Abreu and Frazier

AJUribe

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 18, 2016 -> 01:26 PM)
FYI, 70 MPH from 46 feet is the equivalent of 92 MPH from regular distance. You would absolutely kill your pitching staff if you had them throw BP like a game.

This is what I wrote: "While a BP fastball, thrown from a shorter distance, may approximate the reaction time, the speed, at which the pitch is traveling is vastly different. Major League hitters have the bat speed to catch up to high 90's pitches. However, their eyes require some adjustment to pick up the ball, if they have just been looking at pitches traveling 70 miles an hour." Perhaps you missed the point.

Finding guys who could throw fast balls, from the mound, would not be a difficult challenge. I'm sure that there are plenty of failed prospects, who could perform that function.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 12:11 PM)
This is what I wrote: "While a BP fastball, thrown from a shorter distance, may approximate the reaction time, the speed, at which the pitch is traveling is vastly different. Major League hitters have the bat speed to catch up to high 90's pitches. However, their eyes require some adjustment to pick up the ball, if they have just been looking at pitches traveling 70 miles an hour." Perhaps you missed the point.

Finding guys who could throw fast balls, from the mound, would not be a difficult challenge. I'm sure that there are plenty of failed prospects, who could perform that function.

Yes it would be a difficult challenge. An impossible challenge. Every day throwing hundreds of pitches. Plus they would have to be somewhere near the plate. Guys that throw in the 90s with good control usually are on rosters. Failed prospects failed for a reason.