50 FAVORITE WHITE SOX PLAYERS

knightni

49. Kelly Wunsch

1485049.jpg

(3 of 27 lists - 40 points - highest ranking #4 maggsmaggs)

bio by maggsmaggs

During the time I became a die-hard Sox fan, the soft throwing, submarine left-hander quickly became one of the most reliable arms in the Sox’s pen. But what really stood out to me about the Texas-native was his facial hair. He had such groomed facial hair, with a terrific goatee and trimmed side burns.

Every time you saw Wunsch on the field, in the dugout or just walking around, he genuinely looked happy. And everything I have read about him says that he was one of the nicest guys in baseball. Though he may be most remembered for being on the mound when the Carlos Guillen and the Mariners walked-off with a bunt in the 2000 playoffs, my heart has a soft spot for this southpaw.

He's also a hell of a singer and guitar player.

http://www.goodsportsrecordings.com/recording4.html

KELLY WUNSCH

Recording Date: 1/29/05 @ David Murray Productions in Texas

Song: Hurts So Good by John Mellencamp

Had heard through the grapevine that Kelly was an outstanding vocalist. When he entered the studio accompanied by his wife, Kelly expressed he was bummed about how his throat felt. He had been in a bar the night prior & was subject to a smoky environment. When he first stepped in front of the mic., his voice was cracking a lot. We were questioning if he could continue. But, the more he sang, the better he got. Man, he eventually lived up to his reputation and gave us some killer takes! This was followed by some cool electric guitar work. Kelly & his wife were totally cool and possessed that southern charm. Kelly was a total pro who came through and gave us a tremendous performance.

Please feel free to comment with any more info and favorite stories about this player or any other in this list.

I wore a Sox jersey to a department function out here once, a lady approached me and asked about it, turns out she was good friends with Kelley. Right around the time he had that brief stint with the dodgers. Closest thing I have to a real connection to anyone.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 08:40 PM)
I wore a Sox jersey to a department function out here once, a lady approached me and asked about it, turns out she was good friends with Kelley. Right around the time he had that brief stint with the dodgers. Closest thing I have to a real connection to anyone.

QUOTE (TCQ @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 07:55 AM)
Woah thats kinda depressing...Ill be your friend if you want

Classic and POTM worthy :lolhitting