Sox Trade Chips

Dunt

Starting to think about this deadline and think the Sox actually have some pieces that could be useful for other teams that won't really ruin the long term picture. Anyone think that the Miguel Gonzalez and Zach Duke could fetch something useful for the Sox? In Duke, you have a lefty with another year of control that is quietly having an incredible year: 2.41 FIP, 2.88 xFIP, 10.58 K/9, 3.34 BB/9, 1.0 fWAR. Gonzalez probably doesnt net you the same type of return, but with Fulmer going to the rotation next season, you have an extra SP in a market that's incredibly thin. He's a sneaky buy option for a team that could be looking for a middle/ed of the rotation reliable arm. So far he's accrued a 4.06 FIP and 1.2 fWAR. I think the Sox would be smart to try moving them and seeing if they bring anything useful back.

If Shields can string together another 2 good starts I think there's a real possibility we could flip him for more than we gave up.

Am I the only that would gauge interest on Nate Jones too? I know he's young and controlled, but I can't be the only 1 that sees his elbow going again before too long. I wouldn't just trade him for the sake of getting rid of him, but with the # of contenders looking for backend bullpen help he might be able to net us a pretty good prospect.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 01:51 PM)
If Shields can string together another 2 good starts I think there's a real possibility we could flip him for more than we gave up.

Am I the only that would gauge interest on Nate Jones too? I know he's young and controlled, but I can't be the only 1 that sees his elbow going again before too long. I wouldn't just trade him for the sake of getting rid of him, but with the # of contenders looking for backend bullpen help he might be able to net us a pretty good prospect.

Shields is debatable...In a full rebuild, absolutely. But if they are going to just retool and reload to contend in 2017, I might actually keep him because the market to get a SP is off the charts right now. Not saying that Shields would garner much interest, but rather we would be left with a hole that would require some deep pocket investing to fill. Boston just traded "The next Pedro Martinez" level prospect to get Pomeranz. Right now, Shields is at least serviceable and has #3 starter upside. Free agent pickins' are slim this off-season, that means the mediocre SPs are going to be overpriced. Shields is only costing us cash ($11M/year for the next 2 years--which is low for a #3 SP). We got him on a big discount and if he pitches like he has, he can be useful. We can always flip him next year if we tank again.

Jones. I think you hold Jones because of his contract. They signed him at a setup man price, but have a potential closer should they decide to move Robertson. He's an injury risk, but could very well be the closer of the future for us. I think you'll see them keep both of these players for the rest of the season. Just my prediction!

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 02:51 PM)

They covered themselves with an elbow injury. He plays a season for the minimum.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 04:18 PM)
Shields is debatable...In a full rebuild, absolutely. But if they are going to just retool and reload to contend in 2017, I might actually keep him because the market to get a SP is off the charts right now. Not saying that Shields would garner much interest, but rather we would be left with a hole that would require some deep pocket investing to fill. Boston just traded "The next Pedro Martinez" level prospect to get Pomeranz. Right now, Shields is at least serviceable and has #3 starter upside. Free agent pickins' are slim this off-season, that means the mediocre SPs are going to be overpriced. Shields is only costing us cash ($11M/year for the next 2 years--which is low for a #3 SP). We got him on a big discount and if he pitches like he has, he can be useful. We can always flip him next year if we tank again.

Jones. I think you hold Jones because of his contract. They signed him at a setup man price, but have a potential closer should they decide to move Robertson. He's an injury risk, but could very well be the closer of the future for us. I think you'll see them keep both of these players for the rest of the season. Just my prediction!

It was rebuild time 3 years ago...now it's blow it up and run it over with a bulldozer time. Will it actually happen? Most likely not, just saying what I would do. I don't see anyway this team gets better without getting a lot worse 1st. Setup man and #4 starter are the least of my worries for the 2017 Sox to be honest with you. If I were GM I would be in full blown tank mode from now until the end of '18 simply trying to acquire as many assets as possible. Of course most fans don't want to hear that, but in my opinion it's the best way to make this team a championship contender again. Sick of watching this front office trying to patch a crumbling foundation only to watch it fall down again.

If you are talking bullpen, Jones is the top trade chit.

Saw what the Mariners did today? Made a move. Not really selling- just a half a step back for a good chance at 2 steps forward. Improved their organization - Vogelbach isn't that far away. Kind of like the Eaton trade...Hahn's best score, but one he refuses to repeat.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 07:09 PM)
If you are talking bullpen, Jones is the top trade chit.

Saw what the Mariners did today? Made a move. Not really selling- just a half a step back for a good chance at 2 steps forward. Improved their organization - Vogelbach isn't that far away. Kind of like the Eaton trade...Hahn's best score, but one he refuses to repeat.

Pretty much my point. I'm not worried about losing the setup man on a bad team for a chance to trade for a young position player. Jones is better than Montgomery and Vogelbach would instantly be our best hitting prospect besides maybe Collins (not counting Anderson).

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 02:51 PM)

They need to take advantages of opportunities, including any deals for shields or Jones.

It's either like they want to do a mass sell-off (which will always include some giveaways) or start buying veterans. This is a good time for nuance...ears and eyes open, and see what's available to get younger and build the org.

Q for Puig and a few prospects

Q for Bregman, Reed and maybe a few others

Q for Baez and few other prospects

I actually believe that any of these trades will not hurt our chanced this year and will vastly improve them in the future

QUOTE (Condor13 @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 09:07 PM)
Q for Puig and a few prospects

Q for Bregman, Reed and maybe a few others

Q for Baez and few other prospects

I actually believe that any of these trades will not hurt our chanced this year and will vastly improve them in the future

One of these things is not like the others...

Anyways I still don't think Q or Sale are moved at the deadline, unless a team really screws their future by overpaying. More likely an offseason move.

I do think that Melky, Frazier, Lawrie, MiGo, Robertson, Duke and Jennings will be on the block though. Anyone with modest value with ~ 2 seasons or less of control (and Jennings, selling high).

Timing is everything. We appear to be a very good match on a few fronts with Texas right now, with the Sox as sellers (as if there was any question about that at this point).

Jurickson Profar would look magnificent in Sox stripes matched up the middle with Tim Anderson for the next several years.

I don't love the Rangers system...Gallo is flawed. Huge power but I'm afraid he's a .230 hitter in the MLB. Profar is nice, but as others have said, the lack of years of control makes him less appealing.

Houston and Boston should be the targets to try and strike a major deal with in my opinion.