Get Pods in here again!  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Sox Sign Pods?

• Yes, and start him in center
    • Yes, good depth.
    • OMG No all he does is strike out
    • Results

He was released today.

He looked good in Spring Training... including against us. He had a .381 OBP.

I know he's not exactly Torii Hunter in CF (or even remotely so), but it's time to re-marry the ex, so to speak. Many will be against me in this, but I ask you... for leading off for the White Sox, do you prefer Pods or Wise?

Easy answer in my book.

Edited by Steve9347

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's healthy, I'm down. I don't even care about stealing bases. He's perfect for what Ozzie and KW state they want in a leadoff hitter. Sees a lot of pitches, gets on base first, and uses his speed second. I know he's no Grady Sizemore and his defense will need help, but at the same time, I think Wise and Owens when he is called up will provide nothing.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 02:39 PM)
If he's healthy, I'm down. I don't even care about stealing bases. He's perfect for what Ozzie and KW state they want in a leadoff hitter. Sees a lot of pitches, gets on base first, and uses his speed second. I know he's no Grady Sizemore and his defense will need help, but at the same time, I think Wise and Owens when he is called up will provide nothing.

i would like to bring him back. its not going to happen though. wise will the starter bcuz they told him already and ba is the back up. maybe if wise blows after a month, then they might take a flier. but not yet i dont think.

pods>>>>wise

bring him back :)

384503950_beb1a9e019.jpg

He is better than Wise, but he is NOT the solution.

He'd be worse defensively in CF, and for Ozzie Guillen, that's a big no-no.

Reggie Willits or Gregor Blanco provide a much better option if you're looking for an upgrade that you wouldn't have to give up a big time prospect for.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)
Maybe so but in reality who is hte better MLB player?

Well, I look at this two ways. 1, we get a good, not great, upgrade at the leadoff hitter.

On the other hand, we also get an outfielder who might actually be worse than Wise in centerfield.

No way about it for me, the only solution for the problem is sticking BA in center and Getz at leadoff. defense up the middle is far too important, and Wise just isnt in the picture when it comes to centerfield defense.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 03:25 PM)
He is better than Wise, but he is NOT the solution.

He'd be worse defensively in CF, and for Ozzie Guillen, that's a big no-no.

Reggie Willits or Gregor Blanco provide a much better option if you're looking for an upgrade that you wouldn't have to give up a big time prospect for.

You cannot say that with a straight face that you think ozzie believes that.

Also, i think it is just about time to give up on blanco, he is not going anywhere in the immediate future, nothing really suggests that much.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 04:31 PM)
I dont hate him, i want him to do well in the role he is on the team for, a bench utility outfielder.

Well I was using hate in the 'hate to see him anywhere near our team playing baseball' way. I can't imagine anybody here has anything against dweezy personally.

I'm more surprised how vehement the sentiment is.

Put me down for HELL NO.

Ugh.

Just in case anyone in power reads this board, we shouldn't be giving them anymore bad ideas. They've got enough of their own. Just let Wise fail like nearly every single fan in baseball knows he's going to and then hope to God that Ozzie finally wakes the f*** up and puts BA out there. If not, then pray we acquire an actual centerfielder to replace Wise, not another left fielder.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 03:25 PM)

+1

I still have faith in Reggie, so far this spring .278/.395/.361 in 36ABs as for Blanco .174/.269/.304 in 23 AB this spring

obviously small sample sizes but over their careers thus far

Willits .273/.379/.319 good for a 698 OPS in 583 career ABs

Blanco .251/.366/.309 good for a 675 OPS in 430 career ABs

Blanco is two years younger i think both are significantly better than wise and his line of .214/.254/.385 OPS of 639 but as wise said

"I guess they’re looking at previous years, or previous times where I was put out there on this level,’’ Wise said. "You know, 2000 or 2002, where they’re just looking on the back of my baseball card. It’s 2009 now, it’s not 2000, and I could care less what negativity people want to throw my way. I feel like I’m ready.

I'll be quite honest i think his readiness level should easily add another 111 points of OPS to put him at a solid .750 but thats just ones observers opinion.

KW go get Willits if he performs at his career line he'll make a fine 4th OF but because of his average, and OBP, propensity for stealing bases, bunting, grinding it out etc and overall being white, he'll suffice for now in CF, also hes at least average out there defensively.

Mr. Link your plane is now boarding for LA.

All of you guys are crazy, crazy, crazy.

I wouldn't even take the 2006 version of Pods over Wise as part of a platoon with BA.

1) He would be a horrific CFer, worse than Wise, Swisher, Griffey, Mackowiak or Brian Daubach out there

2) He makes Juan Pierre look like Roberto Clemente with his linguine with clam sauce arm

3) All the speed and aggressiveness he had in the first half of 2005, it disappeared when he came back from that injury

4) He has barely more power than Jerry Owens (Colorado stats aren't the most helpful for comparisons)

5) His SB success rate would be about 55-70%, he's nowhere close to the type of player who could manage even 75-85%

6) If they want him as a backup to backup Jerry Owens as Option 4D in CF, fine...sign him to a minor league deal, stick him in Charlotte and hope for a miracle, but that likelihood is as high as Erstad accumulating 255 hits for us in 2009

I have been talking about the "break-even" point to play Brian Anderson everyday at CF instead of platoon with Wise to be a 740 OPS.

If Pods was the starting CF, he would have to get on base at a .350-.375 clip to even be worth consideration for discussion, and that's not going to happen. That and the fact that he's lost his aggressiveness and intimidation factor on the basepaths, it's just a horrible idea.

Seriously, Joe Borchard starting in CF is starting to make more sense than this, or Jeffrey Abbott.

We should spin Betemit and prospect/s to the Cardinals for Ankiel/Schumaker/Ludwick...they need to replace Glaus for 2-3 months.

Edited by caulfield12