of places and he can say what he would find acceptable. Obviously, this alienates the player, but it would be one way to approach it.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 05:49 PM)
I'm ready to see Floyd pitch in Chicago.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 05:52 PM)
I'm willing to bet KW has taken notice of this and is shopping Contreras very hard right now.

That's easier said then done... Jose's got a NTC, and he does like Chicago.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 06:47 PM)

Concerning Floyd's stellar June, I'll have to commend Williams and company if he continues pitching well. I've criticized his inclusion in the Garcia trade since the beginning. His lack of prolonged success above AA, questions of his confidence, and success in the Arizona Fall League had me wondering whether Williams had merely traded for another man-crush.

As of late, whatever the Charlotte coaching staff has done with Floyd it's working. If he isn't in the rotation soon (via trade) or come September, he'll definitely be pitching in it come 2008.

Well, he is on the international squad for the future's game, but that is about a month away. I hope he is about to get called up.

Birmingham's offense finally woke up, leading 8-3 going into the 9th. Lucy 2-4. Gio with a meh start, 5 IP, 7 K, 3 ER, 5 BB

Ok now's the time to start getting excited about Floyd. Seems like he's finally worked out how to pitch with that stuff he has, and he's beginning to get results.

If only Buehrle had that long - term deal, and Contreras was a FA after this season eh?

FWIW, unless the Sox deal a starter (most likely Buehrle), keep Floyd down in Charlotte. Don't promote him into the bullpen, and totally mess up his rhythm.

Then in the off-season, if Buehrle leaves as a FA, that opens a spot in the 08 rotation for Gavin. If Buehrle re-signs, you shop Contreras as much as you can (unless he suddenly gains velocity and goes back into 2005 Post ASB mode) to make a deal.

It'll open some payroll flexibility and allow the Sox to fill other needs in the pen and lineup.

Sergio Miranda, 13th rounder, is 6-11 with Great Falls so far. To my surprise he turned 20 in March, making him a year younger than most of the college juniors drafted. Considering he doesn't have as much of an age handicap as a lot of college guys, he might actually be worth following.

General manager Ken Williams continues to hear good things about the improvement of right-hander Gavin Floyd at Class AAA Charlotte. Floyd is 3-0 with a 2.62 ERA over his last five starts, but the best report Williams is hearing is that Floyd has shown some mental toughness, which was a concern in the spring.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 09:11 PM)
He's had two doubles the last two days back in CF, so we k now he's finally good to go.

Here's something you don't see in the stat lines every day:

BATTING

2B: Young, E (7, Anderson), Anderson (7, Anderson).

I really hope Floyd gets up before the summer ends and gets to spend a month or two up here -- preferably the last two months of the season, so we can have a better idea whether or not we can count on him for NEXT YEAR and into the future. If we can rely on him, we're in better financial shape going into the future.

He's earned the right to be given a look in the Major League rotation and he's earned the right to have it be sustained and see how he goes.

Getting him up here is now up to KW, as Gavin Floyd has earned his shot.