Pet peeves....

Steff

Oh the list is endless as you can imagine, but I got a new one this weekend while helping a friend organize a seating chart for her wedding.

When you are fortunate enough to be included in a celebration.... is it to much to ask to RSVP?? Seriously? If you can't make it... pick up the friggin phone and let the person who went out of their way to address an envelope, put a stamp on it, and mail it to you, know that you can't make it. Never in my life have I not responded to an invitation to anything I was invited to. It's just so incredibly ignorant and rude.

:angry:

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 10:33 AM)
Oh the list is endless as you can imagine, but I got a new one this weekend while helping a friend organize a seating chart for her wedding.

When you are fortunate enough to be included in a celebration.... is it to much to ask to RSVP?? Seriously? If you can't make it... pick up the friggin phone and let the person who went out of their way to address an envelope, put a stamp on it, and mail it to you, know that you can't make it. Never in my life have I not responded to an invitation to anything I was invited to. It's just so incredibly ignorant and rude.

:angry:

:notworthy Trust me Steff it isn't nearly as bad there as here. Here, it is a way of life, the social norm. No one RSVPs for anything.

I hate internet stories that are put on multiple pages. C'mon, we know you just do it so we have to see the ads again at the top of the page, or for some kind of click counting scheme.

The RSVP thing sucks. happened at my wedding as well, had to track down a few relatives that we knew would be there, but wanted to make sure.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 11:35 AM)
The RSVP thing sucks. happened at my wedding as well, had to track down a few relatives that we knew would be there, but wanted to make sure.

Oh isn't that swell. So not only are they ignorant in responding, but YOU had to track them down. Just lovely. Like you didn't have enough on your plate.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 11:23 AM)
How about when they don't reply and then show up anyway with that 'pfft, c'mon you knew I'd be here' attitutde.

I've never experienced this, but seriously if someone did this at an event I was hosting I would let them know how I felt about it.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 01:25 PM)
I hate when you let someone in front of you in traffic, and they don't wave, like they're entitled to be there and don't give a s*** that you were nice enough to let them in.

On the other hand, it always makes my day a little better when the other person waves.

Ditto. Hate them almost as much as the asshole that rides the merge lane until the last second, then almost causes an accident to get over.

And how about the jerk who sees you with your turn signal on, traffic is stopped, and acts like he doesn't see you to let you in?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 01:25 PM)
I hate when you let someone in front of you in traffic, and they don't wave, like they're entitled to be there and don't give a s*** that you were nice enough to let them in.

On the other hand, it always makes my day a little better when the other person waves.

Totally agree both ways.

It makes me feel good when someone does wave, and pisses me off when they don't, especially when their lane is cutting off or there's some other situation where it absolutely is a favor to let them in.

I've found way more people do wave than don't, so that's good at least.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 10:41 AM)
:notworthy Trust me Steff it isn't nearly as bad there as here. Here, it is a way of life, the social norm. No one RSVPs for anything.

I'm sure it happens all over. It's just ridiculous. People should be ashamed to not make the simple effort to call and decline.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 02:29 PM)
Ditto. Hate them almost as much as the asshole that rides the merge lane until the last second, then almost causes an accident to get over.

And how about the jerk who sees you with your turn signal on, traffic is stopped, and acts like he doesn't see you to let you in?

Or worse yet, the person obviously speeds up to prevent you from merging. That's just being a dick, ha.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 01:31 PM)
Totally agree both ways.

It makes me feel good when someone does wave, and pisses me off when they don't, especially when their lane is cutting off or there's some other situation where it absolutely is a favor to let them in.

I make eye contact, roll down my window if necessary, and be sure they see me not only waving but mouthing "thank you". Never know when someone's at the end of their last nerve or trigger happy... :unsure:

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 02:31 PM)
Totally agree both ways.

True about most people waving. I find I get even angrier when the non-waver happens to be driving a BMW or something.

Good thread.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 01:34 PM)
Or worse yet, the person obviously speeds up to prevent you from merging. That's just being a dick, ha.

Oh I've had many conversations with myself over those folks...

"Hmmm... well Steff, do you think he saw you and was just being an asshole? Is it possible that he didn't see you? He must have just not seen you. There is no way someone would intentionally do something like that.... "

:lolhitting

I'm sure these traffic ones alone could add 10K posts to this thread.

Or blocking a driveway. Down here no one bothers to leave a space so someone can turn in.

Forget about merging. In Mexico the norm is the major road has the right of way and you are expected to stop if you are getting on. Combine that with US drivers who are use to speeding up to merge in. I'm not certain which scared me more, driving in Mexico and forgetting or driving in the US. Of course everyone thinks they are right.

I've grown to really dislike driving, so its hard for me to pick just one pet peeve among the myriad of stupid things people do while driving. Its like everyone's IQ drops 30 points upon turning the ignition (including, nowadays, myself).

But if I had to pick just one... blocking an intersection. If you can't make it across, don't enter the intersection. Its the ultimate act of selfishness - I'll just go right here and block the entire flow of traffic from the other direction, because I am more important than any of you.

Ugh. I used to like driving.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 01:42 PM)
I've grown to really dislike driving, so its hard for me to pick just one pet peeve among the myriad of stupid things people do while driving. Its like everyone's IQ drops 30 points upon turning the ignition (including, nowadays, myself).

But if I had to pick just one... blocking an intersection. If you can't make it across, don't enter the intersection. Its the ultimate act of selfishness - I'll just go right here and block the entire flow of traffic from the other direction, because I am more important than any of you.

Ugh. I used to like driving.

Everything is in walking distance, if you have enough time :D

Another social norm thing that use to be a pet peeve. People leaving shopping carts behind other people's cars. Turns out the whole area does this and it works faster for the cart picker uppers. They can walk straight down the row instead of squeezing between cars. It finally made sense, but at first it drove me nuts to come out of a store and find a cart left right behind my car.

Has anyone ever been making a turn, but there is oncoming traffic so you have to wait, and you can see the person behind you in your mirror going insane because you don't risk slamming on the gas to make the turn at the absolute split-second chance that could end up with you making a successful turn or getting hit in the side?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 02:06 PM)
Has anyone ever been making a turn, but there is oncoming traffic so you have to wait, and you can see the person behind you in your mirror going insane because you don't risk slamming on the gas to make the turn at the absolute split-second chance that could end up with you making a successful turn or getting hit in the side?

Yes, and if you make that left on a yellow light, that guy and 2 others will run the red trying to draft through behind you, making everyone else wait for them.

I've found that red lights are pretty much a guideline for how traffic should flow these days. Every single day I see people enter the intersection after it's turned red to just catch the 'tail end' of the light cycle. I'm actually afraid to get hit from behind because I usually err on side of stopping when I see it go yellow and I'm still a decent ways out.

Also, my new favorite driver is the guy who rides more than half way into the merge lane (2 lane road going into a 1 lane road due to construction) to block the pricks that think they should drive all the way up to the construction instead of getting in line like the rest of us.

People on the Elgin Ohare who stay in the left lane even though there are signs for miles saying it ends, and then when the lane does end, they want to get over and if you dont let them over (which I absolutely will not) they get mad and honk and stuff.

The people on 290 East that get off on Manheim to do the Manheim trick, and stay in the exit and merge right back on to avoid the traffic, in essence creating the traffic jam.

People at the gym that talk to you, even when wearing an Ipod

When people start a conversation with "They say"

MTV, everything about it

In attempt to find something to listen to on my commute to work, thinking maybe, just maybe Ill give Kiss FM another shot and not have Drex talking about gay issues again. I understand hes gay and he feels the need to talk about issues sometimes, but he has literally turned it into an everyday event and it got to the point that he singles out straight listeners.

Tony Korneheisers ego since landing MNF

When people call Nordstrom, Nordstroms

People that stand outside of business's trying to get money from me

These are only the tip of the ice burg, I dont want to offend anyone