Draft Profile - Jabari Blash - OF

Chisoxfn

Baseball America had a recent write-up on him (see link below) as a guy that is flying up the draft boards and is now widely regarded as a top 5 round selection, although if you look through the blogs and get various quotes from scouts, it seems very plausible that he could go as late as the 10th round. Scouts describe him as a "tools shed" and he's a guy I would bet money on the Sox targeting with one of there selections. He didn't start initially this year for his Miama Dade JC squad but has since exploded onto the scene with 10hr's in 99 at bats. The guy has massive power potential, a great frame, andone hell of an arm (average to a little above average speed). He's currently 6-5 210 and considered one of the premiere athletes in the draft, however, he's incredibly raw as he's originally from the Virgin Islands and has not played a ton of organized baseball. He missed the 2008 baseball season due to being academically ineligible at Alcorn State and according to baseball america his best skill set is his 70 arm (out of 80 on the scout scale). Oh and I had mentioned that Blash would be a pretty good lock as a guy the Sox looked at and thats because they had previously targeted and drafted him two years ago out of high school in the 29th round of the draft.

Below is an interesting quote:

Blash has length and uppercut to his swing which opens up a lot of holes.  But he’s getting early attention as scouts dream upon the upside of the freshman from the Virgin Islands.  I can see him going in the first ten rounds, maybe 6th-10th.

Baseball America article about him:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft...009/268094.html

Interesting. I remember when we drafted him two years ago. Can't really forget a name like his. I'd have no problem taking him in round 4, 5, or 6. Needs a good amount of work, but you can't teach the amount of potential he seems to have.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 14, 2009 -> 04:57 PM)
Interesting. I remember when we drafted him two years ago. Can't really forget a name like his. I'd have no problem taking him in round 4, 5, or 6. Needs a good amount of work, but you can't teach the amount of potential he seems to have.

I should point out that I'm almost certain that he's over-hyped. But a strong arm and power potential makes him a solid fit in those type of rounds. However, there might be some other guys available that slide due to signability issues that could potentially be better picks. As a whole though, he at least has a unique set of tools to where he could develop into the prototypical corner outfielder.