50 FAVORITE WHITE SOX PLAYERS

knightni

26. Alex Fernandez

alex_fernandez_autograph.jpg

(6 of 27 lists - 88 points - highest ranking #5 Heads22)

Bio by Heads22 and knightni -

Alex Fernandez was drafted #4 out of Miami-Dade College in Florida in 1990 - the highest draft pick since Baines in 1977. He was a power pitcher who dominated junior college and was considering transferring to the University of Miami before being drafted by the Sox.

He was a workhorse for the Sox during their playoff run in 1993. He pitched 247 innings and won a career-high 18 games. Then, Fernandez dominated the American League in 1996, pitching 258 innings, striking out 200 batters.

Alex was the ace for the Sox in the early to mid-90s - about the time I was starting to get into following baseball, as well as the Sox. He was a natural pick for me - well, because we share the same first name. All I can say is that I thank God my first name wasn't Jason at the time...

He left the White Sox in 1996 after his contract with them completed, and signed with his hometown Florida Marlins for 5 years/$35 million. He helped lead the Marlins to their 1997 World Series Championship but missed the entire 1998 season following a rotator cuff injury that he sustained in the playoffs. He came back in 1999 and won the Comeback Player of the Year Award but retired; at only 32, after the 2000 season, when his shoulder never fully recovered from the injury.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 06:14 PM)
That's wild he retired at the age of 32. More health problems for a good pitcher. I wonder what he's been doing the last few years? Counting his money, playing golf everyday or coaching somewhere?

from his wiki page

Going on a different path, Alex is doing radio and becoming active in politics in his hometown of Miami Beach, where he campaigned and helped elect its mayor. He is now the pitching coach at Archbishop McCarthy High School in Cooper City, Florida.