Denis Savard fired

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Critic @ Oct 16, 2008 -> 11:21 AM)

I think I deserve some credit (from the other thread).

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 16, 2008 -> 11:21 AM)
I would suppose it had a lot to do with how the team has looked. Pucks bouncing everywhere, no luck on the powerplay (despite endless amounts of PP talent)... I'm sure there will be a huge hire here somewhere...

Isn't Quenneville part of the organization now?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 16, 2008 -> 10:18 AM)
One thing I will say is I hope the new coach can help improve the power play strategy. I never liked it under Savard. It's really a shame they had to fire a organizational legend like this, and the timing of it is a bit strange, but it seemed like this was coming.

I honestly didnt like much of his offensive strategy. Even during our win last night, I felt like Phx had better control of the neutral zone and had more effective rushes in our zone. I would really like to see our PP a little more like the Wings.

What a stupid move. Why the hell would you fire a coach four games into a season that way overachieved last year? If he was on thin ice, he should have been fired in the offseason so that a coach could have time to teach his systems to the players over the course of a training camp. Now they have to learn a whole new system 4 games in? Dumb.

Don't like it at all.

I think Savard did an underrated job last season considering the injuries to Toews etc. to get us as close to the playoffs as we did.

And sure we'd had a slow start, but jees it's 4 games in.

I don't think Dale Tallon may be around much longer either the way things are going.

This move has Scotty Bowman written all over it.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 16, 2008 -> 11:44 AM)
I don't think Dale Tallon may be around much longer either the way things are going.

This move has Scotty Bowman written all over it.

I'm not surprised Quenneville ended up with Savard's job, and I wouldn't be surprised if Bowman ends up with Tallon's job.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 16, 2008 -> 12:00 PM)
My jaw dropped when I heard the news. I have to think something is going to come out about Savvy in the next few days, because the timing just doesn't make sense. 4 games into the season? After a win?

I will say this. If Rocky and Bowman want to put their stamp on this team fully(which I'm not opposed to), Tallon should have been out yesterday. If he sticks around until the end of the season, I'm going to be very upset.

I agree with you on Tallon 100 percent. And really, I agree on Savvy too. My Dad (biggest hockey fan I know) and I were talking about it the other night and we both agreed that Savard would be gone if we got into December and the team wasn't playing well and that Quenneville was the likely replacement, but I am shocked at the timing of this move.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 16, 2008 -> 10:28 AM)
What a stupid move. Why the hell would you fire a coach four games into a season that way overachieved last year? If he was on thin ice, he should have been fired in the offseason so that a coach could have time to teach his systems to the players over the course of a training camp. Now they have to learn a whole new system 4 games in? Dumb.

I have to agree with this.

Didn't mamma Sutter have another son we haven't hired yet and made coach?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 16, 2008 -> 11:28 AM)

i know very, very little about hockey, but this was exactly my thoughts as well....if you are sticking with a coach through the offseason, i would imagine you would be willing to stick with him after a 1-3 start. i mean lets say they beat nashville in OT and they are 2-2.....is he fired? if so, then they should have gotten someone else during the offseason, and if not, is 1 OT loss really gonna determine whether a guy was fired or not?