50 FAVORITE WHITE SOX PLAYERS

knightni

21. Willie Harris

26iZfwzW.jpg

(8 of 27 lists - 96 points - highest ranking #2 maggsmaggs)

bio by knightni -

GROUP FOUR!

Everyone loves the utility guy.

He's the one who can pinch run and steal a base.

He'll slap a pitch the opposite way, to start a rally.

Play second base, center field?

No problem skip!

Willie Harris one such man.

Born in the same small town as the great Jackie Robinson, he was taught shortstop by his uncle, ex-Brewer shortstop Ernest Riles.

He could play the infield, steal a base like a flash, and still run out there and play in the outfield.

Willie never really was on Ozzie Guillen's good side when Oz took over the Sox in 2004. Guillen wanted someone who would be more disciplined at the plate, ( even though Guillen himself never was.)

Willie rode the bench quite a bit in 2004 and 2005, but something happened. He started to get his swing working in late '05.

He was hitting pitches the other way, stealing bases, and being more disciplined.

Game 4 of the World Series.

Who was up to the plate as a pinch hitter in the top of the eighth?

Good ol' Willie.

He was batting for Freddy Garcia, who had just thrown 7 innings of shutout baseball.

Willie was facing fire-balling closer Brad Lidge.

BASE-HIT!

Willie took a wide turn and stepped back on the 1st base bag.

He took a lead...

The sac bunt was on!

Pods bunted Willie to second.

Jurassic sent him to 3rd on a ground out,

and then, JD hit a base hit.

Willie scored a run in the World Series.

Not just any run, it turns out. But, the only and winning run in the clinching game.

It was his turn now.

a3b9c290.jpg

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 11:37 PM)
I don't remember Freddie carrying the bat back, that's a cool picture.

Im pretty sure that's one of Ozzie's kids...

I wish Willie wasn't allergic to champagne, what a surly b**** life can be.

Since this is all for fun and games, I'll say this....Bobby Jenks deserves to be in the top 5. When you look at what he's done with the Sox, it's nothing short of incredible. His legacy will last longer with the organization than that of Ventura or Durham or (gulp) Rowand.

its not a list of "who's the best," its a list of "who's your favorite." The majority of posters on this board are younger, and they're going to remember guys like Willie Harris fondly over a guy like Kirk McCaskill or Dan Pasqua.

I don't agree with it, but I didn't participate by making a list, and I understand the philosophy behind the list. Seriously, we don't need 5 posts from people every new thread talking about how "__________" makes the list a waste or whatever. I get it, I feel your pain, but just chill out already.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 08:53 PM)
its not a list of "who's the best," its a list of "who's your favorite." The majority of posters on this board are younger, and they're going to remember guys like Willie Harris fondly over a guy like Kirk McCaskill or Dan Pasqua.

I don't agree with it, but I didn't participate by making a list, and I understand the philosophy behind the list. Seriously, we don't need 5 posts from people every new thread talking about how "__________" makes the list a waste or whatever. I get it, I feel your pain, but just chill out already.

Was that directed at me? I'm actually upset I didn't participate in this, as it would have allowed me to reflect on some players I don't often think about (Ellis Burks is a great example).

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 02:55 PM)
Was that directed at me? I'm actually upset I didn't participate in this, as it would have allowed me to reflect on some players I don't often think about (Ellis Burks is a great example).

no, not at all.

I've just read about 20 posts (in various threads) berating this list, and I think its a little silly and I think we should take the list for what its worth.

Willie Harris wouldn't be in my top 50 favorite players, but I could see the attraction. 'nough said.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 07:59 PM)
no, not at all.

I've just read about 20 posts (in various threads) berating this list, and I think its a little silly and I think we should take the list for what its worth.

Willie Harris wouldn't be in my top 50 favorite players, but I could see the attraction. 'nough said.

Yeah, after being on this board for about 4 years, you realize how some people generate a fan base while others don't. It reminds me of how 2 years ago, the U.S. Cellular in Homewood had Sox players there on consecutive weekends for autographs. The first weekend was Pods, and the line must have been 500 people deep. The next weekend was Garland, and literally there were 5 people there.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 03:03 PM)
Yeah, after being on this board for about 4 years, you realize how some people generate a fan base while others don't. It reminds me of how 2 years ago, the U.S. Cellular in Homewood had Sox players there on consecutive weekends for autographs. The first weekend was Pods, and the line must have been 500 people deep. The next weekend was Garland, and literally there were 5 people there.

Ben Davis had a fun club for the 2 months he was here, if that s***head can get a fan club anyone can... wait he didn't make the list did he? (joke.)

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 12:30 PM)
I'm predicting a top 5 of Thomas, Buehrle, Quentin, Konerko, Paniagua

This board skews pretty young, so you're probably right. But it's funny some of the names that were so popular in their time, back when the park was packing 40K+, who won't get in that top 5. Even Ozzie was a very popular player in his time.

That is wild and cool somebody ranked Willie No. 2 on their all time list. I would never even have thought of Willie but if he's your second fave player ever so be it.

I am glad he got that hit and scored that run!

Is he a starter this year? Is he a valuable big leaguer?

I do hope Swish and OC do not make the list. My gawd, they are newcomers and not worthy of any fan favorite lists yet.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 10:36 PM)
That is wild and cool somebody ranked Willie No. 2 on their all time list. I would never even have thought of Willie but if he's your second fave player ever so be it.

I am glad he got that hit and scored that run!

Is he a starter this year? Is he a valuable big leaguer?

I do hope Swish and OC do not make the list. My gawd, they are newcomers and not worthy of any fan favorite lists yet.

So you're saying Carlos Quentin doesn't deserve to be on the list?