Tim Tebow to appear in anti-abortion Super Bowl ad

Balta1701

I'm sick of arguing over the budget and HCR, so I figured...let's throw some gasoline on those old, smoldering embers over there and see what happens.

Tim Tebow is taking his star power to sport’s biggest stage.

The former Florida quarterback and his mother will appear in a 30-second commercial during the Super Bowl next month. The Christian group Focus on the Family says the Tebows will share a personal story centering on the theme “Celebrate Family, Celebrate Life.”

The group isn’t releasing details, but the commercial is likely to be an anti-abortion message chronicling Pam Tebow’s 1987 pregnancy. After getting sick during a mission trip to the Philippines, she ignored a recommendation by doctors to abort her fifth child and gave birth to Tim.

The 2007 Heisman Trophy winner ended his college career with several NCAA, Southeastern Conference and school records, and two national championships. Tebow also has been very involved in his family’s Christian-based ministry.

Jim Daly, president and CEO of Focus on the Family, said the commercial comes at a time when “families need to be inspired.”

“Tim and Pam share our respect for life and our passion for helping families thrive,” Daly said. “Focus on the Family is about … strengthening families by empowering them with the tools they need to live lives rooted in morals and values.”

So, Tim Tebow is going to go on during the Super Bowl and give an anti-abortion lecture, sponsored by Focus on the Family. Comments?

A few I'd like to make...CBS is of course running the Super Bowl this year, and will seemingly be running this ad. They're the same network that refused to run one of Moveon.org's anti-Bush ads a few years ago, on the grounds that they weren't going to run "Issue advocacy" advertising.

It's also fun to note that Focus on the Family was cutting staff last year and spending money on Super Bowl ads.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 09:13 AM)
Thumbs up to Tebow

How the heck is that an appropriate setting for pushing one's religious and political views?

EDIT: And how funny that you objectify women AND want to tell them what to do with their bodies. You're one step closer to being a member of the Taliban.

Edited by BigSqwert

Let's also be clear about what FOTF's message here is.

Tebow's mother's doctor said it was medically inadvisable for her to carry the pregnancy to term. Let's say that the case was a mother being told that there was say a 25% chance of everything going right and a 75% chance of serious, perhaps life-threatening complications. Probably just guessing on the numbers but presumably not that far off.

She chose to carry through the pregnancy, had a child, and that child is now a famous athlete.

Therefore, because this situation worked correctly, everyone should be forced to make the same choice by banning abortion, or at the very least, more people should be willing to gamble against a doctor's advice.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 09:14 AM)
And how funny that you objectify women AND want to tell them what to do with their bodies. You're one step closer to being a member of the Taliban.

I'm going down that road at this time. There is a difference between enjoying what a person looks like and what they're "rights" are.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 09:19 AM)
I'm going down that road at this time. There is a difference between enjoying what a person looks like and what they're "rights" are.

You can enjoy how someone looks without posting half naked pictures of them on the Internet. I'm sure you'd be somewhat offended if I posted pics of your daughter in a bikini simply because I enjoy how she looks.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 09:14 AM)
How the heck is that an appropriate setting for pushing one's religious and political views?

EDIT: And how funny that you objectify women AND want to tell them what to do with their bodies. You're one step closer to being a member of the Taliban.

First of all this commercial is going to get zero attention as it will be squeezed in between Danica Patrick and 3 other chicks in leather talking about how Godaddy.com got them enhanced and some comedic animated animals doing a dance for some other vendor's commercial. Secondly, appropriate. Again its the superbowl. There is no such thing as appropriate and commercials at the superbowl. For my personal views. I think its a waste of money. The money would be better off if Tim Tebow donated it to either a charity or to an organization that promoted adoption.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 09:26 AM)
So they will run a commercial by extreme right wing homophobic group Focus on the Family, but PETA can't run an ad promoting the benefits of eating vegetables.

Peta's adds are either some naked chick holding a sign that says I don't wear fur which can't be shown on regular tv for obvious reasons or the always fun chicken farm overlay with a concentration camp. Its not just an ad that has dancing vegetables. If Peta had a normalized ad it could be shown on TV, but that doesn't work for them.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 09:34 AM)
Peta's adds are either some naked chick holding a sign that says I don't wear fur which can't be shown on regular tv for obvious reasons or the always fun chicken farm overlay with a concentration camp. Its not just an ad that has dancing vegetables. If Peta had a normalized ad it could be shown on TV, but that doesn't work for them.

If FotF went as "far right" as PETA goes "far left", they would show an actual abortion taking place... and you know what? CBS would reject it too.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 09:36 AM)
If FotF went as "far right" as PETA goes "far left", they would show an actual abortion taking place... and you know what? CBS would reject it too.

Focus on the Family founder James Dobson called gays "An Abomination". He also believes homosexuality should be outlawed. That is as right wing as you get and CBS is giving him a giant stage.

Edited by GoSox05

What's the point? Famous (oft-crying) quarterback tells people not to get an abortion? Oh yeah, that will work. I mean, I for one always base intimate decisions on famous college athletes.

GMAFB, views on abortion aren't going to be changed by this. What a waste of 30 seconds of my life and millions of dollars.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 09:52 AM)
What's the point? Famous (oft-crying) quarterback tells people not to get an abortion? Oh yeah, that will work. I mean, I for one always base intimate decisions on famous college athletes.

GMAFB, views on abortion aren't going to be changed by this. What a waste of 30 seconds of my life and millions of dollars.

:notworthy

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 09:40 AM)
Focus on the Family founder James Dobson called gays "An Abomination". He also believes homosexuality should be outlawed. That is as right wing as you get and CBS is giving him a giant stage.

But he's not giving a anti-gay message in the ad.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 11:56 AM)

But it's giving implicit support of his views.

It's like saying, oh hey let's let the Hitler Foundation make a commercial about the clean air act.

Um, no.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 09:56 AM)

So you'd be cool if an charitable organization run by the Westboro Church ran an ad during the super bowl to promote organic foods?

EDIT: Forgot who I was responding to. You probably would be cool with that based on views you've stated in the past.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Soxy @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 09:52 AM)

And Soxy for the win. If he took the money that is wasted on this and donated it to the Haitian relief fund or helped out the orphans down there with their adoption process he would get all of the self promoting pub he wanted and still did something tangible with the money.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 09:59 AM)
So you'd be cool if an charitable organization run by the Westboro Church ran an ad during the super bowl to promote organic foods?

EDIT: Forgot who I was responding to. You probably would be cool with that based on views you've stated in the past.

absolutely. I dont have to agree with everything an organization believes.