BOLD predictions for 2009

Jordan4life_2007

Alright, I'm sitting here giddy as can be that we're less than a week away from pitchers/catchers reporting. Despite the fact that steroids is once again dominating the news (thanks A-rod), I think we can all agree that, when it's all said and done, the game itself takes precedence over any outside distractions.

Anyway, I thought it would be cool to make a BOLD predictions thread. Pretty self-explanatory. Basically, you predict something to happen that at the present time seems highly unlikely to damn near impossible. It could be anything from an unproven player having a breakout season (Josh Hamilton) to a team coming out of nowhere to contend (Rays). As we get into the season and things start to shake out, we can continually look back at this thread and see who's predictions were right, way off, or somewhere in between.

I'll start it off:

The Cincinnati Reds will WIN the NL central.

Yes, I really do believe this. I'm not just throwing crap on the wall and hoping it sticks. I've tracked them pretty much all offseason, as well as doing my homework on the other teams in the division.

Why I think the Reds can win:

1:A disgusting amount of elite/young talent that only figures to get better in 2009. In Volquez/Cueto/Votto/Bruce/Phillips/Encarnacion you have a core, similiar to the Rays, that has the potential to be special. Not just good. But special.

2: I think will see a bounce-back year from Aaron Harang. This is absolutely critical. If Harang pitches more like he did in '06/'07 (he pitched with an injury most of last year; did finish strong), the Reds will have arguably the best rotation in the division, if not the NL.

3: They have an underrated bullpen. Franciso Cordero is the key. Not that he had a bad year last year, but it certainly wasn't on par with his spectacular 2007. Can he revert back to that? Even if he can't, he's still at worst the second best closer in the division. Ramon Ramirez, Bill Bray, Mike Lincoln, David Weathers, Jared Burton and even Nick Masset, after the Griffey trade, performed well. Arthur Rhodes, who's 100 but still gets the job done, adds even more depth to what I believe it a very underrated group.

4: The rest of the division, well, stinks. Obviously, the Cubs will be favored. But for all the talk about how the Sox have done "nothing to improve," can somebody tell me what the hell the Cubs have done to improve? The Brewers lost Sabathia and Sheets. Yovani Gallardo, despite being super talented, looks to be quite injury prone. I do like Manny Parra. But the rest of that rotation, well, not good. Cardinals? Other than Pujols, not much to get excited about. Astros? Pirates? No and no.

5: Dusty Baker is their manager.

Fine, I'm joking about #5.

Edited by Jordan4life

The Florida Marlins will win the world series.

in a very cicadaesque manner they will win their third wild card and their third world series, 97,03,09 every six years.

Going around the diamond.

C - John Baker, like most catcher he took some time to develop but a very nice waiver pick up from the A's only to be given back to them, the only to return as part of the Eckstien trade. i wouldn't be surprised to see him post this line next year 280/360/400 with a handful of home runs. Hes a nice culmination of contact and obp looks to be a good #2 hitter. I think he hangs around long enough to become skipworth's back up.

1B - Gabby Sanchez, he strikes me as a right handed Mark Grace, his glove is solid and on most teams they would need more power out of their MI but with Hanley, Uggla and Cantu in the infield they can afford to just have a steady bat at 1B. 290/380/450

2B - Dan Uggla, 260/340/500

SS - Hanley Ramirez, The best player in baseball right now hands down. I think this year he joins the elite 40/40 club

3B - Jorge Cantu, Looks to have found a home i think he sticks down in Miami and puts up a line similar to last year.

LF - Jeremy Hermida, Finally stays healthy and puts up numbers similar to his '07

CF - Cameron Maybin, even with his flaws i think he wont be making a trek back down to the minros 260/330/430

RF - Cody Ross, keeping in line with his career #'s or maybe even puts up a career year.

Their team reminds me alot of the white sox, lots of power and strike outs and porous defense.

Hopefully their rotation stays healthy because they've got a ton of potential

Rotation:

1. RHP Ricky Nolasco

2. RHP Josh Johnson

3. RHP Chris Volstad

4. RHP Anibal Sanchez

5. LHP Andrew Miller

Bull Pen:

RHP Matt Lindstrom

RHP Leo Nunez

RHP Scott Proctor

RHP Logan Kensing

LHP Renyel Pinto

RHP Jose Ceda

LHP Zach Kroenke

the cubs will win the world series....they will cake walk through that joke of a division and i think theyll finally break through in the playoffs...that hurts me to say, and believe me, ill take great pleasure if it doesnt happen, but with the money they spend and the way the NL has been lately, its gonna happen sooner than later IMO

Seattle will have the biggest bounceback of any team in 2009.

Why?

1 - They play in a weak division. The Angels won't win over 100 games again this season, while the Rangers still have no good pitching and the A's are average.

2 - Erik Bedard is in a contract year. I expect him to pitch well and stay healthy (although that's a lot to ask).

3 - They're moving Morrow into the rotation. Pitching him in Safeco, he could put up an ERA under 4.

4 - Carlos Silva can't be as bad as he was in 2008. Or at least I would hope so.

5 - Branyan and Sheldon should be an upgrade on what Richie Sexson produced last season at 1st base.

6 - They'll sign an OF to replace Ibanez in LF. Griffey Jr. or Garret Anderson I would say.

I'm putting them down for 75 wins in 2009, up from 61 in 2008.

QUOTE (beautox @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 12:38 AM)
The Florida Marlins will win the world series.

in a very cicadaesque manner they will win their third wild card and their third world series, 97,03,09 every six years.

Going around the diamond.

C - John Baker, like most catcher he took some time to develop but a very nice waiver pick up from the A's only to be given back to them, the only to return as part of the Eckstien trade. i wouldn't be surprised to see him post this line next year 280/360/400 with a handful of home runs. Hes a nice culmination of contact and obp looks to be a good #2 hitter. I think he hangs around long enough to become skipworth's back up.

1B - Gabby Sanchez, he strikes me as a right handed Mark Grace, his glove is solid and on most teams they would need more power out of their MI but with Hanley, Uggla and Cantu in the infield they can afford to just have a steady bat at 1B. 290/380/450

2B - Dan Uggla, 260/340/500

SS - Hanley Ramirez, The best player in baseball right now hands down. I think this year he joins the elite 40/40 club

3B - Jorge Cantu, Looks to have found a home i think he sticks down in Miami and puts up a line similar to last year.

LF - Jeremy Hermida, Finally stays healthy and puts up numbers similar to his '07

CF - Cameron Maybin, even with his flaws i think he wont be making a trek back down to the minros 260/330/430

RF - Cody Ross, keeping in line with his career #'s or maybe even puts up a career year.

Their team reminds me alot of the white sox, lots of power and strike outs and porous defense.

Hopefully their rotation stays healthy because they've got a ton of potential

Rotation:

1. RHP Ricky Nolasco

2. RHP Josh Johnson

3. RHP Chris Volstad

4. RHP Anibal Sanchez

5. LHP Andrew Miller

Bull Pen:

RHP Matt Lindstrom

RHP Leo Nunez

RHP Scott Proctor

RHP Logan Kensing

LHP Renyel Pinto

RHP Jose Ceda

LHP Zach Kroenke

I like the way you think. I could actually see Florida challenging for the division crown. Nolasco/Johnson was as good as any 1-2 punch in the NL down the stretch last year. Throw in Volstad, and you have a potential dynamite 1-2-3 heading their rotation. This is going to be a really fun team to watch.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 14, 2009 -> 03:15 PM)
I like the way you think. I could actually see Florida challenging for the division crown. Nolasco/Johnson was as good as any 1-2 punch in the NL down the stretch last year. Throw in Volstad, and you have a potential dynamite 1-2-3 heading their rotation. This is going to be a really fun team to watch.

Well it is Florida's turn. 1997, 2003. 2009 would make it another 6 year gap.

Bold predictions:

Barry Bonds will play with some team this year.

A's trade Matt Holiday and pick up a lot prospects, not that bold but I'm certain it'll happen.

BOTH the Phillies and Mets will not make the playoffs. Florida or Atlanta will win the NL East

Not sure if this is bold, but the Giants will be in serious contention for the NL West

The Royals will finish in the top 3 in the AL Central.

The Rays will NOT make the playoffs, Yankees will win the AL East. (Probably not that bold.)

The Reds will make some serious noise in the NL Central, maybe not win it but be close in September.

Angels win by 20 games in the AL West. (I had to put something down other than trading Holliday for the AL West.)

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Feb 14, 2009 -> 08:59 PM)
Matt Holliday doesn't even hit .275.

The Cubs trade everything they have for Roy Halladay after the Blue Jays are done at the ASB and Harden goes down for the year.

Like major league players? They dont have crap in the minors, especially not enough for Halladay.

Edit: I know its a bold statement, but that trade is impossible unless the Cubs trade away major pieces for prospects and flip them or trade those major pieces to TOR.

Edited by bigruss22

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 14, 2009 -> 07:17 PM)
Like major league players? They dont have crap in the minors, especially not enough for Halladay.

Edit: I know its a bold statement, but that trade is impossible unless the Cubs trade away major pieces for prospects and flip them or trade those major pieces to TOR.

White Sox win the AL Central but fall to the Yanks in the playoffs

Oakland wins the west

Cubs land Peavy by May

Giants win NL West

Yanks over Mets in WS 4-1.