Can Rios be sent down?

Lemon_44

Does Rios's contract allow him to be sent down the minors? If so, I would do it. I know he's making a ton of money but you have to pay him anyway. Why not pay him to play in the minors, and I mean A ball, not Charlotte. At least that way he isn't killing the big league club and maybe, just maybe, but doubtful, he'll get a dose of reality and realize how good he has it at the ML level and get some focus. I seem to remember a team within the past couple years doing that to a player. It may have been a pitcher. Right now they are paying him to hurt the Sox, pay him to hurt Bristol. Like someone mentioned in another thread, Rios is worse than Brian Anderson was. If the Sox are going to let contarct size dictate who plays, then they deserve the 4th place finish they are heading toward. If Detriot can DFA a long time favorite like Inge, the Sox can DFA a bum like Rios. Inge was making good money, not Rios money, but 5.5 mill is still pretty good.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)
No, he cannot be sent down. You would have to designate him for assignment, which means paying out his entire remaining $43 million immediately and allowing him to become a free agent.

Oh well, so much for that idea.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 12:53 PM)
Does Rios's contract allow him to be sent down the minors? If so, I would do it. I know he's making a ton of money but you have to pay him anyway. Why not pay him to play in the minors, and I mean A ball, not Charlotte. At least that way he isn't killing the big league club and maybe, just maybe, but doubtful, he'll get a dose of reality and realize how good he has it at the ML level and get some focus. I seem to remember a team within the past couple years doing that to a player. It may have been a pitcher. Right now they are paying him to hurt the Sox, pay him to hurt Bristol. Like someone mentioned in another thread, Rios is worse than Brian Anderson was. If the Sox are going to let contarct size dictate who plays, then they deserve the 4th place finish they are heading toward. If Detriot can DFA a long time favorite like Inge, the Sox can DFA a bum like Rios. Inge was making good money, not Rios money, but 5.5 mill is still pretty good.

Same as Dunn... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 05:53 PM)

I enjoyed your post, Chet.

Sending him to A ball made me smile on another 110 degree day in KC area.

I like your venom. Finally somebody hates Alex more than I do.

DeAza or Viciedo should come up and Rios should at least sit, if he can't be sent down. Solutions? Teahen gets cut. Vizquel gets cut. Lillibridge gets sent down. Peavey goes on the dl. This is the big leagues boys some one has got to go and if not Rios then who? The guy leads a charmed life but he must be taken out of the lineup, and some one has to go to make roster room. Maybe Morel with Omar back at third, maybe Sale can go down to work on starting,Bruney? There are options. Poke holes in them all and no change is made.

Once a player has so much big league service time, he cannot be sent to minors without his permission. Same thing as DFA, and Sox owe balance of contract, which is okay by me. Then, maybe Jerry R would have the ovaries to go public with what he really thinks of Kenny. Might as well do it with both Rios and Dunn, have a big party. At least if you cut Dunn, you don't have to feed him anymore. That laughing sound you hear is from the Toronto front office. Maybe a giggle or two from Wahington's front office, because they got a #1 draft pick out of it. Don't know about Dunn's agent.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 10:10 AM)
Once a player has so much big league service time, he cannot be sent to minors without his permission. Same thing as DFA, and Sox owe balance of contract, which is okay by me. Then, maybe Jerry R would have the ovaries to go public with what he really thinks of Kenny. Might as well do it with both Rios and Dunn, have a big party. At least if you cut Dunn, you don't have to feed him anymore. That laughing sound you hear is from the Toronto front office. Maybe a giggle or two from Wahington's front office, because they got a #1 draft pick out of it. Don't know about Dunn's agent.

That other laughing sound is the entire league(save the Yankees) laughing at your idea of just DFA-ing Rios and eating the contract.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 10:18 AM)
That other laughing sound is the entire league(save the Yankees) laughing at your idea of just DFA-ing Rios and eating the contract.

Yep. I have asked this a few times, and I am guessing by the lack of responses that it never has been done on this level, but what the biggest contract a team has ate completely like this?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 10:18 AM)

They are laughing just as hard. More often though the head cases leave their garbage at the door in NY.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)

No, they're laughing at the thought of White Sox stuck with playing Rios every day for the next 3++ seasons and NOT eating his contract.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)
Yep. I have asked this a few times, and I am guessing by the lack of responses that it never has been done on this level, but what the biggest contract a team has ate completely like this?

My guess without looking it up would be Kevin Brown of Yankees.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 10:45 AM)

Kei Igawa has to be up there, although technically not eaten. He is being paid $20 million over 5 years and his posting fee was $26 million. He is pitching in AAA and the Yankees have told him for a few years there is no way they will call him up, even tried to trade him back to Japan a couple of times and he refused, so for 16 pitiful outings, they shelled out $46 million.

The current record for most money eaten by a team by releasing a contract is $33 million, which the Diamondbacks swallowed when they released pitcher Russ Ortiz in June of 2006.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 09:46 PM)
I enjoyed your post, Chet.

Sending him to A ball made me smile on another 110 degree day in KC area.

I like your venom. Finally somebody hates Alex more than I do.

Still think im the ultimate hater ... lazy and doesn't give a sh*t ... K Dubya's worst move ever, worse than Dunn

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 04:37 PM)
Kei Igawa has to be up there, although technically not eaten. He is being paid $20 million over 5 years and his posting fee was $26 million. He is pitching in AAA and the Yankees have told him for a few years there is no way they will call him up, even tried to trade him back to Japan a couple of times and he refused, so for 16 pitiful outings, they shelled out $46 million.

The current record for most money eaten by a team by releasing a contract is $33 million, which the Diamondbacks swallowed when they released pitcher Russ Ortiz in June of 2006.

I completely forgot about Kei Igawa. What a name drop.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 04:21 PM)
No, they're laughing at the thought of White Sox stuck with playing Rios every day for the next 3++ seasons and NOT eating his contract.

I remember the ratioanale on why we got him. It was to prevent the tigers from adding him. I wish we let Detroit acquire him. Then he would have been their boon or bust.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 09:39 PM)
I remember the ratioanale on why we got him. It was to prevent the tigers from adding him. I wish we let Detroit acquire him. Then he would have been their boon or bust.

Does anyone remember the diminshing skills clause in Frank Thomas's contract which somehow got voided? I believe owners weren't allowed to use that clause after that.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 10:40 AM)
Does anyone remember the diminshing skills clause in Frank Thomas's contract which somehow got voided? I believe owners weren't allowed to use that clause after that.

They can use it still, just no player would ever agree to it now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 03:37 PM)

Kudos, Dick Allen. Good info.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 04:37 PM)

Thanks for that. The sad part is that it means Rios isn't going anywhere.