Kevin Youkilis for Matt Thornton?

justBLAZE

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supposedly Youk is getting benched when he comes back. I would think the White Sox would have to assume the extra cash which gets Boston a little farther away from luxury tax territory. They might bite. I just don't see the White Sox taking on salary although he would most likely be a huge upgrade for the offense, and the Sox are a little heavy in LH relievers.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:01 PM)
Supposedly Youk is getting benched when he comes back. I would think the White Sox would have to assume the extra cash which gets Boston a little farther away from luxury tax territory. They might bite. I just don't see the White Sox taking on salary although he would most likely be a huge upgrade for the offense, and the Sox are a little heavy in LH relievers.

The only way guys get moved now is if Kenny gets blown away with an offer. This isn't it.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 9, 2012 -> 04:59 PM)
It's also Rogers, I asked him politely if he has a source to this rumor, but that guy never writes back.

Yep no reply. That is because it is just idle speculation on the part of a sports writer wanting to manage something other than fantasy baseball teams. However, with the idea of trading Thornton for a player batting around .200 and I think still on the D/L you wonder how well Phil's fantasy teams perform?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:03 PM)
Yep no reply. That is because it is just idle speculation on the part of a sports writer wanting to manage something other than fantasy baseball teams. However, with the idea of trading Thornton for a player batting around .200 and I think still on the D/L you wonder how well Phil's fantasy teams perform?

Please god tell me you're not saying this would be a bad trade for the White Sox?

QUOTE (flavum @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:01 PM)
Is he just throwing this out there as his idea, or is this an actual rumor with possibly different players involved?

I think just idea, right after he said Cubs could use him and Dempster is a fit and that Youk is a Theo guy but doesn't really fit.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:02 PM)
I added a line of clarification to the thread title so that people wouldn't freak out.

Thank you.

It's not a horrible idea. Youk and Valentine aren't meshing. Thornton is probably the most tradable piece right now. Their salaries mostly match up. Youk is owed $12 million this year and an option of $13 million (which the Sox would probably decline), he may not be hitting now, but he knows how to work a count, which our current players other than Dunn and Konerko don't. He would be an upgrade over Morel RIGHT NOW. And the White Sox are still close enough to be considered in contention.

As long as the White Sox check him out and see if he's truly healthy, why the hell not?

Now, if the Red Sox won't make the trade, never mind. But, if I'm Kenny...I'm making the call.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:01 PM)
Supposedly Youk is getting benched when he comes back.

Why do you make things up?

Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said Kevin Youkilis (back) will retain his job as the starting third baseman when he's healthy, despite the strong start for Middlebrooks (hamstring), the Boston Globe reports.

Well now I dont feel so stupid for mentioning this a few days ago. If Middlebrooks is there to stay then it makes a ton of sense, the coach already talked crap about the guy and if they plan on benching him?? thats gonna be a big mess in boston....I mentioned Youk before the Sale move with both Gavin and Matt going there way, I wouldnt do that now but if its Matt+ then get er done!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:13 PM)
Why do you make things up?

Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said Kevin Youkilis (back) will retain his job as the starting third baseman when he's healthy, despite the strong start for Middlebrooks (hamstring), the Boston Globe reports.

From the same aritlce I think: That's what Cherington should have said, what Sox players would have expected him to say -- according Youkilis the respect he deserves. But that doesn't mean Youkilis remains in a Sox uniform for the rest of the season. A trade of Youkilis this season is inevitable, and quite possibly sooner than later.

Why the Boston Red Sox should trade Kevin Youkillis.

Edited by justBLAZE

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:12 PM)
It's not a horrible idea. Youk and Valentine aren't meshing. Thornton is probably the most tradable piece right now. Their salaries mostly match up. Youk is owed $12 million this year and an option of $13 million (which the Sox would probably decline), he may not be hitting now, but he knows how to work a count, which our current players other than Dunn and Konerko don't. He would be an upgrade over Morel RIGHT NOW. And the White Sox are still close enough to be considered in contention.

As long as the White Sox check him out and see if he's truly healthy, why the hell not?

Now, if the Red Sox won't make the trade, never mind. But, if I'm Kenny...I'm making the call.

This is exactly why this is fantasy. The salary differences are $6 million this year and $7 million next year. The White Sox are not adding dollars.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2012 -> 12:17 PM)
This is exactly why this is fantasy. The salary differences are $6 million this year and $7 million next year. The White Sox are not adding dollars.

It would still be a good trade for the White Sox, in my opinion.