Dodgers kicking Tires on Q

Chisoxfn

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/what-makes-cl...&soc_trk=ma

5. Jose Quintana being the guy who goes somewhere. Quintana is one of the most underrated pitchers in baseball, a 27-year-old left-hander owed just $40 million through 2020. One could argue it’s every bit as good a deal as Sale’s, and the White Sox are treating it accordingly.

One source said the price on Quintana is nearly as high as that on Sale. Another characterized it thusly: “They’re treating him like a [No.] 1.” Quintana’s track record doesn’t sparkle quite like Sale’s, but considering the options on the starting-pitching market, not to mention that a week of haggling remains, the White Sox’s tack with their pitchers is proper.

If not Sale or Quintana, who? Jeremy Hellickson? Andrew Cashner? Edinson Volquez? Ervin Santana? With Rich Hill’s blister slowing up his market, the Rays asking for the moon on Jake Odorizzi and Matt Moore, the prospects of Julio Teheran and Anthony DeSclafani being dealt unlikely, and the rest of the candidates underwhelming, it’s how a guy like …

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sox Fan In Husker Land @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 11:54 AM)
It's the Dodgers call. Do they want to win this year, and have another ace to go with Kershaw (who can opt out after 2018) for the future or do they try to hope to make the playoffs with their current rotation and hope Kershaw is able to pitch again this year?

Here's a fun fact the Dodgers are 42-42 in games not started by Clayton Kershaw. They are 14-2 in Kershaw starts this year. They currently have a 2 game lead for the 1st WC, and a 2.5 game lead on the 2nd WC. Their current 4 man rotation is Maeda, McCarthy (coming off TJ surgery), Kazmir, and Norris. Urias, is back at AAA and on an innings limit. If they plan on making the postseason they need another quality starter point blank.

Again looking at the free agent market available in the winter, there is nobody they can go out and buy remotely close to the caliber of Sale or Q for next year. If they want to win this year they better be prepared to dish out a lot of top prospects/young players for Sale or Q, and that includes Urias and De Leon.

Exact-a-mundo

QUOTE (Sox Fan In Husker Land @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)
It's the Dodgers call. Do they want to win this year, and have another ace to go with Kershaw (who can opt out after 2018) for the future or do they try to hope to make the playoffs with their current rotation and hope Kershaw is able to pitch again this year?

Here's a fun fact the Dodgers are 42-42 in games not started by Clayton Kershaw. They are 14-2 in Kershaw starts this year. They currently have a 2 game lead for the 1st WC, and a 2.5 game lead on the 2nd WC. Their current 4 man rotation is Maeda, McCarthy (coming off TJ surgery), Kazmir, and Norris. Urias, is back at AAA and on an innings limit. If they plan on making the postseason they need another quality starter point blank.

Again looking at the free agent market available in the winter, there is nobody they can go out and buy remotely close to the caliber of Sale or Q for next year. If they want to win this year they better be prepared to dish out a lot of top prospects/young players for Sale or Q, and that includes Urias and De Leon.

This is pitch perfect.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)
Where does he work out of? Hm...

Rabbit share more details!! You think it is Q, Sale or Robertson we are talking with Boston? Or a combination of the 2 of them. I assuem Robertson for sure, given their bullpen needs

QUOTE (Sox Fan In Husker Land @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)

Kershaw is still very questionable with his spine issues. Hopefully this pushes them into the trade.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 03:07 PM)
I don't think Sale goes but at the same time if he was involved in serious talks I probably wouldn't hear about it so who knows.

what you puts the odds on Q and/or Robertson being moved this week? thanks man as always!

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 01:13 PM)
what you puts the odds on Q and/or Robertson being moved this week? thanks man as always!

He and others have already stated: high.

My guess is we go through a quiet period for a couple days here leading up to the deadline frenzy... Which the White Sox will be at the center of.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 04:10 PM)
If anyone listening can let us know that would be great.

Basically that Sale's trade value hasn't slipped at all and the Sox don't have any motivation to move either him or Quintana unless they get a huge package.

The more this drags on I see its going to be Q moved probably right before the deadline where the Sox get max value for him. Have that team throw in one more piece. Why would they trade him today or tomorrow no matter what is offered? You have to be sure you have allowed every team possible all the time allowed to put all their chips in. I dont see anything happening until the day of the deadline at the very earliest but most likely up until that last couple hours.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 04:25 PM)
The more this drags on I see its going to be Q moved probably right before the deadline where the Sox get max value for him. Have that team throw in one more piece. Why would they trade him today or tomorrow no matter what is offered? You have to be sure you have allowed every team possible all the time allowed to put all their chips in. I dont see anything happening until the day of the deadline at the very earliest but most likely up until that last couple hours.

Right they should only move now if the deal is truly astronomical because one team is trying to get the pieces before another. Otherwise wait until the deal improves.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 03:31 PM)
Right they should only move now if the deal is truly astronomical because one team is trying to get the pieces before another. Otherwise wait until the deal improves.

Exactly. I trust Hahn because they don't have to move him. They could do it in the offseason. Same for Sale although I think Boston ponies up for Q rather than Sale.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 04:41 PM)
Exactly. I trust Hahn because they don't have to move him. They could do it in the offseason. Same for Sale although I think Boston ponies up for Q rather than Sale.

I'm confident they'll get the best deal available because like you said they don't have to move them. However, I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will insist there were better deals out there.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 03:44 PM)
I'm confident they'll get the best deal available because like you said they don't have to move them. However, I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will insist there were better deals out there.

The only way I will, is if they don't land Moncada back. He absolutely needs to headline this deal if Boston acquires Quintana. Considering the market and some of the returns lately, Quintana is worth Moncada and Benintendi+.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 04:50 PM)
The only way I will, is if they don't land Moncada back. He absolutely needs to headline this deal if Boston acquires Quintana. Considering the market and some of the returns lately, Quintana is worth Moncada and Benintendi+.

Including both of those in a deal for Quintana seems like high. I can see one of them. We'll see how the market plays out.

I wish the Sox would now wait and at least see what a real manager can do with our core team next season. But we'll probably hire a novice to manage again.

Anyhow anybody with half a brain or 1/4 brain would think the group of Sale, Q, Rodon, Shields just might be something to uh, work with, en route to a division title. And just maybe Jones could be groomed to be the new closer or that top draft pick whose name I always forget.

How easy is it to realize the key for the White Sox is to keep the group of Sale, Q, Rodon, Shields, Nate. Also keep Abreu, Eaton and Anderson and dump everybody else and get what you can. Then see what a real manager can do with the group.

Robertson, Lawrie, both catchers, Avi, Melky, Frazier all can bring valuable return.

Try it again with the core group AND a fricking experienced manager. In the offseason sign Leyland to a ONE YEAR deal. Tell Jim to study our roster and give us a pennant. Hire a coach in waiting to go with Leyland, whoever the f*** you want it to be.

The Sox have to be the only organization in humanity that keeps trying stuff yet NEVER changes the damn manager. Maybe it wouldn't matter, but I do have a sneaky suspicion the team's CORE group might be something a GOOD manager could work with.

p.s. what i'm saying also is trading Q is a bad idea.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 04:27 PM)
Including both of those in a deal for Quintana seems like high. I can see one of them. We'll see how the market plays out.

Neither are a guarantee. What you get with Q has been established minus the chance of an injury. So Hahn better get both.