FutureSox Top Prospects, 2013 Pre-Season

NorthSideSox72

What I find both fascinating and uplifting is that we only have three players in the Future Sox top 25 that were signed out of Latin America by us. I know you guys didn't release the top 10 yet, but I'm guessing Sanchez & Rienzo are the only guys who would qualify and throw in Olacio and that's all what we got to show for home-grown Latin American prospects.

That's 12% of our top 25 prospects coming from one our primary sources of talent. I can guarantee that percentage is amongst the lowest in baseball and just goes to show how disadvantaged we've been since the Wilder fiasco.

The good news is the addition of Paddy, the allocation of more resources, and the overall rule changes will change that. It will likely be three to four years before Paddy's first signing class truly make a serious impact on these type of lists, but hopefully we'll see incremental gains each year, with prospects like Sanchez popping out of nowhere more frequently.

The first major signing for Paddy and his staff was Luis Martinez, a Venezuelan righthander who landed a $250,000 bonus in December. Martinez, a 17-year-old from Carupano who trained with Luis Blasini, is 6-foot-4, 195 pounds and physically reminiscent of former Dodgers righthander Ramon Martinez. After throwing 84-88 mph around July 2, he improved his velocity over the winter and now throws downhill with an 88-91 mph fastball that has hit 92. He has a big frame with long arms and plenty of room to fill out, so he should throw harder eventually. His high-70s curveball is his best secondary pitch but he'll mix in a changeup too. Martinez is expected to make his pro debut this year in the Rookie-level Arizona League.

What Happen to this Pitcher???? Signed in 2011?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 12:56 PM)
None of them played in the states, but that is normal. They don't usually come to the US until 18 or 19.

QUOTE (Jim Busby @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 02:49 PM)
The first major signing for Paddy and his staff was Luis Martinez, a Venezuelan righthander who landed a $250,000 bonus in December. Martinez, a 17-year-old from Carupano who trained with Luis Blasini, is 6-foot-4, 195 pounds and physically reminiscent of former Dodgers righthander Ramon Martinez. After throwing 84-88 mph around July 2, he improved his velocity over the winter and now throws downhill with an 88-91 mph fastball that has hit 92. He has a big frame with long arms and plenty of room to fill out, so he should throw harder eventually. His high-70s curveball is his best secondary pitch but he'll mix in a changeup too. Martinez is expected to make his pro debut this year in the Rookie-level Arizona League.

What Happen to this Pitcher???? Signed in 2011?

If his only play so far has been in the Arizona development league, then his stats won't really show up anywhere yet. As an 18 year old this season, he might show up at one of the rookie affiliates, or possibly in the DSL. I haven't heard anything about his showing yet.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 02:00 PM)
Nice list and insights. I agree with the evaluation of Kevan Smith. I was happy when we got him in the draft and I think he'll be playing at the Cell sooner than later.

It really feels like we have put some high level catching celings into the system over the last couple of drafts in Smith and Ayala.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 02:00 PM)
Nice list and insights. I agree with the evaluation of Kevan Smith. I was happy when we got him in the draft and I think he'll be playing at the Cell sooner than later.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 02:05 PM)
It really feels like we have put some high level catching celings into the system over the last couple of drafts in Smith and Ayala.

I like Smith, but at 25 years old, he needs to hit in AA at least, before I start thinking about him being a likely catcher of the future. Hopefully he does that, and I think he can. The way they've been moving him up, he may very well start in B-Ham, and if hits well, go to AAA Charlotte midseason. Phegley needs to watch his back.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 01:17 PM)
What I find both fascinating and uplifting is that we only have three players in the Future Sox top 25 that were signed out of Latin America by us. I know you guys didn't release the top 10 yet, but I'm guessing Sanchez & Rienzo are the only guys who would qualify and throw in Olacio and that's all what we got to show for home-grown Latin American prospects.

That's 12% of our top 25 prospects coming from one our primary sources of talent. I can guarantee that percentage is amongst the lowest in baseball and just goes to show how disadvantaged we've been since the Wilder fiasco.

The good news is the addition of Paddy, the allocation of more resources, and the overall rule changes will change that. It will likely be three to four years before Paddy's first signing class truly make a serious impact on these type of lists, but hopefully we'll see incremental gains each year, with prospects like Sanchez popping out of nowhere more frequently.

Molina and Santos Rodriguez have to be in the discussion, somewhere.

Miguel Gonzalez made at least two Top 10 lists.

Then you throw in Viciedo and Ramirez. But yeah, the lack of players from Dominican is the sore spot. I think you have to go all the way back to Jesus Pena.

Paddy seems to be more concentrating in/on Venezuela in terms of his area of expertise.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 07:30 PM)
Molina and Santos Rodriguez have to be in the discussion, somewhere.

Miguel Gonzalez made at least two Top 10 lists.

Then you throw in Viciedo and Ramirez. But yeah, the lack of players from Dominican is the sore spot. I think you have to go all the way back to Jesus Pena.

Paddy seems to be more concentrating in/on Venezuela in terms of his area of expertise.

He said "by us". Molina at S-Rod were not signed by us.

Also, what Top 10 lists had Miguel Gonzalez on them? I'd be surprised if his name was even on anyone's 25 at this point.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 08:38 PM)
He said "by us". Molina at S-Rod were not signed by us.

Also, what Top 10 lists had Miguel Gonzalez on them? I'd be surprised if his name was even on anyone's 25 at this point.

I meant 2-3 seasons ago for Gonzalez, well, it doesn't matter, he's been a bust compared to expectations.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 12:31 PM)
Yeah, I was high on him at the beginning of last season, but I was very underwhelmed with him in the 2nd half. I think he should be more like #9 or #10.

As noted in the write-up on Castro, opinions vary a lot. Thing is though, we've gotten indications his 2nd half performance wasn't just plain old not pitching well. He had some nagging issues, and got tired out due to some mechanical issues. I think you'll see him improve a lot in 2013.

Walker screams trade bait to me.

The kind of trade where he gets called up to the big leagues on another team because that team lacks depth, performs admirably for a bit and Soxtalk FREAKS THE f*** OUT. haha

Hawkins, Thompson, and Mitchell are better OF prospects with higher ceilings I think...

I think Mitchell is the one who screams trade bait. He is a player whose value coming out of college was his speed. He tore his achilles and has slowly been making his way back from that, but there's questions as to whether or not he'll ever fully make it. He isn't a real powerful prospect, so you could legitimately be looking at a backup player in the big leagues with an outside shot at starting. When looking at his overall package, I just don't see a lot of value there for the MLB.

The thing is, I still really like Mitchell, but there's a reason he's 11th on this list and he's fallen out of the top 10, and it's not just because of his age. Trayce Thompson is a legitimate CF prospect with LTP (for comparisons, we're looking likely MLB comp is Drew Stubbs, best case is Giancarlo Stanton), Courtney Hawkins is a legit CF prospect with an incredible all around game who could make the majors as early as next year. He's likely to end up in RF, but with comparisons to Matt Kemp and Justin Upton, I'd take that. And then you're looking at Keenyn Walker who, while I agree is still very hit or miss, I think compares well to guys like Austin Jackson and Coco Crisp statistically.

I just think, given everything you see about him, Mitchell is going to have the hardest time breaking through and making a real impact. I also think that's why you see his name being mentioned like it is for him to be due for a break through. Perhaps he is and he'll be extremely valuable for the Sox, but I just don't see it.

Hawkins would have to hit .500 with 40 bombs by June or something ridiculous for this to happen, but it would be awesome to see an outfield of Mitchell, Thompson, and Hawkins in Charlotte next year. Cause I like that OF, especially defensively. Mitchell and Thompson in Charlotte in 2013 is more reasonable...

QUOTE (Cali @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)
Hawkins would have to hit .500 with 40 bombs by June or something ridiculous for this to happen, but it would be awesome to see an outfield of Mitchell, Thompson, and Hawkins in Charlotte next year. Cause I like that OF, especially defensively. Mitchell and Thompson in Charlotte in 2013 is more reasonable...

I don't think that's crazy at all.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 01:53 PM)
I don't think that's crazy at all.

If Hawkins is in Charlotte this year he will have had an amazing season... He'd be on track for a Trout/Harper like early call up in 2014.