50 FAVORITE WHITE SOX PLAYERS

knightni

19. Scott Podsednik

ddc4de29.jpg

(11 of 27 lists - 110 points - highest ranking #3 whitesoxbrian)

bio by whitesoxbrian -

My cell phone was broke, and it was a national aired radio show that didn't think the trade was huge. Carlos Lee to the Brewers for Luis Vizcaino and Scott Podsednik.

I thought to myself- why? Carlos Lee is a run producing machine, and I had heard Podsednik was brittle and Vizcaino was a gas-can.

Well, I figured out "why". He was the anchor in 2005. He got on, stole 2nd, got to 3rd on a bunt, and scored from there. He was the motor. I was Mr. Critical when it came to his defense, but he quickly made up for it in the box.

I've memorized his interview after the ALCS clincher, word-by-word. His throw to the plate in an attempt to stop Houston's 6th run in game 2 was awful, yet quickly turned to just another play in the game after he belted one off the struggling Brad Lidge into the right-centerfield seats. It was such an unbelieveable thing- the guy was homer-less during the regular season. Even Aaron Rowand didn't believe it was going to go. His enthusiastic trot rounding the bases will be engraved in my memory forever.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 12:05 AM)
I remember I was going to SIU when the trade happened, my roomie (who was a cubs fan) calls me and tells me about the Pods trade. At the time I was livid...

I was jumping in joy when I heard about the trade... I always thought of Carlos Lee as a POS and a distraction to the team.

I still get chills when I think of Rooney's call.

"Swings and hits a high fly ball, deep right center field, this is way back in the gAP AND IT'S A GONER! A WHITE SOX WINNER! A WINNER ON A PODSEDNIK HOME RUN!"

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 02:59 AM)
Scott's homer was one of the most magical moments in Sox history. Rowand and Anderson's reactions just added to moment.

I was about 9 seats from where it landed. I'll never forget that feeling of being frozen and wet then all of a sudden it was if the sun came out. The White Sox had one another WS game and the noise was so loud it was quiet.

First of all, lets put aside that he's by far the most attractive baseball player that ever lived (outside of CQ of course). I was always a bit hot and cold with Pods as I'm sure we can all imagine. But when he was healthy and stealing bases, he was very very fun to watch. If only he wasn't as fragile as Liney. I didn't realize how much I liked Pods until after he was gone. Then when we saw him this season, I really missed him. But still...got injured too much. But still...he's an '05 legend no doubt.