50 FAVORITE WHITE SOX PLAYERS

knightni

4. Carlton Fisk

carlton_fisk_1_1.jpg

(18 of 27 lists - 352 points - highest ranking #1 juddling, Texsox, YASNY, shipps)

bio by Texsox -

It seems natural that whatever position you played as a kid you will identify and be a fan of the guys playing that position. For me it is catcher, and the greatest practitioner of the trade in Sox history is Carlton Ernest Fisk.

I will admit I’ve cheated and really love AJ, and hope for the return of Sandy Alomar in a coach’s role, but the guy who I loved to watch was Fisk. Fisk was and is a hardnosed competitor, knowledgeable, hardworking, and most of all a protector of the game. I’ll suffer the indignation that Boston loves Fisk as well, the left field foul pole at Fenway is named Fisk’s pole and the clip of him waving the ball fair, in a Red Sox jersey, is perhaps the most played highlight of all time. I’ll even accept that in Cooperstown he’s wearing a Red Sox cap. But my other great favorite Baines is loved everywhere he played and it probably confirms the types of players I tend to be a fan of.

Fisk is one of only eight players to have their jersey retired by two teams. There is also a nice Fisk statue at the Cell. He has also been presented with two honorary World Series rings, The Red Sox for 2004 and the White Sox for 2005.

An honors section would stretch a long way, so instead I’ll end this with why he’s my favorite Sox player. You see, it isn’t just about ability. It’s character. My favorite Fisk moment was threatening to kick Dieon Sanders ass for not running out a pop fly. His exact quote to Sanders during his next at bat "If you don't play it [the game] right, I'm going to kick your ass right here." Damn that is so f***ing cool. He loves the game like a fan.

Back when I was a kid, I went to an SIU vs. ISU baseball game. The son of our friend played for SIU. Fisk was there watching his son pitch. His son was getting shelled.

Everyone we were with was telling me to go get Fisk's autograph as he was walking his little dog. I was scared so I pupped out. Someone in the SIU dugout gave me a ball to get signed but I was still scared.

Next to us were a bunch of ISU girls watching the game, the game was in normal, and one took my hand and dragged me to go get his autograph. She felt sorry for me. He was very nice, signed it, and I have it enclosed in a ball stand on my dresser.

I never saw that girl again. Sob.

Something I learned in writing the bio was that shot of Fisk waving the ball fair was an accident. The cameraman would have been following the ball but a rat (At Fenway!) distracted him and all he could do is follow the player. That highlight is credited with changing the way TV covers baseball, focusing on the player.

One time I thought I seen Fisk and I kind of freaked out,I nervously went up to him and said "hey!I was a big fan of your's,you are Carlton Fisk."And he replied "no,who is that?".To this day I dont know if it was Fisk messing with me or if it was really some guy that looked exactly like him.

QUOTE (shipps @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 01:56 PM)
One time I thought I seen Fisk and I kind of freaked out,I nervously went up to him and said "hey!I was a big fan of your's,you are Carlton Fisk."And he replied "no,who is that?".To this day I dont know if it was Fisk messing with me or if it was really some guy that looked exactly like him.

He use to work out every so often at the gym I go to. I approached him and he was very nice.