NY Daily News: Sox make Abreu 1-Year Offer

Steve9347

White Sox make Abreu one-year offer

2/3/2009

The White Sox have made free agent outfielder Bobby Abreu a one-year offer for $8 million, the New York Daily News reported.

Abreu made $16 million last season with the Yankees, hitting .296 with 20 homers, 100 RBIs, 100 runs and 22 steals.

The White Sox are the latest team linked to Abreu in the past week. The New York Post reported that the Mets have shown some interest, but have not made an offer. The Seattle Times reported that the Mariners were interested.

Edited by Steve9347

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 10:31 AM)
Wow. I assume Abreu can't play CF, right? Therefore, this means someone is about to get traded?

yeah this is very interesting....abreu would be a great #2 hitter IMO...someone would have to be moved though...maybe this is an old report that has just surfaced now, or maybe KW has a trade for dye on the table

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 08:31 AM)
Wow. I assume Abreu can't play CF, right? Therefore, this means someone is about to get traded?

That is exactly what I was thinking... Or are we looking at a 4 players for 3 positions scenario (Thome, Dye, CQ, Abreu for RF, LF, and DH.)?

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 08:34 AM)
yeah this is very interesting....abreu would be a great #2 hitter IMO...someone would have to be moved though...maybe this is an old report that has just surfaced now, or maybe KW has a trade for dye on the table

Yeah, I really don't see Quentin, Abreu, Dye, or Thome going to CF...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 08:35 AM)
That is exactly what I was thinking... Or are we looking at a 4 players for 3 positions scenario (Thome, Dye, CQ, Abreu for RF, LF, and DH.)?

Too much money and talent in those 4 players to do that.

QUOTE (scenario @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 10:08 AM)
Unlikely that anyone would trade for Dye with Abreu still available as a free agent...

But by signing Abreu, KW might be able to make a create a market for JD.

Pretty creative if true.

The Sox would be stuck with 3 OF's who could only play in corner OF spots though.

Don't think they can take that sort of chance.