50 FAVORITE WHITE SOX PLAYERS

knightni

11. Magglio Ordonez

ordonez.jpg

(17 of 27 lists - 234 points - highest ranking #1 maggsmaggs)

bio by maggsmaggs -

“Oh-Wee-Oh, Magglio.” A common chant heard throughout Comiskey Park when “Maggs” roamed right field. He came up to the big leagues as a 23-year-old and left as a 30-year-old, but his eight seasons in a White Sox uniform were amazing. The majority of his years, he was an MVP candidate and only injuries and Scott Boras prevented him from playing with the Pale Hose longer. He and Frank Thomas made up one of the best 3-4 tandems in baseball in 2000 and he even patented his own defensive maneuver in right field. His famous butt slide with your feet under you became an Ordonez trademark. Forget his dramatic exit from the Sox and Ozzie’s bleep-filled tirade; just remember how great of an all-around player “Maggs” was. You don’t get to see a five-tool player very often, and “Maggs” was one of them.

From a PR standpoint, KW managed to replace a couple guys, Maggs and Frank, with guys we could really like. That isn't a knock on Maggs, I loved watching in him a Sox uniform, but look at who KW needed to get to replace him. While some could argue he went out on a sour note, everyone won in this case. The Tigers took a gamble, and won. The Sox got Dye. And Maggs is earning the kind of money he deserves. :cheers

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)
Up until the very end, he was nothing but a class act and an MVP candidate. If it weren't for Boras, he still would be here.

If it wasn't for the Tigers and their huge gamble, he would still be here. Boras doesn't have amazing mind meld powers. The Tigers took a gamble with a contract probably double what the Sox would and should have offered. Winners all around.

I remember his rookie year, I was just a boy. I went to a game early with my dad, it was an autograph day where the players were spread throughout the field by the bottoms of the lower decks signing hats and cards. The big name players had too big of lines of people so I was excited to get Jason Bere's signature. We had some extra time, so my dad wanted me to get this guy's autograph who I had never heard of, Magglio Ordonez. I can remember my dad saying that a lot of people were saying that he was going to be really good so I got it. I never knew how good Mags actually would be.

Now though...he really really has disgusting hair. But still a great player.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Sep 13, 2008 -> 04:29 PM)
I'm surprised he's this high too. He was beloved with the team, but seemed like he was good riddance after he left.

I don't think a lot of people thought "good riddance" when he left. I wanted to keep him. JD has been great for us but April and May of 05, Dye was awful.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Sep 12, 2008 -> 11:14 PM)
If it wasn't for the Tigers and their huge gamble, he would still be here. Boras doesn't have amazing mind meld powers. The Tigers took a gamble with a contract probably double what the Sox would and should have offered. Winners all around.

Except the Tigers only guaranteed him $6M. So yeah they took a gamble but not an astronomical one. His salary for the '05 season was $6M but if he spent at least 25 days on the DL during the 2005 season because of that osteochondritis condition then the Tigers could void the deal at seasons' end, they'd be out $6M thanks to their risk taking. The biggest risk was that Magglio would stay healthy for the first season (not likely if the knee injury was going to be a problem) then have a recurrence of the osteochondritis condition in the second season, costing the Tigers $63M (they would already have paid him $12M in the form of his '05 salary and a $6M signing bonus paid after the '05 season).

Magglio Ordonez was and still is an incredible talent and was certainly worth a $6M gamble (as well as a $63M gamble if he showed he could stay healthy over a full season of play) especially when you're a loser franchise looking to pick yourself up out of the gutter.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 14, 2008 -> 11:30 PM)
Except the Tigers only guaranteed him $6M. So yeah they took a gamble but not an astronomical one. His salary for the '05 season was $6M but if he spent at least 25 days on the DL during the 2005 season because of that osteochondritis condition then the Tigers could void the deal at seasons' end, they'd be out $6M thanks to their risk taking. The biggest risk was that Magglio would stay healthy for the first season (not likely if the knee injury was going to be a problem) then have a recurrence of the osteochondritis condition in the second season, costing the Tigers $63M (they would already have paid him $12M in the form of his '05 salary and a $6M signing bonus paid after the '05 season).

Magglio Ordonez was and still is an incredible talent and was certainly worth a $6M gamble (as well as a $63M gamble if he showed he could stay healthy over a full season of play) especially when you're a loser franchise looking to pick yourself up out of the gutter.

The crazy thing is that the Sox offered him more guarenteed money.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 10:26 AM)
The crazy thing is that the Sox offered him more guaranteed money.

Wasn't the Sox offer before the injury? I thought the Sox position post injury and surgery was no examination, no offer. Which seemed prudent to me.

Anyway, as it turned out, I'd rather have JD than Maggs. I am not delusional (on this lol), I know Maggs is the better player, but I think character counts and I'll take someone like Dye any day.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)
Wasn't the Sox offer before the injury? I thought the Sox position post injury and surgery was no examination, no offer. Which seemed prudent to me.

Anyway, as it turned out, I'd rather have JD than Maggs. I am not delusional (on this lol), I know Maggs is the better player, but I think character counts and I'll take someone like Dye any day.

They made him an offer of 4/$48m (IIRC) post injury. Once he turned that down, they pulled it off of the table. After the lies started, they didn't really negotiate anymore.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 10:34 AM)
They made him an offer of 4/$48m (IIRC) post injury. Once he turned that down, they pulled it off of the table. After the lies started, they didn't really negotiate anymore.

That was a pretty poor negotiation, at least what was reported.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 10:58 AM)
That was a pretty poor negotiation, at least what was reported.

I could have swore that they at least made him a much bigger offer than that, an offer that at the time was described as the biggest contract offer the White Sox had ever made. It wasn't the same he got from Detroit as a ton of the money was deferred out over like 20 years, but I could have swore there was more than 4/$48 on the table when he got hurt.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 01:20 PM)
I could have swore that they at least made him a much bigger offer than that, an offer that at the time was described as the biggest contract offer the White Sox had ever made. It wasn't the same he got from Detroit as a ton of the money was deferred out over like 20 years, but I could have swore there was more than 4/$48 on the table when he got hurt.

:lolhitting we are all so old and feeble of mind. IIRC the Sox did make a very generous offer (by WS standards) and many here thought it was too much money. IIRC Maggs thought he could get more years and it appeared he had already made up his mind to test the waters when he was injured. I thnk the Sox did their best and acted prudently.