50 FAVORITE WHITE SOX PLAYERS

knightni

29. Jose Valentin

72453376.jpg

(9 of 27 lists - 82 points - highest ranking #5 Buehrle>Wood, Milkman delivers)

bio by Buehrle>Wood

You can't start any bio about Jose Valentin without mentioning the 'stache. It is truly a source of wisdom. It'll make you laugh. It'll make you cry. Simply put, it is the greatest thing in the history of ever. We can all only dream to have a 'stache like his one day.

Now, for Jose himself, yes, he was a pretty good player. Well, not really. He screwed up more often than Alicia Sacramone by dropping seemingly every ball that came to him in the field(that said his range was pretty good). But that doesn't mean he was wasn't entertaining. First off, Jose came to us because of the trade that got rid of maybe the most hated man in franchise history in Jaime Navarro. That definitly counts for something. The man had some great power for a shortstop too. He couldn't hit at all for average or OBP, but he averaged over 27 home runs in his 5 seasons here. A lot of those bombs were huge as well. His game winning home run against the Cubs in which he threw his hands up afterwords has become a lasting Sox image for me, and I'm sure it is for many other Sox fans. I'll also never forget being at the game in which he hit for the in order cycle way back in 2000.

His role on that 2000 team is certainly something I should mention too. His addition was a big part of the reason on why that team was able to power itself the playoffs. The 2000 team was probably the thing most responsible for me taking such a great interest in baseball, and he was one of the key players on it. He'll always be one of my favorites for that, despite being the flawed player that he was. The excitement he played with to go along with that 'stache, it's really hard not to like Jose.

m_57868b4084e9b3056a61bea75b3360dc.jpgm_57868b4084e9b3056a61bea75b3360dc.jpgm_57868b4084e9b3056a61bea75b3360dc.jpg

Funny Blog Post: A Letter From Jose Valentin's Mustache

It has its own MySpace Page

I have a few memories of Jose.

-The walk-off against the Cubs.

-Being in a Boston bar about 6 years ago and watching him hit a game-winner against the A's. They were rooting for the Sox as well. A's & Boston were in a battle for the Wild Card.

-One of the few Sox hitters who actually got a hit in the 2000 playoffs.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 12:03 PM)
Ahh, again I'm honored to have voted the highest for this man, despite being in the terrible company of B>W.

Knight, is there any way you can tell me who I voted #2 and #3? It has slipped my mind.

If I do, you'll probably be asked to do bios of them. :D