How about them Royals

striker

They have two starters that are 3-0 and have sub 1 ERAs. That is impressive.

As much as I want the Whitesox to win, I wouldn't mind at all if they finished second to the Royals. It's always nice to see a team that struggles for so long finally get their time at the top.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 10:49 AM)
As much as I want the Whitesox to win, I wouldn't mind at all if they finished second to the Royals. It's always nice to see a team that struggles for so long finally get their time at the top.

Sorry, I would mind. I don't care for any of our divisional rivals. If you want an Underdog to root for, you have the Marlins.

If the Sox finished in 4th and the Royals won the division, that would be fine. If the Sox finished 2nd and the Royals won the division, I would tear the doors off my car.

Besides, I don't see the Royals has having nearly enough offense to win the division. When you have Miguel Olivo DHing - even against a lefty - it speaks volumes about how mediocre you are offensively. They barely hit 100 homers last year, and I'd be surprised if they cracked 130 this year, even with the addition of Guillen and Gordon and Butler with considerable MLB experience under their belt. In the AL, you have to score runs to win ballgames in the regular season. I don't see them doing that nearly enough.

Yeah... the Royals have been winning so far, but their offense is far from impressive... ranking in the bottom 5 in MLB in OBP and OPS... and finishing 2nd to last in runs scored. Even the pathetic Giants have scored more runs than the Royals.

Their pitching is going to have to be REALLY good for them to keep winning games unless they start hitting the ball.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 10:20 AM)
If the Sox finished in 4th and the Royals won the division, that would be fine. If the Sox finished 2nd and the Royals won the division, I would tear the doors off my car.

Besides, I don't see the Royals has having nearly enough offense to win the division. When you have Miguel Olivo DHing - even against a lefty - it speaks volumes about how mediocre you are offensively. They barely hit 100 homers last year, and I'd be surprised if they cracked 130 this year, even with the addition of Guillen and Gordon and Butler with considerable MLB experience under their belt. In the AL, you have to score runs to win ballgames in the regular season. I don't see them doing that nearly enough.

They have Ross Gload. No other offense is needed.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 12:18 PM)
I don't think they'll win, though they could well finish out of the basement.

I would like to see Greinke keep rolling. I enjoy watching him pitch, and besides, I'm a sucker for a good comeback story.

Greinke's pretty incredible, isn't he?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 01:28 PM)
Greinke's pretty incredible, isn't he?

Yeah, when he's on, he just cuts everyone to shreds. If only his other 11 personalities pitched so well.

(Kidding... Zach, even though you pitch for a rival, we love you, we love your sound.)

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 09:49 AM)
They have two starters that are 3-0 and have sub 1 ERAs. That is impressive.

I would check your fan card if you don't care if a division rival would win it over our team, just because they sucked for years. Who cares. Do you wish the Tigers well because they sucked for years as well. I am a sox fan, the rest of the teams in our division can go to hell. If we are finishing in 4th or 5th place, sure the Royals over the Indians and the Tigers. But I want the sox to win over any of the other teams. I could care less if the other teams sucked for 100 years.

I can like the players on the team as a fan of baseball. But the team itself can go to hell.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 01:33 PM)
I would check your fan card if you don't care if a division rival would win it over our team, just because they sucked for years. Who cares. Do you wish the Tigers well because they sucked for years as well. I am a sox fan, the rest of the teams in our division can go to hell. If we are finishing in 4th or 5th place, sure the Royals over the Indians and the Tigers. But I want the sox to win over any of the other teams. I could care less if the other teams sucked for 100 years.

I can like the players on the team as a fan of baseball. But the team itself can go to hell.

:cheers

they have given up 33 runs...second fewest in MLB is cardinals at 46 and second fewest in AL is 51 (us and As), but they have also scored the fewest runs in the AL, second only to san diego in all of baseball...

greinke meche and bannister is a nice group for them, but they wont keep this up all year, and i dont think they will hit enough to stay above .500 for very long

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 04:28 PM)
I don't want to sound too ridiculous here, but I could honestly see these guys having the best pitching staff in the AL. Their rotation and bullpen are both really, really underrated.

So far their top 3 is pretty damn good. The bullpen is still suspect. As long as Soria throws strikes they should be fine.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 04:50 PM)
So far their top 3 is pretty damn good. The bullpen is still suspect. As long as Soria throws strikes they should be fine.

I don't expect Tomko to be solid the whole season either. He has been upwards of a 4.5 ERA in the NL the past few seasons.

I'm worried about the Royals every year. Fans of teams outside the AL Central always assumed the Royals were an easy stat-padder team the rest of the teams in the division beat up on 19 times a year but even though they lost a lot you never could just show upand beat them. You had to play. They've been a pain in the ass team for a while now.

For the sake of their city and fanbase and the sweet park they play in I want them to do well but I damn sure don't want to lose to them.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 05:50 PM)

Leo Nunez looks like a stud, Mahay has pitched pretty well in the past, and Gobble was pretty solid last year too. I also like Ramon Ramirez and Yasuhiko Yabuta was an offseason signing a few people on here wanted the Sox to make.

I absolutely love that pitching staff. If they put up some runs, they'll be crazy scary.