50 FAVORITE WHITE SOX PLAYERS

knightni

37. Ron Kittle

ronkittle-8x10-whitesox-batpose-83a.jpg

(5 of 27 lists - 64 points - highest ranking #4 southsider2k5)

bio by southsider2k5 -

Ron Kittle exploded onto the Chicago baseball scene in 1983. The son of a Gary steelworker, Kitty earned his way to the big leagues by bashing 40 and then 50 homers in his last two minor league stops before hitting for the Sox. Ron was one of the most powerful players on an exciting 1983 AL West division winning team. Kittle's rookie year of 1983 nearly had him breaking the old MLB record for home runs as a rookie of 37, which would stand until Mark McGwire hit the majors years later. He finished that season with 35 homers and a 100 rbis. That would be his best career year, as back problems and pitchers exploiting his all or nothing swing would eventually do him in. As a member of the Sox, he would finish with 140 homers, which still sits as the 9th highest total in White Sox franchise history, when he left the Sox for good, he trailed only Bill Melton. Kittle will go down in history as the man who holds the all-time record for "Roof-Shots" at the Old Comiskey Park, hitting seven in his short time on the southside.

Personally, I became a Kittle fan at age 9. For a few years as a child, my family lived in Houston. To get our fix of White Sox baseball, my dad would plan trips up to Arlington to see the White Sox play the Rangers when they were up there. During our 1983 trip there was a small group playing pepper in the left field corner. They kept hitting the balls a little too hard and they would eventually carry into the stands, where everyone kept poucing on them. Between my dad and I, we had gotten 3 different baseballs. Eventually Ron Kittle comes walking up to the stands, asking if he can have some of them back. Kitty orginally offered to give a ball back after he was done autographed. My dad managed to get him to agree to the signed balls, plus taking a picture with me. They finished up the pepper game and quickly obliged on his end of the deal. The autographed baseballs still sit in my collection 25 years later, and the picture, which Kitty autographed a year later in Chicago, still sits on my dads mantle.

Please feel free to comment with any more info and favorite stories about this player or any other in this list.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 10:36 PM)
I think I forgot Kittle on my list. I loved copying his batting style. He was very likeable. Saw him hit a roof shot one time. He hit more than one.

Kittle had seven IIRC. Six with home plate moved up, and one at it's more common distance.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 10:07 AM)
Kittle was my favorite player as a child.

+1

I began casually following the Sox in '82. Kittle's the reason that I began watching every game and/or reading the box score in the paper every morning.

Was not impressed with Kittle to be honest.

August 5th, 1983...White Sox @ Baltimore (it was Brooks Robinson night) and the game that night was delayed by about a 3 hour rain delay. I got a chance to meet nearly everyone on the White Sox (except Fisk, Luzinksi and a few others supposedly they were in the clubhouse playing cards) and Kittle was out holding a bat talking to the fans and he seemed to be not so cool. Can't explain it, but he didn't seem friendly. Then again, he was at least out there. I don't know he seemed kinda pompous to me. Maybe just my reaction at the time.

Talked to Ron Kittle and got his autograph, on the northwest corner of 35th and Shields, before game 1 of the 2005 ALCS, when i went back to Chicago for the first time in 26 years at that time.......

Nice guy, very friendly, i remember him well as a player for the Sox in the '80's.......