50 FAVORITE WHITE SOX PLAYERS

knightni

46. Gary Peters

67590.jpg

(2 of 27 lists - 45 points - highest ranking #2 greg775)

Peters was an awesome pitcher on some piss-poor Sox teams.

bios by Texsox and greg775 -

Texsox -

What can be more exciting than a player who earns Rookie of the Year honors?

In the past few decades, the White Sox have had several ROTY on their roster. Whether it is fiery defense like Ozzie Guillen in 1985, towering roof top shots like Ron Kittle (1983) or less know to current Sox fans, stellar pitching like Gary Peters in 1963.

From 1963 until being traded to the Red Sox in 1969 Peters was a solid part of the Sox rotation. An All-Star in 1964 and 1967 he led the league in ERA in both 1963 and 1966. Along with Dean Chance, he led the league in wins during the 1964.

What made him a fan favorite, and earned him a spot on Soxtalk’s 50 Favorite Player list, was his rookie and sophomore years. Coming out of the gate in his first MLB season he compiled a 19-8 record and names like Cy Young were used for comparison. Proving his rookie year was no fluke; the following season he added to his win total and went 20-8 in 1964.

greg775 -

Gary Peters was my favorite player as a young kid for two reasons.

• The guy could pitch. The tall lefty (at least I think he was tall; that's how I remember him) had a super fluid delivery and for a couple of seasons was pretty much unhittable during an era in which pitchers dominated.

• The guy also could hit. Tony LaRussa probably stole the idea of batting his pitchers eighth from the White Sox who batted Peters I believe sixth or so a game or two simply because the guy could hit.

I'll never forget being sent to bed and sneaking out my radio to listen to a Sox-Cleveland game. Peters entered the game as a pinch hitter and I believe whacked a game winning homer, or at the least a game winning hit to win an extra inning game.

It was so neat to root for a pitcher who also could hit the ball.

To this day, I'd love to locate some old clips of him hitting and pitching. I don't remember ever seeing him get interviewed on TV and still know little about him. I think he lives in Sarasota now as I recall from some item regarding the all Century team.

For those of you who don't know much about Peters, believe me. He was a stud.

Great pitcher. Good hitter. Great memories of the guy.

Please feel free to comment with any more info and favorite stories about this player or any other in this list.

Gary Peters was also a pretty good hitter. I remember him being used as a pinch hitter and, iirc, being placed in the lineup as high as 6th. Gary Peters was one of my favorites as I growing up. I hope I didn't forget him on my list.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 12:30 PM)
Knight: Just a suggestion with the top Sox players. Maybe a sub-forum on the PaleHose main bored so that all of them are in one place and easier to see. Just a suggestion because it would be cool to see them all in one place rather than sporadically placed.

He's planning on a consolidated list. But this keeps the comments together and in a more linear organization by player. And fwiw, it's favorite, not top. Two different lists. I'm thinking Frank may or may not win this one, but he clearly wins top player.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 12:49 PM)
Gonna be honest, i've never heard of this guy before right now

:ph34r:

Here's a short little Gary Peters story for you. He was with Red Sox and was getting roughed up one day. This rookie catcher comes out to mound to talk to him and Peters, being the veteran pitcher that he was at the time said "WTF do you want?" At that point Carlton Fisk just turned around and walked back to his position.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 11:53 AM)
Here's a short little Gary Peters story for you. He was with Red Sox and was getting roughed up one day. This rookie catcher comes out to mound to talk to him and Peters, being the veteran pitcher that he was at the time said "WTF do you want?" At that point Carlton Fisk just turned around and walked back to his position.
:lolhitting great story.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 12:49 PM)
I don't think I ever heard of this guy. If I did, it didn't stick in my memory.

I don't have any memories of him playing, but after dredging up some memories, it was more along the lines of his name coming up when some young player posted a good season or two and everyone anointed him the next .

Sadly today a similar stat line, especially if he debuted in say 2002, there would be cries of steroids.

I think he came back for the all Century team or something special. He was honored in some way. He was pretty darn good. Like most all players of his era he didn't make much money playing baseball. I think these guys had to get jobs in the offseason.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 07:07 PM)
In 1967 the Sox gave the Yankees a run for their money with the big 3 pitching of Gary Peters , Tommy John and Joel Horlen.

The Red Sox did too, considering they won the '67 pennant. In fact, the Yankees weren't really a factor.