Position Switch

Marky Mark

We hear about guys switching from SS to 3B like A-Rod did when he came to New York, but how bout 3B to SS? If we moved Fields that would fill in for Uribe and give Crede a chance to prove himself again. The only question is, is this even a possibility? Anybody ever heard of a 3B to SS switch?

Well, here's the way I'm going to think about it:

If it comes down to it, and you don't have the gun to your head option, pick one:

Fields @ SS

Uribe @ SS

Out of those 2, I think I'd go with Josh.

Hopefully Kenny gets his hands on a real SS somewhere so we don't have to contemplate that.

I don't see Fields at SS really do you? Maybe a trade for Tejada or they reup Uribe would be my guess. Fields is LF and Crede at 3B. The comment was made that Crede can prove himself again. Joe doesn't have to prove himself in my opinion. He can do a gold glove job at 3B and this back surgery will not be a hindrance from the medical reports mentioned in various Sox sites.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 03:26 PM)
I don't see Fields at SS really do you?

I don't either. Then again, I've never seen Fields try to play SS.

That said, I'd rather have KW find a natural SS on the FA market or pick up Juan's option for next year.

It was mentioned by both Hawk and Stone on Tuesday night that one of the reasons Ripken was able to successfully make the transition from third to short was because the Orioles pitching staff was so outstanding at the time. Their location was so good that Ripken was able to cheat to where such location normally elicits balls in play to and therefore it was not required that he have as much range as otherwise might be the case.

Fields at short would be hideous. The guy isn't even average at 3rd defensively and I still think we will see him in left or right field next season (with Crede back at 3rd because in the end 4.5-5M is worth it for one Joe Crede...his bat is still good when he's healthy and he's a legit stud defensively).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 10:29 PM)
Fields at short would be hideous. The guy isn't even average at 3rd defensively and I still think we will see him in left or right field next season (with Crede back at 3rd because in the end 4.5-5M is worth it for one Joe Crede...his bat is still good when he's healthy and he's a legit stud defensively).

Any one think about him at 2B? If he could make the turn it would really open up some possibilities. At first blush you'd think he was too clumsy but some other bigger guys, Baerga, Sandberg or Grich for example, turned out pretty good. Fields seems to handle any ball that he doesn't have to think about and I think 2b is less 'cerebral' than 3b for a young player making his bones in the bigs.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 10:09 PM)
Any one think about him at 2B? If he could make the turn it would really open up some possibilities. At first blush you'd think he was too clumsy but some other bigger guys, Baerga, Sandberg or Grich for example, turned out pretty good. Fields seems to handle any ball that he doesn't have to think about and I think 2b is less 'cerebral' than 3b for a young player making his bones in the bigs.

He'd still have zero range.