Developing hitters

Lemon_44

I was thinking the last position prospect I can remember coming through the Sox system that had an impact, offensively, at the MLB level is Magglio Orodnez. There could be someone I'm forgetting but why is their track record so abysmal at developing guys that can hit, even at an average level, in the big leagues. By sheer numbers alone, you would think a player, or two would emerge but something is not right.

Maybe the Sox should change their approach of rushing these guys through the lower levels and let them develop and mature at their own pace. I don't know what the answer is but it's pretty amazing to go that long without having at least one legitimate hitting prospect make an impact in MLB. I'm trying to think of the next best player the Sox drafted after Magglio and am drawing a blank. Is it Beckham? Because if it is, that's pretty sad.

Edit: Rowand and Crede just popped into my mind but it's still been awhile.

Edited by Lemon_44

It has been a long time but Crede and Rowand were pretty good. Crede realy had just blossomed. He was hitting over .300 with 30 homer gold glove defense when his back gave out in September of 2006.

As far as rushed, I don't know if guys are really all that rushed. If the Sox send guys down like Josh Fields in 2008, Saladino and Sanchez this spring, many here complain. But something is wrong. But hitters leaving the organization going on to others and being really successful also is very rare, so it seems to be talent evaluation. IMO, they draft guys who have a difficult time making contact and can't seem to improve that. We will see what happens with guys like Sanchez and Micah.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 22, 2015 -> 06:13 AM)
It has been a long time but Crede and Rowand were pretty good. Crede realy had just blossomed. He was hitting over .300 with 30 homer gold glove defense when his back gave out in September of 2006.

As far as rushed, I don't know if guys are really all that rushed. If the Sox send guys down like Josh Fields in 2008, Saladino and Sanchez this spring, many here complain. But something is wrong. But hitters leaving the organization going on to others and being really successful also is very rare, so it seems to be talent evaluation.

That's true but the real problem with rushing isn't that they don't produce in the ML when first up - it's that they don't produce in the ML and develop bad habits to try to compensate their weaknesses while not producing.

Johnson was rushed, but he didn't seem to develop bad habits so he should be okay; I think Rodon is being rushed - we'll see; Beckham was rushed.

I think they knew that Semien could hit- just willing to trade him to rent Shark for whatever reason.

And, yes, talent is no doubt the biggest issue.