White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 02:28 PM)
I would be ok with that Dodgers trade. Urias is a phenom.

Urias is great, but how is trading a great pitcher today for a (potentially) great pitcher a year or two from now really improving this team and its many holes? Best case scenario if Urias is great is that you change from a cheaply-signed ace to a super-cheap arb-eligible ace. That doesn't really move the needle for this team.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Evan Grant's latest article(Rangers beat writer) referring to the White Sox and Rays

"The good news on this is this: There has been significant dialogue. Dialogue often leads to last-minute compromise in which both teams are willing to acquiesce a bit to the other's demands and in exchange for compromises on the other side."

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas-rang...ing-alternative

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 02:34 PM)
Urias is great, but how is trading a great pitcher today for a (potentially) great pitcher a year or two from now really improving this team and its many holes? Best case scenario if Urias is great is that you change from a cheaply-signed ace to a super-cheap arb-eligible ace. That doesn't really move the needle for this team.

That isn't all you would get. You'd get 4-5 other guys, at least one or two of which would be expected to be long term starters.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 02:34 PM)
In Evan Grant's latest article(Rangers beat writer) referring to the White Sox and Rays

"The good news on this is this: There has been significant dialogue. Dialogue often leads to last-minute compromise in which both teams are willing to acquiesce a bit to the other's demands and in exchange for compromises on the other side."

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas-rang...ing-alternative

What this writer doesn't seem to understand is it's not like Sale is going to be a free agent after this season, or next season, or the season after that. There is no need for the White Sox to compromise. Either meet the price or scram.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 02:29 PM)
If I am Hahn, I am not trading Sale without getting those two plus some. Case closed and if it was the off-season I'd want one of Betts / Bradley plus one of Moncada / Benitendi and their best pitching prospect. Now some of you may say I am delusional, but that is what it would take if I were the GM.

Agreed. I like the added element of telling Boston they can get Sale now for a packaged headlined by Moncada and Benintendi today, but in the offseason would have to include one of Betts/Bogarts/Bradley.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 02:34 PM)

It wasn't a 1 for 1 proposal...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 02:36 PM)
That isn't all you would get. You'd get 4-5 other guys, at least one or two of which would be expected to be long term starters.

The specific quoted proposal was Urias, Verdugo/Bellinger, and two "lower level guys." That is not enough, IMO. My overall point though is that a SP should not be the headliner of a potential Sale trade.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 03:29 PM)
If I am Hahn, I am not trading Sale without getting those two plus some. Case closed and if it was the off-season I'd want one of Betts / Bradley plus one of Moncada / Benitendi and their best pitching prospect. Now some of you may say I am delusional, but that is what it would take if I were the GM.

I would add they traded away their top pitching prospect who was in the lower minors last week. Remember the Red Sox have not developed a good pitcher they drafted in years. Also, if they could get Betts in the deal( offseason), they would not move Benitendi. So a Betts/Moncada + a lower prospect might be a viable option for Sale only. .

Edited by SCCWS

I may be in the minority here, but I would strongly consider Betts straight up for Sale. If Boston added in another decent prospect it's a no brainer. But I don't think it's realistic to expect Boston to be trading one of the best players in their ML roster, even for Sale.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)
I may be in the minority here, but I would strongly consider Betts straight up for Sale. If Boston added in another decent prospect it's a no brainer. But I don't think it's realistic to expect Boston to be trading one of the best players in their ML roster, even for Sale.

There is no outfielder in the game other than Trout that you should ever consider trading Chris Sale straight up for.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)

I unfortunately don't think we are in the position where 1 for 1 deals are possible

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 02:58 PM)
You MAY be in the minority? I think that's a safe assumption.

I guess it's too be expected. Of course people on a team specific message board are going to overrate the value of their owns teams players. I'm sure there are threads on a Red Sox message board where people are trying to come up with trades for Sale that don't involve Betts, Xander, Moncada, Benintendi, etc. Dave Cameron (only one persons opinion, but still) recently had Mookie Betts 7th on his trade value column and Sale in 16th. If you are going by fWAR, Betts has *slightly* under performed Sale the past 2 years but he is also younger, cheaper, and has more team control. I also think the fact Sale's stuff and peripherals have declined this year aren't being considered enough when we're talking about potentially trading him.

What would adding Betts do for the White Sox anyway? Sure, he's a great player, but we still wouldn't be world series contenders with him and no Sale in the rotation. Obviously when we are talking Sale we expect BOTH quality and quantity. But I don't think the quantity part can be overlooked. The cupboards are bare in terms of offensive talent in the entire system. 1 guy isn't going to change anything, we need to accumulate talent.

Even if Boston was willing to do Betts straight up for Sale (and I don't think they would), it still doesn't make sense for this team. All you're doing is filling one hole and creating another, and it's not like there's a bunch of SP prospects banging on the door in our farm. It's completely pointless. If Sale is traded you need to fill multiple holes, not just one.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 03:20 PM)
Perhaps a dumb question, but I'll ask even though I'm sure it's never come up.

Would Chris Sale for Mike Trout be a fair trade? Would this help both teams, and metrically, should a team even trade an every day player for a pitcher?

That would be an interesting debate. The big anti with Trout is he is getting into a really big contract very soon.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 01:19 PM)
Not nearly as smart as us message board posters. Not. Even. Close.

I think most fan board posters readily admit they aren't qualified professionals.. just fans spouting an opinion

On the other hand, you have the Sox Front Office.. and in the words of Bill Shakespeare:

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool

. William Shakespeare

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 03:36 PM)
Teams describing #whitesox as more open than ever on Sale, but that price remains so high that trade is doubtful. But definitely listening

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/759123921836867584

I think this means that someone is going to take the bait in the last hours to grab Sale and give a ransom. Sale is the sexiest piece on the market in a really long time and probably the sexiest there will ever be in a really long time. I bet someone takes the bait and gives up more than they know they should.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 03:46 PM)
I think this means that someone is going to take the bait in the last hours to grab Sale and give a ransom. Sale is the sexiest piece on the market in a really long time and probably the sexiest there will ever be in a really long time. I bet someone takes the bait and gives up more than they know they should.

Sale is too great to pass up. A part of me thinks a team gives into the Sox demands. And I hope that team is Boston.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 03:09 PM)
Even if Boston was willing to do Betts straight up for Sale (and I don't think they would), it still doesn't make sense for this team. All you're doing is filling one hole and creating another, and it's not like there's a bunch of SP prospects banging on the door in our farm. It's completely pointless. If Sale is traded you need to fill multiple holes, not just one.

Exactly. You can argue that Betts is just as(if not more) valuable as Sale but if you're trading Chris it has to be for a package of players. A one for one deal makes no sense for our Sox at this point.